MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54724 - 05/05/04 09:13 AM Debit Card
Yaz Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi,
I will be visiting spain in June. I was wondering if my Canadian Debit Card would work in ATM machines in spain. The back of the card has a "PLUS" symbol which I think is the european debit card standard. Also, if it does work in Europe, what are the transaction fees (given that my account is in Canadian $$)

thanks

#54725 - 05/05/04 10:49 AM Re: Debit Card
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Yes, your card will work. If you're truly worried about it, go see your bank and ask them. But if you have a standard 4-digit pin, you should have no problem. smile

#54726 - 05/05/04 02:26 PM Re: Debit Card
liatris Offline

Loc: Glenoma WA USA
Debit cards are the only way to go!!! BUT after having my card eaten by a bank in Granada, I always carry a back-up card. AND be sure that you know the number to call to stop use on your card if something happens to it.
We had one card mis-hap with one of my students during our last trip. The hotel man was kind enough to open the machine and remove the card. When my card disappeared in the BBV machine in Granada, it was on a Sunday and we were leaving the next morning before the banks opened. So I had my stateside daughter cancel the card immediately, and went with Plan B for the remaining few days of the trip.

#54727 - 05/08/04 02:30 AM Re: Debit Card
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I have a PLUS system card and it worked just fine in Spain. It works well in Canada, too wink Definitely take a back up for reasons mentioned above...

#54728 - 05/08/04 03:15 AM Re: Debit Card
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I have found that most bank's ATM machines will not give you a balance. If you need a balance on your account, use Banco Atlantico: their machines do give a balance (at least with my bank, which is BofA).

#54729 - 05/08/04 12:25 PM Re: Debit Card
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Boink! I've moved this thread from the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" category to this one. smile

ATMs are the way to go. Plus, you'll get one of the best exchange rates. If you use a US-based credit union card there's a good chance you won't have to pay any kind of international-transaction fee too. Check with your bank.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54730 - 05/08/04 02:42 PM Re: Debit Card
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I still maintain my credit union account in the States and from time to time withdraw money from it here in Spain. With my particular credit union, I am not charged any sort of service fee at all.

ATM cards are the best way to go here. They are used everywhere from paying for gas to paying for groceries... Buying metro tickets, etc...if you have a pay as you go mobile phone you can even recharge your account through the ATMs here.

Have a great trip!

#54731 - 05/08/04 05:19 PM Re: Debit Card
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Yeah, debit cards are too darn convenient.

Just remember that because debit cards are a diffent type of transaction, essentially cash, that you *do not* get the same type of protection as you would with a credit card.

Because a credit card purchase is actually property of the bank until you pay the monthly bill, the bank is more interested in helping you dispute false charges. False charges do happen.

Deibt transactions (may differ with some banks) are instantaneous, and the phrase 'Caveat Emptor' holds much truer.

Debit cards are great for getting *cash*, but that's it!

For what it's worth, it's just my experience...

#54732 - 05/19/04 12:15 AM Re: Debit Card
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
Question - maybe a dumn one. Do the ATM machines work for credit card cash advances? I assmed that they did - and it's my back-up if my debit card is lost or stolen.... Am I incorrect confused

Fup

#54733 - 05/30/04 10:42 PM Re: Debit Card
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Remember to let your credit card companies know when you will be leaving the country and using the card, and for how long. This goes for your bank debit card as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments