Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#58574 - 12/01/00 08:47 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Opening a Starbucks in Spain seems to me like an American firm opening a school there to teach Spanish to Spaniards.
Cantabene

#58575 - 12/01/00 08:59 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
We recently got our first Starbucks here in Columbus, Ohio, USA a couple months ago. While I haven't tried it here, I did try it in Seattle, Washington in the early 1990s. It was okay, but nothing special.

No, I can't imagine a Starbucks coffee/café anywhere in Spain. Coffee is so sacred in Spain that I can't imagine the government would even allow a franchise to open there. Plus, as connie said, Spanish coffee is so good that I doubt a Starbucks would survive very long with their current 'American' recipe. I'm sure even Starbucks knows this.

FYI: The Onion newspaper online is, um, TheOnion.com

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58576 - 12/01/00 09:21 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
Ana,

Starbucks is a nationwide (and international) chain of coffee bars. It originated in Seatle, Washington and spread quickly. They offer "gourmet" coffee and lots of espresso drinks. Prices range from $2.00-$5.00 per drink.

#58577 - 12/01/00 09:47 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
Ana Offline

Loc: Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
thanks alejandro, i've seen some information at Starbucks's site

#58578 - 12/02/00 07:11 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
The funny thing about Starbucks opening in Spain is the they will serve "Spanish style" coffee, so they better make it cheaper than in USA because there are other places "Jamaica", "Gua-Gua" that are very good coffee shops.

#58579 - 12/04/00 10:20 AM Re: Starbucks in Spain
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
I think there's some hope that Spain won't become the chain disaster that is the US. When I was in Sevilla in 1994-95, a brand new giant Virgin Megastore opened on central Calle Sierpes. It was always crowded. But three years later, I went back and it was closed. It seems that the people still bought their discos at Sevilla Rock even though they browsed but didn't buy at Virgin. I think (hope, pray) that Starbucks would generate a similar reaction.

#58580 - 12/05/00 11:09 AM Re: Starbucks in Spain
alicetruck Offline

Loc: NY
I hope that you are right that Spaniards would not support Starbucks. American coffee in general is nothing to et excited about. I think they put something in Starbucks coffee to make people so addicted. When I have it, infrequently, it makes me feel really edgy (and how is it that it always tastes burned?) What is most disturbing is how there is always a line. There must be hundreds of them here in NY (in some places you can stand in front of one and see another one down the street, but there always seem to be 10 or 20 people waiting patiently for their overpriced coffee (a small regular crappy burned coffee is almost 2 dollars). Oh it makes me shiver.

#58581 - 12/11/00 08:52 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
WHO are we kidding here?! Of course they're going to Spain. It may be known as Mc Burgerbucksbox, but it'll be there!....Rev, Mike

#58582 - 12/12/00 02:13 AM Re: Starbucks in Spain
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
GOD< I just remembered why!! In 76 during my most recent pass through Paris, I recall seeing this four person obviously American ( funny how you can tell huh?) family coming from the opposite direction and as they came alongside I heard the youngest , the boy, call out, "oh goody, there's a McDonalds, now we can eat!!"..and they did!! The point...people get hooked!! The human's psyche is an extremely feeble entity at large in a jungle of corporate demons, and our sweat and blood is feeding them!! never mind ,..soon we'll fly MONSANTO AIR, drive SHELLEXON-MOBILTEXACO, and watch WARNERDISNEYTIMEPHILLIPMORRISMITSUBISHIHITACHISONYGRUNDIG vcr's.....MadridMan, how do I not say it?...Rev. Mike

#58583 - 01/20/01 05:00 PM Re: Starbucks in Spain
tipo77 Offline

Loc: Canada
I hope there is never a Starbucks in Spain. It's bad enouth you can't escape them here in North America and now they're opening all over Japan and China now! Why can't Americans just expand their cultureless homogenizing chains within their own borders and let the rest of the world be different??? We should have the right to travel without running into Americana everywhere we go!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 924 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments