MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#58132 - 10/26/00 07:56 PM Re: Impressions of Madrid October 2000
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Fun accounts! But it is FLAMENCO, not flamigo, which is a tropical bird. And I believe Bose is half portuguese, no? Son of some matador and some actress, if I remember the thing. LOVED Bose in the Almodovar movie, Tacones Lejanos (High Heels)

#58133 - 10/26/00 08:05 PM Re: Impressions of Madrid October 2000
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
What was her role in that movie? I have a terrible addiction to Almodovar, but never seem to remember the names of the actors (except Victoria Abril). That is going to drive me nuts!!!

Nevermind, you were tallking about Miguel Bose the singer playing el inspector, no?. Neeeeeeeeeevermind... (guess I have to read more carefully next time)

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 10-26-2000).]

#58134 - 10/27/00 09:51 AM Re: Impressions of Madrid October 2000
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Rgf - flamingo is flamenco in Spanish. I suspect it's Steve's little joke (There are flamencos in Spain, by the way).

[This message has been edited by El Boqueron (edited 10-27-2000).]

#58135 - 10/27/00 01:38 PM Re: Impressions of Madrid October 2000
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
No it wasn't a joke. I’m a terrible speller and I have got far worse since learning Spanish. Thanks for the correction. No time for an account today because I’ve got a full night ahead.

Hasta luego!

#58136 - 10/29/00 03:55 PM Re: Impressions of Madrid October 2000
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
A day in a maze:

The Prado really is one of my favourite ports of call when in Madrid, but please tell me which team of village idiots designed the layout. I think that was my third visit and there is no way, even when completely sober, that I can navigate round the place in anything like a logical and planned manner.
I seem to drift from gallery to gallery never quite knowing if I’ve missed some top class masterpiece in some cleverly hidden anti-chamber.
My favourite artist is without doubt Goya especially his country scenes (serie de cartones para la decoración de tapices en los palacios reales) and from these el Paseo de Andalucía or also know as a ‘maja’ and gallants (anybody know why its got two titles?) which for some obscure reason I cant purchase in the shop.
I have previously purchased a canvassed version of el otoño, which sits nicely framed on a wall at home. The work of Goya seems to fit in very timely with happenings in both his private life and the events taking place in the surrounding world. With the black, deep, sullen and thought provoking (Pinturas Negras) reflecting a worsening in his health and the invasion of Spain by Napoleon.

Next comes, of course comes, in my pecking order, Velázquez with the very famous Las Meninas and the religious scenes of El Greco. But for those unfortunate enough not to have visited the Prado be prepared for cultural overload and make a timely retreat to the basement restaurant. On arriving there I met a fellow Englishman who was due to make his way to Sevilla the next day. Also two blokes from Amsterdam who asked me if I had ever visited Amsterdam. Yes I replied. We exchanged stories about Amsterdam. I find more and more that if you can speak English and Spanish you can communicate just about everywhere.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments