Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57774 - 09/13/00 10:27 PM san jose, ca
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
hey all! i,m in san jose, california for work the next 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone knew of any spanish eateries and the like.

the barren hills outside my hotel window resemble those of most of spain. i can't help but daydream.

#57775 - 09/14/00 03:42 AM Re: san jose, ca
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
hi there miles,
i live just outside of san francisco and know the bay area's spanish restaurants quite well. there are about a dozen within ther city of san francscio and roughly half a dozen more sprinkled around the bay. one of these, patio espanol, is the spanish cultural centre for california. the building and restaurant were dedicated by juan carlos and act as a liason to the consulate. in san jose there are not any spanish restaurants that i know of. the closest one, and one of the best in the bay area, is iberia in portola valley. (about 20 minutes drive from san jose)one thing you may want to note, san jose is home to the largest portuguese population on the west coast. there is an entire district there known as little portugal. this area is on alum rock ave. there are several portuguese restaurants, bakeries, and markets that i've been to that are first rate. i'll list the spanish restaurants in the bay area that i think are your best bet.
restaurants and cities:

iberia:(closest to where you are) its excellent and well priced as its a long way from any tourist destination. its in portola valley tucked into a very non-descript strip mall. check the phone book for the address.

zarzuela: right on the hyde and beach cable car line in san francisco. its very good. quite authentic. both the owners and cooks are from madrid. my favorite of the group. its in a cute neighborhood away from the tourists.

alegrias: in cow hollow, on lombard street in san francisco. very good too. husband and wife own it. she's from madrid and he's from sevilla. they owned a restaurant in buenos aires before making it to san francisco.

patio espanol: off of alemany blvd in south san fran. this is the one i mentioned before.

pinchos: tapas, flamenco. in the mission distrct of san fran on valencia ave.

timo's: tapas, flamenco. in the mission as well. i think on 22nd st.

b-22: catalan food. quite overpriced and full of yuppies. not at all a favorite of mine. its in the middle of the financial district of san fran.

well those are the ones i'm well versed in. as i said there are many more around the bay area. i'm sorry there aren't any right in san jose for you. (at least not when i was last there a bit ago) hope this helps.

#57776 - 09/14/00 03:48 AM Re: san jose, ca
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
wanted to add that the food at b-22 is excelelent. the food from cataluna is very inventive. but i always stay out of that part of the city.(and i live here) its very overpriced and right in the middle of the tourist centre. also if you plan to travel to little portugal in san jose, try sousa's restaurant and have bacalao.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments