Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54672 - 04/13/04 05:21 PM Questions about Bull Fighting
swalk74 Offline

Loc: US
I am doing a project on Spain's Bullfighting and would like to know what people originally from Spain or living in Spain think about the following questions.

1. Have you ever been to a bull fight?
2. How old were you when you went to a bull fight?
3. What is your opinion of bull fights?
4. How common are bull fights?
5. Are modern bullfights different in anyway from the historical bull fights?
6. Do you believe a bull fight can be interpreted as being artistic?
7. Do you believe that someone who has not grown up with bull fighting can truly appreciate a bull fight like someone from a culture that embraces bull fighting?
8. How common is it for a bull to be pardoned?
9. I have read of people in Spain wanting to ban bull fights. What are your thoughts on this?
10. How common are bull fight protests?
11. Do you think banning bull fights would influence Spanish culture?
12. Do you believe witnessing a violent movie is as bad as viewing a bull fight?

Please respond!

Thank You,
Al

You can also e-mail me:
kerr_alis@bentley.edu

#54673 - 04/13/04 06:36 PM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Here I go:

Yes, once or twice.

Uhh, 15 years-old more or less.

I simply don't like them, not because I think they are cruel, just don't like them. I think it has most of art, and less of a bloody spectacle.

Quite common in certain seasons of the year (March to August more or less).

I don't know, but they are quite ancient (at least some centuries old).

Yes, without doubt.

7. Do you believe that someone who has not grown up with bull fighting can truly appreciate a bull fight like someone from a culture that embraces bull fighting?
Yes. I have forgein family and they appreciate it even more than my family.

Not very common. A bull (as far as I know) is only pardoned if it demonstrates a superb quality (bravery).

9. I have read of people in Spain wanting to ban bull fights. What are your thoughts on this?
I think that my country has graver problems not to wonder for bullfighting. I don't care if a hundred bulls die in plazas every year. They serve as food and, if not for bullfighting, their race would have extinguished.

Fairly uncommon. The majority of the people don't care about it.

No, it is a very small part of spanish culture. But I wouldn't ban it.

12. Do you believe witnessing a violent movie is as bad as viewing a bull fight?
Why is witnessing a movie or viewing a bull fight bad? Do someone thinks that spectators are going to bull-fight people in the streets? laugh
Sincerly, I don't think either of them are negative or make people more violent. People who truely like bull-fighting don't like to see the bull suffer more than necessary.

Just my thoughts...

Fernando

#54674 - 04/13/04 09:17 PM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Let me try to answer your questions:

Yes...I have been to a few corridas, however, only in Spain.
The first time...20; the last time...way over 20.

I studied the bull fight as a theatrical presentation. Knowing exactly what will happen and when, first of all...helps. But when you view the fight as theatre, it really is impressive. Moreover, it is the bull who decides the caliber of the fight...he is the "anti-hero" of the production. A good bull...a good fight; a bad bull...a miserable production.
Very.
Julius Cesear was the last bull fighter to fight from a horse. Since then...no changes.

Absolutely...if taught and explained properly.

Yes...me.
The last corrida I attended, in Granada two years ago, the bull was pardoned. Was it a good fight? Yes.

I don't have any. I also do not believe that they will ban the fights. This idea has been around for generations...and yet they continue.

Never saw one...never heard of one.

Ever hear of "Prohibition?"

No... a violent movie is considerably worse than a bull fight. To begin with, a bull fight is not supposed to be bloody. If done appropriately, the bull dies almost instantaneously...and, again, there is very little blood.

Bull fights in Mexico, however, are appalling. They seem to believe that the more blood the better. Then, of course, there is Portugal. They have the fight, but just don't kill the animal...they, frankly, torture it.

By the way, did you know that the meat of the dead bull is given to the poor?

Sheryl

#54675 - 04/14/04 03:33 AM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Yes, once. And dozens more from my parent's house balcony.

about 20

For me, they are boring.

Very.

Over the centuries the matador's role has increased its importance over the picador's one. that's a good thing.

6. Do you believe a bull fight can be interpreted
as being artistic?
Mostly.

Probably. I don't know.

Not very common.

"hay gente para todo". I don't consider it an inteligent proposal.

Uncommon. Rare.

Do you think banning the superbowl would influence US culture?

None of them are inherently 'bad'. what is bad? They are cultural events. Both can be good or bad, it depends on how they are done.

#54676 - 04/14/04 05:28 AM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid

No, never.

N/A

It's a part of Spanish culture.

Very common from February to October in most places of Spain (maybe Catalonia, Galicia and the Islands are the exceptions).

Dressings have changed and I think that the rules, too, but I am not an expert.

For sure.

Yes. There have been a few American and Japanese matadores, there are some Japanese flamenco dancers, and there are some Spaniards very involved in Asian cultures. In this global community we live in, people are free to choose whatever cultural aspects satisfies them more.

Uncommon. Only in cases of very high braveness.

I don't like bullfighting but I think that they are integral part of our culture so I'm not for their ban.

Uncommon. Recently, the Barcelona City Council has declared the city against bullfighting, but it's not a common position in Spain.

No doubt.

I think the violent movie can be much worse. After all, a bullfight is a man versus a wild animal. In many violent movies, it's a wild man versus another wild men. People who cannot distinguish between a human life's worth and an animal life's worth, have a big mind trouble.

#54677 - 04/14/04 10:29 AM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
swalk74 Offline

Loc: US
Thank you for your replies. They are very helpful. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on how bull fighting is an art form? and how you feel about bull fighting as an art form?

Thank You,
Al

#54678 - 04/14/04 01:04 PM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
For anyone who does not know how an actual 'corrida' looks and feels, it's difficult to understand the art in it.
A bullfight has a lot of similarities with a theater play or a dancing number. It has a choreography, several 'acts'.
On top of that, the ornaments, the suits are VERY ellaborate and sophisticated, and there is a musical score that marks the beginning and end of each 'act' ('tercio').
I also think that the bullfight is partly an art and partly a sport.

How do I feel? Well, it's spectacular at first, but boring

#54679 - 06/17/04 10:26 PM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Thought you might like to see this--it's from the "week in pictures" from MSNBC's site (I had to go to the source, Getty Images, for one I could save--and the logo takes away from the impact--but still, it's a good shot!) [img]http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/509481...9C30E9B9B114CE8[/img]

[I had always wondered what they wore under the traje de luces!]

#54680 - 06/18/04 07:25 AM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I've only been to one bullfight. It was in Madrid and it was one of the days where the "newer" bullfighters were getting a chance.

I *highly* recommend the discussion of bullfighting in John Hooper's book, The New Spaniards (which is a really interesting book for a lot of other reasons). It really helped me to better understand the culture of bullfighting in Spain and the evolution it's undergone, especially in the 20th century.

#54681 - 06/18/04 07:30 AM Re: Questions about Bull Fighting
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
No VPL there then taravb cool wink cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments