Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57841 - 09/24/00 04:50 PM Can just anybody Buy a home in Malaga.
MariFe Offline

Loc: nyny
I woould love to be able to retire in the Malaga region of Spain(Fuengirola)in 5 years. Would I be able to afford a home? What are the problems I would be facing would anyone know? My mother was from Malaga and left in 1948, alas never to return. The war changed her. But I went to visit for 3 months(in 1998) and fell in love with it. I would just love to live there. Please give me any advice you may have. Thanks for a lovey web site. Keep up the good work.

------------------
MariFe

#57842 - 09/25/00 07:38 AM Re: Can just anybody Buy a home in Malaga.
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Hi - there are certainly plenty of foreign residents in that area, so it can't be too hard.

You'll need a resident's visa (type/criteria depends on what you're planning to do). You need to contact your nearest Spanish Consulate for that.

There are many websites selling property with prices/photos/advice etc. Do a search with, e.g., "buying a home in Spain"

Here's a book on the topic that's available through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0951980440/avbdcombookmusis/104-6634550-2291964

hope that helps!

#57843 - 09/30/00 12:54 PM Re: Can just anybody Buy a home in Malaga.
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Agreed, you'll need a Residencia (Resident's Permit) which simply proves to the State that you can support yourself and won't be a burden to them. So, proof of income from a pension (for example) would be fine.

It's very easy to buy property in Spain - and therefore very easy to get "done" by cowboys. Take great care, and professional advice.

The most common problem is that property is either built without planning permission, or that the land on which it is built has not been designated for building. In either case, as the new owner, the problem of sorting it out would be yours.

Ensure there is an Escitura for the property - this is the equivalent of its title deeds and while not a guarantee of its legality, is a step in the right direction!

Also, be aware that any debts on the property (e.g. unpaid electricity bills) are transferred to the new owner, so you must check that everything is up date.

As has been said, there are many, many foreign residents living here, and, assuming you are American, you might like to contact the American Club of the Costa del Sol for more information relevant to your situation. Email me (davej@wanadoo.es) if you want their address etc.

Hope this helps!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments