Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57735 - 09/13/00 06:01 PM Re: saffron(?)
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
My fiancee moved here from Spain a while back and was going to bring saffron with her, but at the last minute decided not to. Luckily for her she didn't bring it, because the customs people had a dog sniff her out. They told her that if she had brought any spices with her that are available in the states, she would have been deported. Even if it was going to be a gift. I'm not sure about the laws on that, but it just doesn't seem right. Also, speaking of customs, she said they treaeted her worse than she had ever been treated. They went through all her bags and personal belongings...Welcome to America. Just thought I'd throw that in. Anyway, I'm glad she's here.

#57736 - 01/19/01 01:10 PM Re: saffron(?)
Sol Offline

My wife and I are interested in purchasing saffron while on our forth-coming trip to Spain. We are particularly interested in the ‘thread’ version (the dried stamens, I believe) rather than the ‘powdered’ version. Is the ‘thread’ version available at “Cefran of La Mancha, with an office in Madrid (near Pueblo Nuevo metro)”?

When we were last in Spain and Tangier, we found the ‘powdered’ version widely available but we were not able to find the ‘thread’ version until we were at the airport in Madrid.

We will also be in Barcelona, Costa del Sol and wherever else the wind may blow us.

I tried to verify just how the US Custom Service views saffron by going to their site at http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/ . A search on saffron led to THE HARMONIZED TARIFF SCHEDULE OF THE UNITED STATES (1999), which is http://www.customs.gov/download/htsusa/htsusa.pdf , a non-searchable TOTALLY incomprehensible 4000 page document in the pdf format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 01-19-2001).]

#57737 - 01/19/01 01:16 PM Re: saffron(?)
Kimberley Offline

Loc: Boulder, Colorado, USA
Hi All -

Check out Penzeys at www.penzeys.com

They have pretty much any spice you could want and because the packaging is pretty minimal the prices are much better (as is the quality). The thought of paella makes me extremely hungry right now. Thanks alot guys!

Oh, and the Harmonized Tariff schedule is what I look at for a living (I work in logistics). There is no need to use this unless you want to have saffron imported and need the correct schedule B number, duty rate
and quota category. Stay away !!!

Kimberley

[This message has been edited by Kimberley (edited 01-19-2001).]

#57738 - 01/19/01 01:24 PM Re: saffron(?)
Sol Offline

Kimberley:

Thank you for your instantaneous response. We have a Penzeys in our area but, making a purchase from them is not quite the same as doing it in Spain.

Are you familiar with the 'thread' version?

If you work with the Tariff Schedule perhaps you can tell if I return with "two large tins" as in the above post, am I looking for trouble?

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited 01-19-2001).]

#57739 - 01/19/01 07:32 PM Re: saffron(?)
Wendy E Offline

Hey Sol -
I brought back some threaded saffron on the advice of the lady I stayed with in Spain and when I brought it home I could not figure out how to use it - it didn't color or flavor my food. I looked it up and read that saffron needs to be steeped in something acidic, like vinegar, for the flavor to be released. That can't be right, can it? Then wouldn't your food tasted like vinegar?

Anyway, now I use Goya powdered fake saffron and it's got zero flavor.

Anyone have other suggestions for this kitchen klutz?

#57740 - 01/19/01 08:05 PM Re: saffron(?)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
"Spice Islands" brand (in the brownish-lid) sells the threaded version. The powdered stuff is crap by comparison. The jar comes with a little envelope inside. That's how I buy it. It's available at your local GOOD supermarket (unlike Stater Bros here in SoCal). Try a 'gourmet' supermarket...

#57741 - 01/20/01 03:07 AM Re: saffron(?)
Sol Offline

Ok, confession time. My focus regarding food is on the consumption and not the preparation.

WendyE –

I’ll have to ask my wife about the steeping issue because I don’t have the foggiest notion about it.

Not to digress to far but, my wife uses some ‘threads’ in the Easter bread she makes every year for the celebration of His rise. She also uses anise and raisons in the bread.
Sorry, I had to wipe my keyboard off – drooled all over the darn thing.

I should have taken more time with Kimberley’s suggestion. I went back to the Penzey site and found a rather good explanation of saffron at http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-local/SoftCar...b0492+979984823 .

CaliBasco, it is available on line at the above link. Three different types ranging in price from $41.95 to $57.95 per ¼ ounce jar.

Also a correction to my earlier post - saffron is the stigma and not the stamen of the flower.

All of which brings me back to - can I bring it back into the USA from Spain legally?

#57742 - 01/20/01 07:07 AM Re: saffron(?)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Sol:
I've been bringing saffron back with me from every trip to Spain for decades. I've never had a problem.
Cantabene

#57743 - 01/20/01 02:10 PM Re: saffron(?)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Wendy E, I crush the threads with the back of a spoon before adding it to the dish, and get quite an explosion of color. (I've heard of steeping it in hot water, but not vinegar. I haven't tried either way.)

#57744 - 02/07/01 01:41 PM Re: saffron(?)
Sol Offline

WendyE

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Regarding the ‘steeping’ issue-

On page 176 of The Foods and Wines of Spain by Penelope Casas, the author gives a one-paragraph explanation of her view of saffron (…-imported from Spain and in strands,…) and on page 178, in her recipe for Paella a la Valenciana, she states “Heat the broth with the saffron…”

I could not find any reference to steeping saffron in vinegar.

The book is available through MM’s AllSpain page at http://www.madridman.com/market/books/food.html .

The book should also be available at your local public library.

Catabene-

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 02-07-2001).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments