Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5721 - 05/15/03 12:35 PM are you allowed sleeping bags in hostels?
sneak Offline

i posted a similar topic in another section, but i need an answer pretty quick. i'm packing all of my stuff up, and i need to know if i should bring a sleeping bag and thermarest for my travels in spain or not. if i should bring them, then i'll have less space for other stuff, and i still have to get my sleeping bag dry cleaned if that's the case. i'm running out of time!!!

do hostels/pensiones...etc.. allow travellers to bring sleeping bags in?? i will be taking a sheet made into the shape of a sleeping bag as well, but i hate being cold (and always am). i dont' plan on camping, but who knows what might happen??

and what about the thermarest??

thanks a million!!!

#5722 - 05/15/03 05:28 PM Re: are you allowed sleeping bags in hostels?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Sneak

First of all, you have to be aware of the difference between a youth hostel (albergue juvenil) and a hostel (hostal) in Spain.

If you plant to stay at a hostel (hostal), you won't need them as we provide sheets and blankets. Also in hostels you'll enjoy a private room and, most of the times, your own bathroom.

#5723 - 05/16/03 01:06 AM Re: are you allowed sleeping bags in hostels?
sneak Offline

thanks for you help, i'll try to clarify things.

when i wrote hostel- i meant youth hostel-albergue juvenil....the cheapest way to stay in spain. (well-sort of).

the reason i posted this was because of the mixed messages i got from other sites, and this one. i've heard, as i mentioned, that some albergues do not allow sleeping bags.... but i'm not sure if that is a rumor or truth, for it isn't posted on any rule page of any hostel association i've seen.

i like to have more than a thin sheet on me when i sleep, so that is why i was thinking of bringing a sleeping bag-and in case i decide to travel north and stay somewhere somewhat cool.

so then, is it a general ruel in albergues to not allow sleeping bags?(i dont' want to pay any sort of fee -i've read that at times there is one) to rent sheets or extra sheets. but i also dont' want o be carrying around any excess luggage either.

#5724 - 05/16/03 09:21 AM Re: are you allowed sleeping bags in hostels?
Espe3 Offline

I don't know what a thermarest is, but sleeping bags as a general rule are ok. It depends on the albergue- if they want to charge you, leave it rolled- they'll only charge you if you use it to sleep in. The sleep sheets (maybe the termarest you're talking about) are always ok- Happy travels!

#5725 - 05/16/03 11:03 AM Re: are you allowed sleeping bags in hostels?
sneak Offline

sorry, i thought everyone here who backpacks woudld know what a thermarest is. it is a type of mattress or foamy which decompresses a lot and blows up semi-by-itself. they are light and quite portable for hiking, but i'm not sure if i'll need it since i'll be hostelling. i'll be hiking, but on no overnight trips (at least i don't think so).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments