MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#55663 - 03/16/05 04:41 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Kleenex is a brand name for a brand of tissues.

#55664 - 03/16/05 05:41 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
JasMadrid Offline

You got it worried... But if I were you while in Spain don't ask for Pan Bimbo, and eat good bread for once!

#55665 - 03/16/05 06:19 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
JasMadrid writes:
Quote:
... not having ever heard about "pan bimbo" is almost impossible.
Maybe it's because I never eat American or British style Pan de Moldé when in Spain.

I don't think this has anything whatsoever to do with my fluency in Castellano.

One of the things I most look forward to when I visit Spain is the Pan.

#55666 - 03/16/05 02:30 PM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
Ann in KC Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Hey Eddie -- I love the pan in Spain too -- Can't wait to gobble some up and soak up the remains of my champinones a la plancha with my pan when I get to Madrid in May.

I do think it is a little bit funny that you gave JasMadrid a little lesson about bread in Spain when he or she appears to be FROM Spain, or at least is a civil engineer LIVING in Spain. :-)

Any trip to a grocery store -- one of my favorite things to do in any foreign country as it gives you a better feel for how the "locals" live -- would reveal a shelf for Bimbo bread (which is exactly what we called in when I was a student there many moons ago.) If you avoid grocery stores, I daresay that any "sandwich" -- as opposed to bocadillo -- you might order while grabbing a quick bite in a neighborhood joint is made with -- you guessed it -- Pan Bimbo.

I'll have a few bites of "real" bread in your honor in Madrid ;-).

#55667 - 03/16/05 03:46 PM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
JasMadrid Offline

Yeah Ann, I'm not only a civil engineer living in Spain, but a 100% spaniard, that's why I also thought it was funny that Eddie gave me a lesson I think I know pretty well. That was the reason for my somewhat bitter response, so I must apologize to Eddie.

#55668 - 03/16/05 05:00 PM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
About Pan Bimbo: as there are big chain supermarkets with their own white brands, at home we never say Pan Bimbo. We buy Mercadona “pan de molde”. It’s cheaper that the Bimbo one !!.

We use both, Kleenex and “pañuelos de papel”.

#55669 - 03/16/05 07:31 PM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
worriedaboutspain Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
it's nice to see we all get along so nicely, :-) lol....but awsome, yes, I love carbs, *i guess that's why the whole dieting thing doesn't work...lol* so I'm def. going to try the pan when I get to spain! I just heard from the cordinator who's running the whole program, and it's a total go. I'll be hearing something soon...I"M SO EXCITED! As much as you guys talk about Pan bimbo, I am going to have to try it though, is it like wonder bread here in the states?

Oh, another question for you who are not from The US, my Spanish Teacher *who's from Chile* says sometimes other people are offended when People from the US say they are "Norte Americanos" because there's other countries in North America besides the US...is this true in Europe? Are people offended?

#55670 - 03/17/05 05:49 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
JasMadrid Offline

I don't think people in Europe would be offended by that, but most of you in the US call yourselves "americans" as if those in Chile and Argentina weren't americans also. However, even in spanish when you hear "americanos" most of the times we are talking about people from the US, a mistake we shouldn't make but we do all the time.

#55671 - 03/17/05 08:47 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
The problem is there's really no accurate way of referring to our nationality...

There are other "North Americans", other "Americans", and even other "United Statesians" (Mexico is the "United States of Mexico"). I just say "soy americana" and no one seems to mind, because it's obvious where I'm from (unfortunately--still can't trill an "r" to save my life).

#55672 - 03/17/05 09:12 AM Re: Do's and Don'ts of Spain
jabch Offline

In Mexico Americans were mostly known as "Estadounidenses," however, now more people is using the term "Americanos."

I was surprised to hear from a kid that here in the U.S., they are taught that the American continent is the U.S.A., and that the rest of countries are in north, central or south America. Then I asked: So how do you call the whole continent? He didn't know. I hope this was an isolated case. Probably this is true or he was just confused witht the term "continental U.S.A."

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments