Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#58399 - 11/27/00 06:34 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jaime Offline

Cafe Sevilla is aboiut 10x bigger than our restaurant here. Usually true authenticy comes with having a small establishment(like the bars and cafes in Spain) with an actual native cooking. A place that size is going to be selling a gimic because there are serving mass quantites of people. The cooks are not likely to be Spanish either. I'm sure 99.9% would have to be Mexican. However, Jamon serrano and Queso Manchego is a welcome treat for me anywhere I can get it here.

In the places I mentioned in Chicago, we have actually met the chef and he is a Spaniard.

The place my family has is super small, only about 15 tables, my suegra prepares everything herself from scratch and the decor comes from her personal belongings from Spain and her own artwork. Most regulars that are Spaniards say here paella is better than in Spain.

Many times we get complaints from ignorant people that know nothing about Spanish food, stuff like....Why is there only olive oil for the bread and no butter, Why are these coldcuts so fatty(salchichon), Why isn't this spicy, can I have some tabasco or chiles(think its the same as mexican)

When these things happen....she tells them theres a a Mcdonald's down the street!!

To say the least her Spanish flair has made her sonewhat of a celebrity in the area.

[This message has been edited by Jaime (edited 11-27-2000).]

#58400 - 12/01/00 12:01 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jaime Offline

Sheba and any other posters that are interested....Down below is the link that will take you to a newspaper review of the restaurant I was talking about.
http://www.jsonline.com/dd/dinmil/donquijote.asp

#58401 - 12/01/00 02:06 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Jaime--

Thumbs up to Cafe BaBareeba and (especially) Cafe Iberico in Chicago. Emilio's Tapas in Hillside is said to be the best Spanish restauratnt in the Chicago area, but I don't live near Hillside, so have never been BUT!!!, Emilio's just opened a second location on the North Side (mi barrio) on Fullerton Ave., so I'll be checking that out soon!

#58402 - 12/01/00 03:28 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
There's also an Emilio's on Lincoln Ave. in Lincoln Park, right across from Tower Records.

#58403 - 12/01/00 05:09 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I think we are speaking of the same location, Jen. 444 W. Fullerton Pkwy. There is also one now at 215 E. Ohio! Emilio is gettin' around!

#58404 - 12/01/00 08:15 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
DAMN! How lucky are you??!! (yes, I think it's okay to say "damn", don't you agree??) We only have ONE Spanish restaurant here in Columbus, called Spain Restaurant . Unfortunately, as wonderful and authentic as it is, it's SO expensive that I've only visited once, last winter. A MadridMan fan came to Columbus for a work-related training course and he invited me for dinner. Wasn't that nice of him? We had tapas (gambas al ajillo and fried chorizo) and I had the veal. All topped off with sangria. Mmmm.. So good.

Jaime. I have nothing to do this weekend (except spend 13-hours a day on the computer). How 'bout if I come to Wisconin for some good, old fashioned Spanish cooking? Mmmm... <salivating..>

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58405 - 12/01/00 09:10 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jaime Offline

MadridMan, I'd be happy to share with you some of my favorite Spanish recipes that are the most popular at the restaurant. The menu from the review is somewhat different since that was four years ago but the newspaper critic was right when he said everything was very authentic. I'll write out a couple recipes later and send them as an attachment to whomever wants them and you don't need any special imported foods to make them either. Have good weekend everyone.

#58406 - 12/01/00 09:28 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
Any other posters in Texas?

#58407 - 12/11/00 09:08 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
What a charming invitation, a countrywide Spanish restaurant list seems to formulating........Rev. Mike

#58408 - 01/08/01 07:00 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Sol Offline

Jaime:

I'm interested in the receipes. Did you poet them somewhere else?

Regards

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments