Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#58379 - 11/20/00 01:31 PM Open invitation in WI
Jaime Offline

Hello all board members, I was just reading about some of you getting together in LA for a night of raciones y Flamenco. I realize probably not a single one of you are from Wisconsin but if anyone is ever passing through for business or visiting in Milwaukee, my husband's family has the only Spanish resaturant in the city. They serve all kinds of spanish cuisine, sangria, rioja wines etc... and have Flamenco dancing on the weekend. Mi suegra madrilena prepares everything and its fabulous. This is an open invitation to all board members at any time. Jaime

#58380 - 11/20/00 01:46 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Thank you! My sister lives in Milwaukee, and I am sure I will be visiting her soon. Well, maybe after March, I am not a total masochist..

I will definitely take her there!

#58381 - 11/20/00 01:47 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WHAT?!! Hehehe.. Thanks for the invitations. Sounds great! But I just gave a lengthy reply to your search for a kind of sales job in Spain and here you say your mother in law is from Madrid which means, I suppose, your husband is from Madrid too. Hmmph! Sheesh! ARGH!! You can just waltz over there NOW, get yourself a work permit (semi-easily since you're married to a madrileño), and get yourself to work. HMPH! I'm envious! Why won't MY madrileña ladyfriend marry me??!! <boo hoo hoo!!!> Best of luck to you!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58382 - 11/21/00 06:06 AM Re: Open invitation in WI
nevado Offline

MadridMan...have you asked her?????

#58383 - 11/21/00 08:01 AM Re: Open invitation in WI
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Nevado, only about a thousand times. But, we digress.....

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58384 - 11/21/00 11:42 AM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Maybe we all better sit down that ladyfriend of yours and just give her a good talking to!! Someone as smart, handsome, charming and funny as you!?
Maybe 2001 will be your year, MadridMan...

Either way, have a great Thanksgiving!
Jen

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 11-21-2000).]

#58385 - 11/21/00 06:43 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jaime Offline

My mother in law left Madrid when she was 19 yrs old because of political hardships in Spain. The rest of her family had already emmigrated to Venezuela and were waiting for her to finish her eduacation in Madrid. She attended college in Caracas where she met her husband and had her family. After the economic crash and 100% inflation in Venezuela a few years ago, the whole family moved to Milwaukee. My suegra still visits her family in Spain and they come here to visit a couple times a year. We are elegible for Spanish citizenship after a year wait but wouldn't do much good because my husband wants to live here. He has waited his whole life to come here and I've waited my whole life to leave. Ironic isn't it? So Madridman any help with looking for International Co.'s would be a big help. And once again the dinner invitation is open to everyone, especially after the freezing weather.

#58386 - 11/21/00 06:53 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Jaime, I know what you mean about your husband wanting to be here and you wanting to go there. My husband is the only one in his family to live outside of Spain. I agree that we have more advantages, economically, here...but what about true quality of life?
Anyway, i've stopped pushing him for now and settle for our yearly visits. Maybe once we have kids and they reach school age, he'll reconsider. One can dream, can't she?

#58387 - 11/21/00 10:44 PM Re: Open invitation in WI
Jaime Offline

I guess we're in the same boat Laduque. I guess it all depends on what determines your standard for a good quality of life. I'm fascinated by different cultures and would like to see and experience everything. My husband on the other hand is already living his American dream. I have never had to put up with the political, social and economic problems my husband's family has so for me its easy to dream of someplace more exotic. For him, its the best to be able to be in a place where things are relatively stable and there is lots of opportunity.
I guess I'm a spoiled American because all I can think of is drinking a bottle of vino tinto and taking a long siesta afterwards.

#58388 - 11/22/00 12:33 AM Re: Open invitation in WI
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
"The grass is always greener, or so they say..."
There is no such thing as a utopian society, as we all know, and there are pros and cons to every place and situation, I guess it depends on what we are willing to give up or just get used to.
When we get together with our Spanish friends here, sure, we reminisce about everything Spanish, but in reality, they are here for a reason. They sacrificed leaving their family and all things familiar to start a "better" life. For my husband, it was economic opportunity, possibly a means to get back to Spain and be better off for it.
I dream of the magical land that is Spain, but in reality, am I capable of leaving my family and my dear friends and all that is familiar to me? In all my travels, I think I can do this in Spain, for I feel the most at home there. A sort of peace I have yet to experience, even in my native home of Santa Fe.
Wow? did I just get heavy on you guys?

I guess when becoming a "member" of this board, one tends to go on just a bit more!

I guess, Jaime, Iberically speaking, we are very fortunate to be married to Spaniards, and their wonderful, exuberant, challenging (sometimes),stubborn way of life is a blessing everyday!

(We should start a thread on being married to Spaniard!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments