Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#55613 - 02/16/05 05:57 PM pre-birth baby gift customs?
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
What are the customs for buying an expecting mother a gift prior to the child's birth? I know that the family has been purchasing outfits in white not knowing the sex of the child (due in May). THis is a very dear friend and a family that I adore. Please help me not to insult!

Debbie

#55614 - 02/19/05 12:19 PM Re: pre-birth baby gift customs?
jghaddock Offline

Loc: United States
I am also interested in this topic. I am hosting a baby shower for someone in the states with a Spain theme. Does anyone know of traditions in Spain regarding baby showers or the like? Thanks!

#55615 - 02/19/05 02:48 PM Re: pre-birth baby gift customs?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm not an expert in this topic (someone correct me please if I'm wrong) but I would say that here is not normal for friends to give gifts before birth (yes for the family, not for the friends).

It is more normal to give a present after the birth. The gift depends on your relationship with them and what you want to expend.

Fernando

#55616 - 03/02/05 06:51 PM Re: pre-birth baby gift customs?
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
Well, I made the decision to buy a gift for a close friend in hopes of not insulting since the reply appeared after I departed for Spain. She was so very appreciative and it was a learning experience for me too being that I am also expecting. ACcording to her and the family (from Granada), there is no shower type event for the expecting mom. The family members help out by purchasing items. She is due the end of May and has so much purchased already. All by family members! Ugh!.. I still am in shock after looking at prices for the needed items such as cradles, cribs, car seats etc. SUPER EXPENSIVE compared to the states. Even maternity clothing is ridiculous. COME ON!!!! 90 euros for jean overalls. Hope this helps and thanks for the input!
Debbie

#55617 - 03/03/05 01:12 PM Re: pre-birth baby gift customs?
jabch Offline

Oh! Si, Spanish baby clothes are super expensive. My mother bought a winter hat for my baby son for about $60 Euros!!! eek You can find the same in the U.S. for 5 bucks!!...Well it is no the same, they have some very neat stuff...but it is expensive anyway....

By the way, a baby shower, even though becoming popular in many countries, is like talking about halloween, yes other countries do it, but it is mostly American.

#55618 - 03/04/05 05:34 AM Re: pre-birth baby gift customs?
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
"Baby shower" is something I had never even heard about, so you can realize how uncommon is here. It is very common, though, to make presents to the mother and child on your first visit, but always after birth.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments