MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56387 - 12/07/05 07:50 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I'm glad to hear that smoking may be limited or banned soon in Spanish bars. But I hope they never change the rules about children in bars with their parents. This is one of the most wonderful things about Spain--you can bring your children wherever you like. Our kids have been bar-hopping with us countless numbers of times through Spain and other European countries. No, we're not getting drunk, just enjoying the local culture and our family at the same time. We've been out til all hours of the night with our kids, and usually we see many other families together in the wee hours of the morning. I think it's healthy, rather than the usual American custom of leaving kids home with the babysitter. When we took teenagers on a tour with our school, we kept them up every night, hanging out in the plazas eating, listening to tuna bands very late into the night. We even took them bar-hopping with the Spanish teenagers of our friends. Of course we didn't let them drink, but they sure did appreciate the food and the atmosphere. I've never understood why adults and children are often so separate in America. It certainly doesn't seem to help the kids behave better. So, take your baby tapas hopping. You'll love it.

#56388 - 12/07/05 09:52 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
As those who are regulers on this board know, Aidance and I do not agree on very much. However, on this point I have to agree, take the kids along, they will probably enjoy it more than you will.

#56389 - 12/08/05 04:51 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Thank you Aidance, very well-said. Americans have a strong puritan streak, which I gladly leave behind when traveling in Spain. Starting when our daughter was 3, we have spent many summer vacations at Spanish beaches with friends who also have young kids. They slept from midnight to 10am. No big deal. All the kids were out and about until midnight. I love Spanish summer nights and, yes, they are very family-friendly!

As for smoking, I don't like it, but try not to be a nazi about it. If the kids are exposed to it only once in a while, I'm not worried. (They can't be as miserable as I was with my dad during car trips when I was a kid. frown )

#56390 - 12/10/05 01:12 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Hey guys...are we talking about restaurants that serve alcohol or are these just bars where people go drinking, smoking, getting drunk and acting like A-holes that allow kids to enter? Cuz if it's the latter, then Im definately not cool with that! Kids don't belong in that kind of atmosphere and it would be irresponsible of any parent to take a kid along to such an establishment. Bars are for grownups! Who wants a bunch of little yard apes running around in between bar stools, crying and whining when they're going home. Hey...here's something fun your kids can do at a bar...they can sit on the floor and play with the sawdust and make castles! :p

#56391 - 12/10/05 02:17 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Oso Major, I don't know how much time you've spent in Spanish tapas bars, but I've never seen people falling down or acting like A-holes in bars in Spain. This seems to be much more prevalent in the U.S. My impression is that in the U.S., alchohol, including wine and beer, is considered "sinful" by many, and not simply a part of life (which I've always found odd, since Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine after the wine ran out at a wedding!). In Spain, and certainly France and Italy, wine is a beverage consumed with meals, available to all including teenagers and even younger children if they are with their parents. Hence, young people see responsible drinking on a regular basis, rather than people falling down drunk. Perhaps the "forbidden fruit" aspect of alchohol beverages in the U.S. adds to the appeal of getting drunk. Our alcholism rates are much higher than in Spain, but, sadly, I'm hearing that that is changing in Spain.
Once when we were in a small town in Galicia, we happened upon a huge party of hundreds of young people in the streets, spraying each other with rum and coke concoctions, each mixture in a plastic container. We noticed emtpy rum bottles neatly lined up along the sides of the streets, with not a single broken bottle anywhere, no one obviously drunk, no vomit smells. When we, as a family of four, tried to get past a group of them, they very politely stopped spraying each other, smiled at us and waved us by. They did the same for anyone who was not a part of their party. This kind of thing would have turned into a disaster in the U.S., with many arrests, no doubt.
Probably there are exceptions, but generally speaking, it's quite civiized to take your children into bars in Spain. As for "little yard apes running around crying and whining"--that's more of an American problem.

#56392 - 12/10/05 04:11 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Although I've been to Europe, I've never been to Spain. Being half Spanish myself it's rather sad on my part. My concerns are valid, regardless of how civilized a tavern may be. There are places where children would be less comfortable. When my wife and I go to a bar or lounge, we don't want to see kids there, not because it's wrong but because that's an adult place. If you want to spend time with family and kids then go to Disneyland. If you want to spend time with adults, smoke, cuss, whatever, you go to a bar without the concerns of having kids hanging around. I know that in Europe families are exposed to wine and beer at a very early age. My children were drinking wine at a very tender age with our meals and I live here in California, the capitol of Political Correctness as yourself! Im not a prude nor believe that alcohol is evil. Bars in Europe may be different than here in the US, but please, don't imply that people don't get drunk there!

#56393 - 12/10/05 06:13 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Gosh....have to agree with Aidance on this one. I have been to Spain a dozen times and I can honestly say that I have never seen any of my Spanish friends drunk in a bar. As my one friend always says....he never drinks more than dos dedos de vino tinto. (That is when you wrap your hand around the glass and the wine doesn't go past more than two fingers worth) I am the one who has to adjust to this concept. Slow down and enjoy the enticing tapas and stimulating conversation. We always go with the kids and it is nice spending time with the entire family...walking around...chatting now and then with people we know in the streets....and stopping off for another DELICIOUS tidbit. This can go on for hours, with my friends only consuming one alcoholic drink the entire night. It is very unique and A MUST to experience in one's lifetime. Hmmmm now I miss Spain again smile

#56394 - 12/10/05 06:25 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
I agree with Aidance on this one,and OsoMajor if you haven't been to Spain,don't knock it!

#56395 - 12/10/05 07:37 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

First of all, Im not trying to "knock Spain". It's been a dream destination of mine to someday visit the land of my maternal grandparents. Secondly, did anyone read the first sentence of my first post?

My quote:"Hey guys...are we talking about restaurants that serve alcohol or are these just bars where people go drinking, smoking, getting drunk and acting like A-holes that allow kids to enter?"

I was asking whether these were restaurants that serve alcohol or just bars...

It was an inquiry, because bars here in the US are an entirely different enviroment and definately not a place for kids. It is quite obvious that what you've described is not what we would call a traditional bar. We have tapas bars here in California but they are what we call in the States a "restaurant"! rolleyes And yes we have some very elegant and sophistcated cocktail lounges too and kids still arn't welcomed...and that's OK by me! wink

#56396 - 12/10/05 08:01 PM Re: Baby in Tapas bars
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I guess the difference here, is that there is no such thing as a bar in Spain that doesn't serve food. The point is not to get drunk and act like an A..... My God...even just a cana....or una clara with a plate of aceitunas is heaven. The only place I wouldn't take children is a discoteca of course or some "theme bar" for adults only. OsoMayor....you must go to Spain. The sun shines more than you can imagine and these tapa crawls are something for everyone.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments