Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#55691 - 03/09/05 10:04 PM Madriz
Anonymous
Unregistered

I get a kick of how many madrilenos pronounce the name of their city.I just love the sound of the z in castellano. Madriz, the z sounds like "th" in English. Can you say Keith, Beth, Roth.I wonder how this all started and why it stuck.

#55692 - 03/09/05 10:08 PM Re: Madriz
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'll let the madrileños explain the origin of "Madriz". But I'd say it's pronounced more like Madridth with the second D being pronounced softly. And yes, I like this pronunciation too - makes it special, somehow.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#55693 - 03/10/05 04:30 AM Re: Madriz
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I think it was because king Juan Carlos the something had a lisp, so that's why they say "th". They all had to speak like the king. Please correct me if I'm wrong!!

#55694 - 03/10/05 05:55 AM Re: Madriz
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
That story about the King is a myth. And it doesn't really make sense, given that the "s" sound exists in Castilian Spanish...

In my experience, Madrid is pronounced:

Madrith--th as in "thing"
Madrith--th as in "that"
Madrit

depending on the speaker's dialect. I'd say the second is the most common, at least in my neighborhood and circle.

#55695 - 03/10/05 05:58 AM Re: Madriz
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Ah, I did always wonder about that!! ;~)

#55696 - 03/10/05 07:28 AM Re: Madriz
Amleth Offline

Hi!

The way some people say Madrid is influenced by their idiolects. I mean, if you're originally from the south or live around people from these places; you'll notice it; however, if you're from other provinces - for instance, me - you'll hear "d" or even "t". I do say MadriD.

smile

#55697 - 03/10/05 02:21 PM Re: Madriz
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm from Madrid and I pronounce it with the d smile

The thing is that not many words in spanish end with a "d", so we are not used to pronounce that sound. When people is lazy pronouncing the name, or in low-cultured areas, the "d" transforms into a "z" or even dissapears.

But you don't have to be low-cultured to pronounce it that way, it depends on your way of speaking. In any case the sound is very soft hehehe.

And why the name ends with a "d"? Because it comes from the arab name Majerit. Did you know that? wink

Majerit was a small andalusian (spanish-arab) village (we even have an arab wall). It was only after the capitality changed from Toledo to Madrid that the place got important. Then inmigration started, and the higher boom in population was in the XIXth century (when Madrid reached 1 million inhabitants). Now it's a big city... but keeps intact the magic we all love smile

Fernando

#55698 - 03/11/05 07:59 PM Re: Madriz
Anonymous
Unregistered

And I've heard the same pronunciation in other words that end in d like mitad,voluntad.usted,etc. Anyways,thanks to all for your kind responses. Viva Madrid, Madriz,Madridth,Madrith,Madrit and Majerit! laugh

#55699 - 03/12/05 04:22 AM Re: Madriz
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

I think part of the confusion comes from the fact there are some basic phonetical differences in how the letter "d" is pronounced in both English and Spanish.

In English, the "d" is pronounced by placing the tongue on the palate of the mouth, just behind the teeth. It's almost, though not exactly like the Spanish "r" in words like "caro". That's in part why we English speakers can have such a tough time with saying the Spanish "r" because we are putting our tongues somewhere else! I still can't get it right. It's a sound that is a little like the way Americans say "t" in words like "water" and "letter". I sometimes do this test with my students and write the imaginary word "lerer" on the board. They say "letter" as if they were from Michigan. It's interesting.

The Spanish "d" is interdental, meaning the tongue actually comes between the teeth a little, almost the way the English "th" is pronounced in words like "the" or "though" but maybe a little softer. So when Fernando says he pronounces "Madrid" with a "d", he's telling the truth, but it's not the same "d" as an English "d". That's why we sometimes hear that "th" sound when people say Madrid. You do hear the more exaggerated Spanish lispy "z" at the end, but it's not really the way it should be said.

In any event, a soft-sounding "d" at the end of any word is common in many languages, even English. We don't pronounce the "d" in "day" the way we do in "hard". In the latter, you say it, but it's softer. For the Spanish it can be even more difficult because they are not used to finishing words with strong consonant sounds. That's why the car make Ford is often more like "For". As in "un For Fiesta".

¡Ay Madrid, "Madrith", "Madrit", "Madrí", "Madriz", me mata!

#55700 - 03/12/05 12:34 PM Re: Madriz
Anonymous
Unregistered

Si,Murdy. A mi "Madri" me mata tambien. Me mata de tanta "marcha". laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments