MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#55086 - 09/25/04 06:53 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
As for Quintos, I think he means by "dirty blonde" a darker blonde colour (language imperfections, eh Quintos?)...
No it emplies brown and blonde mixed together many people use that word when refering to that type of hair.

Quote:
Fair blondes in spain, let's say straw-like colour are very very very unusual, and when you see one spanish, it's thanks to chemical products 99% of the times.
Quote:
I have been about 10 days in Poland and about 15 to 20 people ask me an adress while I was there, guess what, they all thought I was polish, haha.

Here, in Czeck Republic, have only been asked twice in Czeck, but I have only been here for 4 days now,
Didn't you just say that blonde people are very very very rare in Spain but then you say that you resemble people from Poland and Cezh republic when you go their. Those are (Nordic) countries I could easily pass for any European nationality but probably on the "darker" side of the specturm.

#55087 - 09/26/04 05:31 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
When I first went to Spain as a student, I travelled with two blonde haired English girls and they didn't report any major disadvantage or have any extra hassles because of their hair colour. OK, perhaps they got more interest from Spanish men and certainly plenty of compliments but for them it wasn't an issue and one girl in particular was certainly well able to offer a few choice insults in Spanish if anyone got too heavy. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to dye their blond hair brown or black just because they were visiting Spain:)

#55088 - 09/26/04 07:18 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
SimonC Offline

Loc: Madrid - Spain
Hey... I am living in Madrid as we speak and there are not that many blondes here. I personally think you should keep your hair blonde.. it's actually quite refreshing to see it here.

Sim

#55089 - 09/26/04 09:46 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Ignacio (in pertinent part) writes:
Quote:
... along with the 4.000.000 spaniards living in Madrid, there are about 1.000.000 latino ans morocchian inmigrnats, and most of these ARE impressed by blondes.
I can attest to that! Years ago, I was visiting Spain with my wife and (then) 13-year-old blonde daughter. Moroccan Arabs stared at our daughter shamelessly to the point that I felt like doing violence to them.

Quote:
... Fair blondes in spain, let's say straw-like colour are very very very unusual, and when you see one spanish, it's thanks to chemical products 99% of the times. ...
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish. But, in the Plaza de Oriente, across from the Palacio Réal you will find statues of Visigoth Kings of Spain, several of whom were blondes.

When I am sitting at a Terraza it pleases me very much to see a good looking Svenska flicka stroll by. This is something I share with many Spanish businessmen. As a matter of fact, staying the way you are might help you in Business there in Madrid.

Rubia: Por favor, no te cambias de color tu pelo; necesitamos más como tu!

#55090 - 09/26/04 01:41 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Didn't you just say that blonde people are very very very rare in Spain but then you say that you resemble people from Poland and Cezh republic when you go their. Those are (Nordic) countries I could easily pass for any European nationality but probably on the "darker" side of the specturm.
In spite of what many people thinks, both in the south of Poland (I finally didn't make it to Gdansk) and Prague, most people have darker hair. The percentage of blondes or very blondes is significatively higher than the spanish, but still small, maybe 20/30/40 %, as far as I saw.

Also, although maybe the majority have blue eyes, it's very frequent brown colour.

Skin is usually very white.

That made me a pretty common polish-looking man. The same in Prague.

By the way, I wouldn't call Poland a Nordic country. No more than Germany or Holland. As far as I know, Nordic are usually called Scandinavians and the same temp area.

When I was to London, somebody who I met and chatted with, in a restaurant called "Chelsea kitchen" (that I recommend) was surprised to know that I am spanish, just because he thought of the said torero image. I asked him where he thought I was from and she said central european, which is what Chekia is, and Southern Poland.

Quote:
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish. But, in the Plaza de Oriente, across from the Palacio Réal you will find statues of Visigoth Kings of Spain, several of whom were blondes
Well, it doesn't exactly work like that. One of my two brothers, just as my father and grandfather has blue eyes, the other used to be blonde (brown eyes).

My (mother side) cousin José Luis is red-haired, full of freckles, thin and tall (a perfect Irishmen, no?), his father, uncle Ricardo, and other uncle, Fabián, both have blue eyes, the first is blonde, the second isn't.

In fact, it´s much more easy to (genetically) keep blue eyes than blonde hair, and there are also blondes with green and exceptionally, clear brown eyes.

Hey, I´d better look carefully my ancestors history because I could have royal blood on both sides of my family... laugh wink

#55091 - 09/26/04 03:34 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Quote:
You can usually tell by their eye-color. If you see blue or green-eyed blondes in Spain, it is unlikely that they are Spanish.
You are wrong.

#55092 - 09/26/04 05:39 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Most of the white people of Spain are concentrated in the North.

#55093 - 09/26/04 07:46 PM Re: Blondes in Madrid
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Viva le diferance! Frankly I prefer chestnut or auburn hair with deep green eyes. My wife however has dark auburn hair with slate blue eyes. I still love you babe! laugh wink

#55094 - 09/27/04 06:32 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Good choice of colour OsoMayor, he, he! cool

#55095 - 09/27/04 06:34 AM Re: Blondes in Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I simply don't get the premises of this thread...
Would someone REALLY consider changing a part of him/herself, appearance-wise or personality-wise, when there's nothing wrong with it, just to accommodate his/her view of how other people perceive him/her? I don't understand....

OK, you might get a few more stares or 'piropos', specially from the Moroccans and Latinamericans (that's so true!*) than a brunette, but I don't think at the end of the day that makes a significant...ANYTHING, in one's life, you're not going to be attacked, harrassed, etc...just for being a 'rubia', so, take it easy and if you're happy with your colouring, girl, by all means don't change it! rolleyes

*Luckily, these tend to be admiring stares and respectful compliments, unlike the ones one sometimes gets from certain Spaniards.... :o

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments