Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57903 - 10/04/00 03:53 AM 4 more days until Spain!
Natalie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm so excited...my first trip to Spain begins on Saturday (well, I get there on Sunday.) Thanks to everyone for all the great information on this board...it's been the best! I've got my reservations at Hostal Lopez, my tickets to the Alhambra, recommendations for places to eat, my money belt and my walking shoes. Except for a mild case of pickpocket paranoia, all is well.

Anyone have any last minute travel tips or advice? Anyone want to jump in my suitcase?

#57904 - 10/04/00 06:23 AM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Last minute tip! Make sure you see the Alhambra from outside as well as inside. Best view is from the Albaicin, Mirador San Nicolas.

#57905 - 10/04/00 09:17 AM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Natalie - take tons of film and an extra battery for your camera. Develop the film when you get home. Also, pack a small plastic bottle of laundry soap and buy the packets of Spray-n-Wash. They are life savers!!! If you drip cafe con leche or some good red wine on yourself you don't have to go home and change. Let us all know how your trip was - and have a great time. Hopefully, you will return loving Spain as much as we do!

#57906 - 10/04/00 02:52 PM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
Natalie Offline

Wow, Great tip about the Spray & Wash packets. I'll get some today. Will be handy if I spill stuff on my husband on the plane (which I have a horrible habit of doing.)

Keep those tips coming!

Oh, and our room in Granada is in the Albacin, so I'll keep my eye out for that great view.

#57907 - 10/05/00 04:35 AM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
El Boqueron Offline

Your room is in the Albaicin - Wow! Where? I was lucky enough to stay there, in a "Carmen", the first time I went to Granada. The Albaicin itself is magical.

#57908 - 10/05/00 04:27 PM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
Natalie Offline

http://www.granadainfo.com/most/english.htm

It's actually not this hostel. They only have 3 room (I think) and were booked. However they apparently own some apartment/rooms right around the corner for the same price, and you can have breakfast at the hostel. So we decided to try that, even though it is unseen, because staying in the Albaicin sounded MUCH more interesting than staying around Plaza Nueva.

What is a "Carmen?"

#57909 - 10/05/00 04:31 PM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
Natalie Offline

I may have just found the answer to my own question. Did you stay in Hotel Carmen de Santa Ines in the Albaicin? My place recommended this hotel, if I decided I didn't want to stay in their apartment. They said it is a 2 minute walk from their place. The price was much higher, so I decided to go with their apartment.

Is this area safe at night?

#57910 - 10/06/00 04:58 AM Re: 4 more days until Spain!
El Boqueron Offline

Hi Natalie - A Carmen is a villa with a walled garden. As far as I know the word is only used in Granada (it may be the only place which has these houses). I stayed in one owned by the University of Granada (Carmen de La Victoria). The day I left I felt I'd been kicked out of paradise (the Brit's last sigh!).

The area is perfectly safe, and you're right about it being more interesting than the Plaza Nueva. The "barrio gitano" (Sacramonte) is quite close by.

I hope you have a great time!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments