Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#57586 - 08/25/00 08:36 PM What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WHOA! Did anyone catch that "momentary" change of our 'desginations' of "Member" and "Junior Member" to "Spanophile" and "Tourist"?? I've had some negative feedback so I've changed them all back to their original designation and ask your opinion about what it should be. I was hoping to make things more fun, more interesting, more descriptive for "our" kind of message board.

So what do you all think we should RE-name (if at all) "Member" and "Junior Member"?? Your opinions are valuable to me.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57587 - 08/25/00 08:55 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry to upset you, Shawn/rgf. How 'bout "Spanophile" and "Junior Spanophile"? The "Junior Spanophile" name is prettye long, but I think it could world. Or maybe "Spanofilito"????? Spanophile-In-Training"?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57588 - 08/25/00 08:55 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Madridman,

Thanks for your swift action to elimate the aforementioned titles. I hope the collective minds of our messasge board bretheren can resolve this dilema . Maybe, "veterans" and "neophytes" or perhaps no change at all is needed. I am sure some of the more creative voices on the Message Board will offer terrififc ideas.

Gracias,

Shawn
"Junior Member"
never a "tourist"

#57589 - 08/25/00 09:49 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
ok, here are my suggestions! they would replace junior member/member. member/senior member visitor/resident

#57590 - 08/25/00 10:37 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Rgf,

Great recommedations! visitor beter describes the casual message board poster; whereas, Resident beter describes those who are adding information and comments on a regular basis. Great insight as always, MadridMan would be well served to utilize your ideas.
Thanks,

Shawn

#57591 - 08/25/00 10:46 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Keep those suggestions coming. But can't we come up with something Spain-related for Members and Junior Members? How about "Spanophile" and "Junior Spanophile"?

Saludos, MadridMan

#57592 - 08/25/00 11:48 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Wendy E Offline

I'd like to be designated as "tia legal". I liked being called that.

#57593 - 08/26/00 03:12 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
¡¿Adultos y niños?!

#57594 - 08/26/00 06:21 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
For beginners: Bronce?
Then: Plateado (for those who have travelled to Spain at least 2-times or who have lived in Spain for at least a year)?
And, for the senior citizens: Dorado?
Of course each would also be available in the fem. gender (i.e., Plateada y Dorada).
Just a thought.
Eddie (Platino)
Just noticed: MadridMan had a similar set of names that came to him in a dream about the time my message was posted - this is scary!

How about 'Socio?' It translates to either Associate or Partner (either of which might be appropriate). It can also be either gender (Socia or Socia). It should be some Spanish term and I would try to avoid compound titles - they get too confusing.

Principiante y Veterano?
Novillero y Torero?

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 08-27-2000).]

#57595 - 08/26/00 08:24 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

(don't know if this came thru already) I vote NO to anything junior. How about Member and Senior Member? I don't like Spanophile, either, because etymologically it would have to be Iberophile, a bit obscure... I stick with Visitor and Resident. You Neruda (ok, CHILE) fans will think of Residencia en la tierra. Or maybe we should all be gatos madrilenyos!

#57596 - 08/26/00 08:42 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

It just came to me (in a dream!). How 'bout
"Miembro de Oro" &
"Miembro de Plata" ??

Although many visitors to the message board don't speak Spanish so this would be lost.

What a shame. I REALLY liked the "Spanophile" designation for the "Member". If only we could find something appropriate for the "Junior Member". One-word names would be best, don't you think?

#57597 - 08/26/00 10:46 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

nah, the Miembro de Oro etc is too long and will get lost on the non-spanophiles! I like Member and Senior Member (we all get promoted!) or Visitor and Resident.

#57598 - 08/26/00 11:17 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I agree, the above are too long. How about:
Spanophile & Visitor then? I'd prefer to have the "Junior Member" be renamed something Spain-related if possible though.

#57599 - 08/26/00 11:54 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

I'm not liking the neologism of Spanophile anyway. Iberophile, and I am sure you don't like that. (or Hispanophile, which you would like less). running out of ideas...

#57600 - 08/26/00 03:01 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I like Spanophile 'thou do know that Iberophile is more correct - As for Hispanophile....MM is right - the designation Member/Junior Member and resident/guest just don't get the feeling across. We all share a tremendous love for Spain ... someone come up with something for the junior" desingnation

#57601 - 08/27/00 03:33 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I must add that I was a bit put off by the redesignations. I'm not sure why. It's your website, afterall, MM. I know I love Spain and I don't necessarily need the title of Spanophile to confirm my beliefs on that one. Anyway, just kidding! Whatever you want to do, MM. Hmmm, how about..algo como..consejeros o delegados o embajadores o for thos non Spanish speakers we could just use terms like Ambassadors and something, I don't know. Something international goodwill-like, you know? Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?

#57602 - 08/27/00 10:00 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Let's just go with MEMBER and SENIOR MEMBER!! than no one is a whopper junior and we all belong. I object to Spanophile on linguistic grounds, as you know. Maybe we should just have starts. One star for newbies, 2 stars after 10 posts, three stars etc until you get to be a real estrella!

#57603 - 08/27/00 12:17 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

So we can't come up with anything Spain-related??? Come on! (man, I really liked "Spanophile")

How about RESIDENT MEMBER & TOURING MEMBER ??
(I know. I know. They're NOT Spain-related, darnit, AND 2-words long)

#57604 - 08/27/00 02:06 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

There should be three categories. Wanna be (in Spain). Has been (in Spain). Hung out (at Brillante bar). Only the hung outs are serious members!! jajaja, es una broma. Dejalo como esta, MM, y no te preocupes.

#57605 - 08/27/00 04:35 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Jen Offline

I'm w/ rgf

#57606 - 08/27/00 06:25 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hehehe.. Good one. Instead, how 'bout

ON THE TERRAZA and the other being CAMINANDO POR LA CALLE (yo te dí)?

#57607 - 08/27/00 08:09 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

MM, in Spain it has to be ANDANDO por la calle! jejejej.

#57608 - 08/28/00 01:08 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Is there a location that we can go to so that we may check our status? I know that there is a 30 post rule, but just wondering where I stood. How about forks? You know like great restaurants?? One fork for 1-5 posts etc...
Just an idea. Didn't want to be a junior forever!

#57609 - 08/28/00 06:53 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Rubia66, yes, if you click on the little face with a question mark to its right - to the right of your time/date posted (or next to ANYONE'S posting) you'll see how many messages were posted as well as the profile of that person. It seems you have 36 messages posted so you're no longer a Junior Member anyway! You're now a.... umm...

rgf, REALLY? I'm not so sure about that...but you could be right. I swear my madrileña ladyfriend uses "caminando" as well. Above, I was referring to that Gipsy Kings song "Caminando Por La Calle". Anyone know it? It can be found on the Cantos de Amor CD.

Saludos, MadridMan

#57610 - 08/28/00 09:11 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Ok ok - 'nough of this. I, for one, DON'T want to be a fork, a Michelin star, a tourist (that was the worst)or a senior member(if I ever get to 30 emails - thanks MM for telling us how to find this)- I would rather live with the label of "junior whopper" than senior member. Something about "senior" just doesn't seem to apply to the mind sets of current members - junior or senior. And, before cries of age discrimination start - I am NOT referring to the cronoligcal age of any member.

MM - you hold the title of boss, moderator, head honcho, creator and organizer - and you opened a can of worms here. But, it's still your site - you can elect to call us just about anything .... but please, please, please, not a fork or a tourist!!!

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 08-28-2000).]

#57611 - 08/28/00 10:21 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Puna! What? You don't want to be a FORK? Well, how 'bout a HANGING HAM or a good bottle of Vino de la Mesa?? hehehe...

I think you're right. I DID open a can of worms. And without that fork I can't enjoy them the way I'd hoped. I'm inclined to just leave things as they are. But, if you all have other suggestions, maybe we'll hit on something everyone will like.

#57612 - 08/28/00 11:38 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Honestely, I don't like Spanophile, it sounds like a "taco" o "palabrota"

#57613 - 08/28/00 11:45 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Jen Offline

MM, I definitely caught that GK reference, and I even started humming the song in my head! BTW, en vez de "yo te dí", isn't it, "yo te ví"? Anyway, good tune, and it makes me think of when I studied in Sevilla. Also, although andando is primarily used, they also use caminando too. Maybe it is used more in reference to hiking, like caminando por el campo, o algo así.Re: the designations, like you said, what about pata negra y serrano?

#57614 - 08/28/00 11:56 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Jen, regarding the GK reference, I'm listening now.. I always thought it was "Caminando por la calle yo te dí", but you're right, it sounds more like "Caminando por la calle yo te ví" -- which makes A LOT more sense.. (I'm showing my lack of proficiency in Spanish). Maybe the GK remade this song...that it was a latin-american song originally??.. For this reason they use "Caminando" and not "Andando" like rgf said?? Anyway, it's one of my favorite songs on that "Cantos de Amor" CD --- GREAT CD!!

Saludos, MadridMan

#57615 - 08/28/00 12:04 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Jen Offline

It's also on Mosaique, which is one that I have. -also a good cd! Music is a great way to learn/improve language skills, don't you think!? Have a good one...

#57616 - 08/28/00 03:00 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Caminando is Latin American usage. Probably canarias, too. and maybe andalucian for all I know! anyway, i heard the GK song in my head, too. Yo te di would be funny. = I smacked ya!

Fork???? I don't wanna be a fork or a ham hock. how about reporter and editor. JUST KIDDING. let's let MM get back to work. jejejej.

PS, my students loved that the course was on line!

#57617 - 08/29/00 12:38 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Sorry about the fork reference, no harm was intended.

#57618 - 08/29/00 06:53 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Another usage controversy: Caminando is all right (and correct) but in cities I think paseando por las calles is more appropriate.
I use caminando where I would use 'hiking' or 'trekking' in English: If you are doing the Camino de Santiago, you are caminando (whether en bici o de pie). In April I hiked from Potes to the Santo Toribio Monastery in Cantabria (unos 2 o 3 kilometros: Caminando; como no?). All one must do is to get there to earn the Jubileo.

#57619 - 08/29/00 06:23 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Eddie is right. "Caminando" is all right and correct. It isn't Latin American usage because we also use it here in Spain.

As for "paseando" there is a sligh difference. "Paseando" implies you are "caminando" but mainly for pleasure. That is, you are watching the windows shops, enjoying the sun... When you go to work everyday you don't go paseando. You go "caminando" or "andando". Both are correct.

And about the "Camino de Santiago" if you do it on a bycicle then you are not "caminando". You are doing it "en bici".

Saludos,

Antonio

#57620 - 09/01/00 03:49 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
heidoaqui mucho

y

heidoaqui poco

#57621 - 09/01/00 04:30 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

MM's En la terreza reminds me that there are three prices for drinks/food at bars: bar, mesa, terraza. So, we could be bar members, mesa members, and finally graduate to the terraza!! just having fun, MM.

#57622 - 09/02/00 11:59 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Ok! Ok! I got one! I got one! How about this?
Members and miembros

#57623 - 09/04/00 01:25 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
esq Offline

Loc: miami,fl
BACHELOR, MASTER and PHD for MM!!!!

[This message has been edited by esq (edited 09-04-2000).]

#57624 - 09/04/00 01:51 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
petunia Offline

Loc: coral gables, fl. USA
back to the future?
soldado oficial y GENERALISIMO for our Maximum Leader MadridMan!!!!!

#57625 - 09/05/00 08:16 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
38 posts on this one! - you should make a decision MM or it'll take over your site!

I like RGF's latest suggestion - only trouble is I often prefer to sit at the bar!

Here's one for the aficionados de la corrida.

novillero/a (novice)
diestro/a (skilled)
El Presidente (guess who!)

#57626 - 09/05/00 08:21 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

I think it is funny (in both senses of the word) how all you (mostly young) people have conjured up images of toros and generalisimos for the member designation. Hey, what not "matamoros" and "gran inquisidor" and "rey catolico" for MM!!?!?!

#57627 - 09/05/00 06:48 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

How about Caudillo for MM?

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 09-05-2000).]

#57628 - 09/06/00 12:09 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

How 'bout "Patron", "El Padre de los Madrileños", "San MadridMan", or ...oh what the heck, just call me God! hehehee.. "MadridMan" (or "MM") is just fine with me. I'm happy/proud to be the humble servant bringing you a little 'joy of Spain' to your everyday lives.

As for the RE-naming, I'm thinking we'll just leave it as it is until I come up with something just perfect. I'll run it by you all before it goes "to press". Sorry to all who don't like "Junior", but what can I say? POST MORE MESSAGES/REPLIES and elevate yourselves!! Thanks to EVERYONE for your participation in this thread and MadridMan's Message Board! It wouldn't have been possible, obviously, without YOU!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 09-06-2000).]

#57629 - 09/06/00 03:45 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I don't care what I get called as long as I'm not removed for being inactive and not posting very often! I'm here everyday reading everyone elses messages and enjoying every second of it and like to feel part of it all even if I don't post very often.

Now, wasn't that a boring post compared to everyone elses? That's why I don't do it very often!!!

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

#57630 - 09/08/00 07:29 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
well, well. if our fearless leader is to be the gran inquisidor, i take then that then junior members have to suffer through an auto-de-fe prior to becoming conversos.

#57631 - 09/08/00 10:34 AM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

ARGH!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE??!! Hehehhee.. Don't worry, Jo-Anne. You won't be removed for inactivity. And nicholeye, you only have 5 more messages/postings/replies to write before you're a full hanging-ham. Hahahaha!!! Just kidding. And nicholeye, don't post 5 reples to this saying only "That was a good post" or "I totally agree with you" either. heheheehe..

Have a GREAT weekend, EVERYONE!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

#57632 - 09/27/00 05:02 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Am I too late to be heard on this monumental issue?

"principiante" (beginner)
"veterano" (veteran)

#57633 - 09/27/00 06:21 PM Re: What to RE-name the "Member" designations?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
meon = administrator

pasante = member

charlante = junior member

???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments