Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#56424 - 12/18/05 09:50 AM Re: Something does not fit??????
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Dear Sr. Gannon,
Thank you for an excellent and enlightening assesment of the housing market in Spain, and in general. Not too long ago, there were two similar threads by Barry and Jbach, which were also excellent.

You mention our need for excess space in the U.S.
Quote:
Just after the Second World War the average American family of four lived in a house of approximately 850 sqft. growing to 950 sqft. in 1960, 1,100 sqft. in 1970 and now a whopping 2,500 sqft. So it would seem that along with the size of most Americans and spending-power their expectations for minimal living space has ballooned.
That is certainly very true. There are a couple of reasons for this. One reason for the excess space is that a home also becomes an entertainment center. Unless one lives in a very big city, like Boston, Philadelphia, New York, or even Miami, where there is entertainment and outside activities galore, our home becomes a cultural nest of sorts. So we add all the accouterments that would make it a nice place to be, in between trips to Spain, that is. laugh

The second reason is zoning laws that prohibit easy living.

I posit that this may be why in such large U.S. cities, people are more than satisfied with smaller places, because there is so much to do outside one's home, that it is not necessary to have so much space.

When I visited a friend in Santiago de Compostela, she, her husband, her child and her mother, lived in a 2 bedroom apartment. I would say less than 1000 sq. feet. But, they had a lovely park and church, well within a couple of blocks. They had a gym, cafe, and bakery in the bottom floor of her building. A bar not three doors down.

This is fairly typical in Spain, and that I believe is one of the reasons why living in even small Spanish cities is such a delight.

#56425 - 12/19/05 11:33 AM Re: Something does not fit??????
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
You know Carlos,that's exactly what I'm about to do.These MORONS have transformed what it used to be a SPAIN MESSAGE BOARD into a NON-SPAIN MESSAGE BOARD,so what's the use in sticking around?
Being one of those MORONS, I thank you for the complement. I would say it in Spanish but that is not so good!

Bill

#56426 - 12/19/05 08:42 PM Re: Something does not fit??????
OhMyStaz Offline

Loc: NL
when i was young and ambitious (i'm not old - i'm 33, i'm just not ambitious - this was 12 years ago, or so) ... i was addicted to travel shows and This Old House. (see? it's sacred - i capitalized it. <s>) i thought about buying and renovating castles in europe. that was when i thought the words "castle" and "mansion" were synonymous. (maybe everyone doesn't have this - i was one of those "disadvantaged youth" <s>)

i heard, somewhere ... something that made me change my mind about castles. i was looking for some clever links, but then i just remembered this:

"castle" is kinda more synonymous with "fortress" ...

think "bomb shelter" ... eek

cold and drafty, not made for comfort.

but i've entertained that fantasy ... maybe i'll save it for retirement.

i think this is a really interesting thread about buying property in spain. <nods>

#56427 - 12/20/05 01:33 AM Re: Something does not fit??????
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Sr. Gannon: Thank you for your detailed look at the cost of housing in Spain. You shed some new light on the subject and provided food for thought.

Booklady: You are right about the zoning laws and code people sticking their nose into ones life. There are only two main building code in the US and the main difference is how they deal with non fired earth brick. Then there is the local amendments. For the most part most jurisdictions use the NEC for the electrical code. Some rural area are very lax, to the point of being no existant. Mohave County Arizona is VERY lax.

OhMyStaz: This Old House has been a favorite for twenty years. I have never seen them rehab a European Castle. They have rehabbed a couple of London houses.

This I will say to anyone that is anticipating rehabbing an old house to live in. DON'T. The cost vs the benefit is not there. When it is all said and done, new is a much more cost effective way to go. In rehab, one either has to move out and take the cost of a second house on, or put up with the mess while the job is going on. Do you really want to work all day then come home and work another 5 or 6 hours on the house. When Tom Sylva's own house had a fire, without batting an eye he knocked it down and started from scratch with new. In watching This Old House for twenty years I have seen their clients rehab some houses that should have been knocked to the ground. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of money to be made in either, buying the house for rehab and resale, or contracting to do the work for other people. Remodel and rehab contracting is the most thankless line of the construction industry. Nothing you do is right, and the customer is infinitly more knowledgeable of your line of work than you are, even though he does not know one end of the hammer from the other. All I am saying is simply this,when it is your own house start from the ground up with new construction, unless you are one of those people who has to have a lot of pain in their life. If you do want to get into rehab, then buy the old shack rehab it then sell at a profit.

#56428 - 12/20/05 03:25 AM Re: Something does not fit??????
OhMyStaz Offline

Loc: NL
sorry ... those were two different references. the more i think about it, the more i think the truth about castles may have come from rick steves of europe through the backdoor. smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments