Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5463 - 03/16/03 06:07 PM Madrid: Hostal Oporto
frankkathi Offline

Has anyone had any experiances at Hostal Oporto ? Are they located in a good area....near a Metro station?

#5464 - 03/16/03 06:36 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Oporto
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi frankkathi and welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

Please tell us, where in Spain is this Hotel Oporto located? I'll add the city/region to your subject line. Thanks! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5465 - 03/31/03 06:55 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Oporto
redwingsfreak_19 Offline

Loc: Lansing Mi USA
Are you referring to Hostal Oporto in Madrid? If so i styaed there 3 years ago, and it was very nice. The owners are very very freindly, its not all that near to a Metro, yet its not that far of a walk either. The street it is on is Zorilla i believe. It is behind a Government building, so there are armed guards in the road which makes it feel very safe. The road is really an alleyway actually, it is pretty close to Atocha, and the Prado too. We were in Madrdi 2 different times during the trip and stayed there both times, the rooms are nice sized. Theres usually one maybe 2 bathrooms on the floor, so you have to share, yet theres usually not many people there. Overall i liked it a lot. If yould liek more let me know and i will do my best to help you out.

#5466 - 03/31/03 07:20 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Oporto
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yeah, I think (s)he's referring to the same Hostal Oporto in Madrid. If so, I stayed there one night in October 2000. Great place. My review of it in this forum can be found by using the SEARCH link above/right using MADRID OPORTO as keywords to find it. It's located on a quiet street right behind the Congress building and is about between and 2 blocks from the SOL and BANCO DE ESPAñA metro stops.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5467 - 03/31/03 10:44 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Oporto
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Frankathi,
Yes they are located in an excellent and safe area. I stayed at the Suecia, a couple of blocks north of the Oporto, but passed by the Oporto on my way to the Prado, don't be put off by the ordinary looking doorway, very clean. Zorilla will take you downhill to the Paseo del Prado area. There was a very nice little grocery store on Zorilla where I would buy juice and treats. It is located near the Cortes, which is like their congress so you will see soldiers carrying weapons. But they are very nice, I stopped and asked one of them for directions and the fellow was very courteous.

The ambiance is magnificent because of it's European narrow street look, and also, if I remember it is rather steep. I followed it and it ends near the Prado and near MadridMan's favorite tapa bar el Brillante! Which, happens to be next to a darling little souvenir shop, where you can buy souvenirs a lot cheaper than on the Prado Museum gift shop! They also sell suitcases, if you buy a lot! laugh

You have a couple of metro stops north of you in
Sevilla and Banco de España. Banco de España is on the corner of Alcala and Marques de Cubas. I was staying on a little side street El Marques de Casa Riera. You can follow Carretera San Jeronimo and turn on Sevilla to hit the metro stop in Sevilla.

Now you have made me yearn for Madrid! frown smile

Enjoy yourself and tell us all about your trip.

#5468 - 03/31/03 10:59 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Oporto
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks, Booklady. SEVILLA is the nearest metro stop, not SOL as I said above. Duh! And that SEVILLA metro stop is about 1.5 blocks away.

In my review I posted links to many photos of Hostal Oporto but here's one of a view out my balcony looking up Calle Zorilla towards Plaza de Canalejas:

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments