MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#58496 - 01/19/01 03:31 PM Re: Morning Board
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
We (all 800 or so) couldn't ask for a nicer family!

#58497 - 01/23/01 01:28 PM Re: Morning Board
Moni215 Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I to am addictd to this message board. I check it almost 3-4 times a day. I can never get enough of it. I guess the message makes me feel closer to Spain.

I had the opportunity to visit Madrid, Spain this past July (I wish I would have known about this web site b4 my visit)I was there for 3 weeks. I went with the International Studies Association program, they sponsored a trip for Guidance Counselors and Teachers to go and learn Spanish. To say that I had a great time would be an understatement. My experience in Spain is one that I will remember for a lifetime. I had the BEST BEST time. The experience that I was able to gain outside of the classroom went way beyond the textbooks. I had the chance to vist Toledo, Cordoba, Grenada, Sevilla, as well as wet my feet in the Mediterranean Sea while on the Costa del Sol.

The trip was magnificant and I am greatful that I could fully appreciate it.
I never took Spanish in high school, although i did study French. so when I arrived in Spain, I was totally lost, because I just assumed that most people would speak English. Big mistake?
I quickly adjusted and learned enough to eat, catch the metro, and get around, and shop.
I enjoyed the culture and the laid back attitude of the people. It seemed as if people were really enjoying life, and living it to the fullest. People were actually "just chillin".
My friends and I quicky adapted to Madrid, especially the night life. We would, at times leave on the last metro train, and come back home when the train would open up the next morning. And yes, I always felt safe.
Anyway, I know that I am going on and on, but thats how i get when i get on the subject of Spain. One other thing, I also met my Spanish love while clubing, he speaks no english, and me, I just learned while there in July, so imagine that.
Well, I'll talk about that at another day and time. Thanks for letting me talk about Espana.

#58498 - 01/24/01 05:42 PM Re: Morning Board
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
MM, is it true you wanted to create a "Spanophile Kibbutz" on the outskirts of Getafe with all the other board members?

If we could all get residency I'm sure all 900 of us would be there!!!

#58499 - 01/24/01 09:12 PM Re: Morning Board
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yeah. It's true. BUT, the paper-pushing bureaucrats in Spain didn't see "the need" for such a society. A true shame. We could have been wired, interactive, and a writhing MOSH PIT of positive propaganda for their beautiful country! Sheeesh! We don't get to have ANY fun. Hmph!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58500 - 01/25/01 05:50 PM Re: Morning Board
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm SO proud of the MMMBMembers!!!!! Today, for the first time (ever??), we had postings in EVERY SINGLE English language forum!!!! Congratulations, Group!!!! WOW!

And, everyone give a warm welcome to gsobotta, MMMBMember #900!! Welcome to the group, gsobotta! We're a passionate group of those who love Spain or are trying to better educate ourselves about her. AND, in MOST cases, TRYING WITH DESPERATION to find a way to get back again, at least for a little taste if not a 4-course meal! So welcome. Enjoy. And share your dreams and memories of Spain with us all, those who appreciate them.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58501 - 01/30/01 08:33 PM Re: Morning Board
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Ok...had to add something here...
Though most of you have no clue who I am, and though I generally don't post or read (gulp!) these message boards as much as I wish I had time for, I LOVE the idea that so many people lured by Spain and Madrid can come together under such a great forum.

I am so glad, too, that Madridman put all this together...for as some of you might remember,back in the old days there used to be just the guestbook!

Tracy

#58502 - 02/02/01 09:33 AM Re: Morning Board
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

So sorry to all those who tried to access MadridMan.com this morning from about 6:30am - 9:00am eastern (East Coast time USA). Obviously, my web server was down (ARGH!!). This drives me nuts when it happens, but it does happen from time to time. The server is in New Jersey and sometimes they have weather-related problems which could cause this. Sorry!! Have a nice weekend, all! It's snowing here in Ohio.

Saludos, MadridMan

#58503 - 02/02/01 02:55 PM Re: Morning Board
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
....and its +5(f) here in Chicago! Have a nice day, everyone! (especially to ilovemadrid and Puna, safe in Hawaii, drinking Mai Tais on the beach right now, no doubt!)

#58504 - 02/02/01 02:58 PM Re: Morning Board
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Wait a minute! You're not in Hawaii at all, Puna! (save maybe in thought!) Have a nice weekend in Boston

#58505 - 03/02/01 05:09 PM Re: Morning Board
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
It don't get better than this each morning. A few cups of cafe con leche and the boards. Then my mind wanders off to Spain...

I can smell the lavender in the gardens at Aranjuez, touch the rough wooden wall of the bull ring at Chinchon, and smell the freshly baked bread in the bakery just twenty steps away from the apartment where we stay in Pinto when we visit Madrid. I can see the sparkle in the eyes of the woman who runs the bakery. She is smiling at my wife, neither knowing each others language, but communicating like women can, with hand motions, and signs, that tell each other what they mean. I can see us wandering through the farmers market in Pinto, and someone who knows us runs up, and hugs us as if we were long lost members of the family who have finally come home. I can see the tears in their eyes, and ours, as we renew the old acquaintances that mean so much.

I can see the children playing futbol in the square each evening as we walk to our favorite sidewalk cafe. I can see the owners dog, Perla, as she scampers towards my wife and I, remembering us from visits in the past. She always remembers us, and loves sitting on my wifes lap, where she gets petted and pampered like a child.

I remember my Mother who died less than a year ago. Her name was Pearl. Is it a coincidence that the dog has the same name, and cares so much? Or isn't it?

Then I ask God for his blessing, and hope that he grants me at least one more trip to Spain. We plan on going this coming September. If I should die before then, I have asked my wife to have me cremated, and a bit of my ashes carried to Spain, to be scattered over a special hillside we carry in our hearts. That way I can be there forever, and look out over the Bay of Biscay, and always be a part of Spain.

If this sounds corny, rest assured, each word comes from my heart. Its a special place, with special people, and I do thank God each day for the ties that I have to the country, the culture, and the people.

Anyway... thats what this board means to me.

Wolf

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments