Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5825 - 06/24/03 01:06 AM Are hostals really hotels?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I think so.

In my career as "The Pied Piper of Madrid", (sub-Madrid Man), I have had trouble convincing my friends to stay in hostals when in Spain. To the number they associate the word hostal with youth hostels. Maybe it's time to convince the Spanish tourist authorities to call them all hotels like the rest of Europe. wink

#5826 - 06/24/03 04:48 AM Re: Are hostals really hotels?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Mongo --
I agree with you, whenever I can, I prefer to stay in a hostal rather than a hotel, and then use the money saved in the difference to enjoy the Spanish tapas! smile

I think there are certain criteria that must be met in order to be considered a hotel rather than a hostal, but I am not certain. Perhaps to be considered a hotel, each room must have its own bathroom, reception must be open 24 hrs/day and there must be an availability of food for room service. However, don´t quote me on that.

I, too, try to convince my friends to stay in hostals, afterall, they didn´t cross the Atlantic to stay in a hotel room watching TV!

laugh

#5827 - 06/24/03 05:49 AM Re: Are hostals really hotels?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Mongo, you've just opened "MadridMan's Can-O'-Worms" but I'll try to restrain myself this time as I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing it from me.

But in short (if possible), I agree with you. I too wish that the Spanish tourism bureau would RENAME this, probably, 1,000-year old word of "Hostal" to "0-star Hotel" - although "0-star Hotel" doesn't sound all that nice either.

But the Spanish tourism bureau has not and won't likely rename these establishments. Instead, when translating the word "hostal" to English they use the word "hostel". (uh-oh.. I'm startin' to roll now....)

I/We often see English-speakers attempting to 'make plural' the Spanish word "hostal" into "hostals" when the word "hostals" doesn't actually exist in any language. In Spanish, the plural of "hostal" is "hostales".

Only Spain and Latin America use the term "hostal" and I have to make the explanation each time I'm speaking in English and use the word "hostel" for "hostal". When speaking English we must use English words. When speaking Spanish we must use Spanish words. If we mix them we get "Spanglish" - something I don't support but understand it's sometimes necessary when making sure your audience will understand.

I'd rather Spain/Latin America use instead the word "Pension" or ("Pensión" in Spanish) and this way EVERYONE can make and understand the distinction with no problem. Pensions (or "pensiones" in Spanish) are usually identical to hostels (called "hostale" in Spanish - and shouldn't be confused with the English word "youth-hostels" which is "albergues juveniles" in Spain/Spanish - afterall, "outside of Spain and Latin America, in English, people abbreviate the term "youth-hostels" to the term "hostels" and this is where the confusion begins) but the establishment may have fewer rooms or some other parameter set forth by the city council who says what is a pension ("pensión") and what is a hostel ("hostal") and what is a hotel ("hotel" - HEY! That's the same word!!! - but pronounced differently in Spanish).

I'll leave it there. This is one of those things in life which seems to have become an "project of educating the masses" but seems to be futile. There will always be new people who haven't heard/read/understand the distinction and I'll explain it all over again. Spanish is definitely different from English and somethings aren't easily translated into English. Sometimes we're more confused AFTER the translation than before. Ever read the English version of a hostel's website and not really understand it until you go and read the Spanish version of the same page?

Okay. Enough. Mongo, I agree with you but I don't think we have the power to collectively change the 1,000-year old word "hostal" to something else so the rest of the non-Spanish speaking world can more easily understand. Chalk it up to the differences in language.

I too have difficulty convincing people to stay in hostels/pensions instead of hotels. They think, afterall, if the establishment is run by "normal people" that it can't be clean, safe, charming, or nice. The first time someone encounters one of these hostels with its small room, small bathroom, thin(ner) walls, and an innkeeper that doesn't speak English might very well put off a newbie.

Enough for now (didn't I already say this?). Gotta go to work. Have a nice day, everyone!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5828 - 06/24/03 10:50 AM Re: Are hostals really hotels?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I have stayed at Hostals that are Hotels: Hostal Hogar San Francisco in Santiago de Compostela (Category 3-star) and Hostal Picos de Europa in Potes (Liebana, Cantabria). Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos (the Parador) may be the correct name for the 5-star lujo Hotel (that used to be a Hospital) in Santiago. rolleyes

I have stayed at Hostals like Hostal Liebana in Santander that were more like Residenciales (as they are known in Portugal) - 1-floor of a multi floor residential apartment building; and I have stayed in a private family piso (also in Santander) which carried a Spanish Tourist Board certification as a 2-star Hostal. The owners said that was the highest rating for a Hostal.
Quote:
Are Hostals really Hotels?
I guess the correct answer to that is: some are; some aren't. confused

#5829 - 06/26/03 06:04 PM Re: Are hostals really hotels?
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
All I have to add is that yes, a 'hostal' is quite addequate for a vacation. I just call them hotels when explaining to people here where I stayed. You know, the accomodations are usually as good if not better than most 'motels' in the US and are even cheaper.

A night at a typical Motel 6 can cost at least $35 bucks in most parts of the US, and there are plenty of 'hostales' in downtown Madrid that go for 25-30 Euros a night. I have yet to stay at a poor one.

BTW, every hostal I stayed at was one recommended on this here sight by Madrid man - Sonsoles for example - and I would like to say that MadridMan has provided quite a service to people who do their homework and check out each and every one (like I did) he lists for most competitive rates, location, and ammenities.

#5830 - 06/26/03 07:22 PM Re: Are hostals really hotels?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Eddie: You're right on with the parador name in Santiago.

Having stayed in both a youth "hostel" [Denmark] and the five star GL [gran lujo] "Hostal" dos Reis Católicos in Compostela, I can assure you that aside from both rooms having a bed, there are no further similarities! laugh

Hostal is not hostel.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 801 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments