Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#54373 - 01/10/04 08:21 AM Re: please tell me about spains problems
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I agree with Booklady. The ground that has been covered has been an enormous help to me in understanding the situation as it exists in Spain. Although I see similarities here in the U.S., I can understand why Spaniards would be concerned about the future, and where the nation is going in regards to the people.

I ask one question. How much of the corruption is related to the past? Is this a carryover situation that relates as far back as the Franco regime? Was it acceptable within their group, and now a problem because it was standard procedure?

Extremely interesting thread. I appreciate it being here.

Wolf

#54374 - 01/10/04 09:03 AM Re: please tell me about spains problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Wolf. In Franco's times, people simply didn't have any information on corruption.

According to the dictator's media, all was perfectly well. The only info you had about corruption was through your personal experience in nepotism when finding a job, speculation with food prices (estraperlo), et caetera.

Nowadays, it's all the same. Nepotism and clientelism has invaded the few areas that were free, even civil servants examinations, the speculation with prices (that Franco fighted regulating them by law, and PSOE through mass imports) has changed into estate especulation.

This permitted game they play with our basic needs (food and shelter), rocketing prices for their benefit, giving their share to politicians to get their consent, is making us poorer. No matter if we have more pesetas or euros if they are not good enough to have a roof or buy healthy food (the food we can afford nowadays is each day of a worse quality, try to buy naturally grown products!).

#54375 - 01/10/04 04:29 PM Re: please tell me about spains problems
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
This is very interesting because in the U.S. the cost of living is very high. There are many people who live in the the major cities who work two jobs just to be able to afford the apts. I also know that barcelona is planning on building 100.000 units over the next few years. The cost of housing is becoming out of reach for many spaniards.Salaries have to increase. The only draw back is that social bebefits might decrease. Germany is undergoing a reform to its system. No longer can indidviduals who are out of wok just collect money(the stipend has decreased). If there is a job available they must take it.

I took a class on the spanish civil war last semester. My teacher said that Aznar is a relative of Franco. She also said that many relatives of franco work in the Spanish government. I did not know this.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments