Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58087 - 10/18/00 05:29 PM Sunset Time?
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Dear Friends, Could anyone tell me for sure what time the sunsets in November. We will be there in Spain for most of the month and do not know especially if there is Daylight savings as there is in NY. Thank You, Bill Ski

#58088 - 10/18/00 06:43 PM Re: Sunset Time?
connie Offline

They have daylight savings as well. I cannot tell you the exact time of the sunset, but I am pretty sure it is later than in New York, since Spain is on the Western edge of the respective time zone and New York rather on the Eastern side of the Eastern time zone. Thus both sunrise and sunset are a bit shifted, both is later in Spain. In Boston, for my taste the sunset is far too early, all year long- I guess New York is comparable.

#58089 - 10/19/00 05:35 PM Re: Sunset Time?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If you want to get a good look at the sunset itself, go to www.crtvg.es and check out some of the web cams they have on the site. This is TV-Galicia, and if you click on the "End of the World Cam" you can see about the latest the sun is out in Spain. Recently, I've been noticing that the sun is down by about 8:30 p.m., but I haven't checked in a couple of weeks. At any rate, in the upper corner, it gives you the actual time. Even if this idea doesn't help, the link is pretty cool since you get to look in on Spain "en vivo". Have fun!

#58090 - 10/20/00 06:16 AM Re: Sunset Time?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
In the south it gets dark about 7pm in november. They go over to daylight savings (or whatever) at the end of october, so that'll be an hour off CaliBasco's 8:30.

[This message has been edited by El Boqueron (edited 10-20-2000).]

#58091 - 10/20/00 05:11 PM Re: Sunset Time?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Hey, I'm curious, when I lived in Spain in 1988-1990, there was no daylight savings time to speak of, I remember asking about it in April of 1989, and getting blank stares from all queried. Is that something that they've adopted recently? I was under the impression that we were the only locos who messed with the daytime schedule... I guess I haven't paid too much attention to it in my 5 subsequent trips over to Spain since Spaniards don't seem to gauge their activity by the sun, but by the clock.

#58092 - 10/20/00 05:16 PM Re: Sunset Time?
connie Offline

I think the system was harmonised between the majority of the EC countries at a certain point (the UK still has its own system), I am not definitely sure when this took place, though.

#58093 - 10/20/00 05:28 PM Re: Sunset Time?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I'm not sure about the exact year but I think Spain, together with nearly all the European countries, have been using the daylight saving time schedule since the 70s.

It's very strange that people didn't know about it because the official time is changed twice a year.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: BTW, I think they change it the last Sunday of October.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#58094 - 10/26/00 05:55 PM Re: Sunset Time?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Antonio-
¡Qué curiosidad! I must've been so gaga for just being in Spain that I didn't recognize three daylight savings changes in a row...I must've had my cabeza in the nubes.

Well, you can get that way when you're in the great country of Spain! Of course you hardly notice anyway since people are out at all hours of the night whether it's light out or not!!! Thanks for the history!

#58095 - 10/26/00 06:15 PM Re: Sunset Time?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Calisbasco, just wanted to say that I really enjoy the Galicia-tv link!!

#58096 - 11/03/00 04:05 PM Re: Sunset Time?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I stumbled on that one, and I love it...sometimes at work I put it up on my screen just to "spy" on my "friends" in Santiago. I like the 1-second refresh. As per the thread: the sun sets at about 9:15 PST...which I believe is about 6 or 7 in Galicia.

I'm sure there are other links to webcams in Spain. In fact, I've seen a few in southern Spain, but I haven't memorized the links. I'm sure a webcam search would produce some good results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments