Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5404 - 03/14/03 08:03 AM Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
heidiah Offline

Loc: Finland
I will travel alone to Madrid for one week (from April 28th to May 6th), and I'm thinking of staying in one of these hostels: Hostal Las Murallas , Hostal Horizonte or Los Amigos Hostel.

Somebody recommended the Los Amigos, but what about the other two? Are they in safe areas (I'm a 19-year-old girl travelling alone)? Hostal Horizonte is in Calle Atocha nº28, Las Murallas is in Calle Fuencarral, 23 - 4º and Las Amigos is in Campomanes Nº6.

And is it better to have your own room or sleep in a dormitory? Since I will be travelling alone, I'd like to meet other people, if you see what I mean.

Any recommendations or suggestions about other places? I don't want to pay over 20 €/night.

#5405 - 03/14/03 10:56 PM Re: Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi heidiah! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board! smile

Quote:
And is it better to have your own room or sleep in a dormitory? Since I will be travelling alone, I'd like to meet other people, if you see what I mean.
The question "Is it better..." is a subjective one. To each his/her own, I'd say. If you want privacy then a dormitory-style establishment isn't for you. BUT, if you wnat to meet other people then a youth-hostels type establish IS for you.

"Hostales" are budget hotels with private rooms and you get your own key to YOUR room so you aren't likely to meet anyone here except the owners/managers of the establishment.

Try the SEARCH link and use short, specific terms to find previously posted information about your selections. smile

To meet others, you can always "Put Out The Call" to get together with others in Madrid (be sure to specify the city location in your subject line to make it clear) in the "Classifieds & Personals" forum here on the message board.

Good luck and have fun! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5406 - 03/15/03 08:08 AM Re: Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
I'd suggest c/Fuencarral would be worth avoiding, but if your budget is 20 euros a night you might have to compromise a bit on your wish list.

#5407 - 03/15/03 09:31 AM Re: Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
heidiah Offline

Thank you both. smile

Hmm, I want to meet people, but on the other hand I want some privacy too (I am from Finland after all! laugh ). But I think I will go to a youth hostel, because I don't want to spend the whole week by myself.

#5408 - 03/15/03 10:17 AM Re: Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Meeting people AND having privacy might be contradictory terms when considering lodging establishments. There are only a few youth-hostel type places in Spain which have a few private rooms and I don't think Madrid has any.

It can be quite difficult to meet people if traveling alone if you're not staying at a youth-hostel type place unless you're especially outgoing. I've often met people on trains where we've walked together and saw sights after arriving at our destinations. But if you're THERE and looking for companionship then it's a challenge.

Maybe consider the youth-hostel option for half of your nights and a private room for the other half?? Or a youth-hostel the FIRST night, meet people and make plans with then, and get yourself a private room afterwards. Not sure.. it's a toughy. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5409 - 03/15/03 05:17 PM Re: Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
heidiah Offline

I think I'll stay in a youth-hostel, probably in the Los Amigos. Now I'll just have to persuade my dad to give his credit card number...

Thank you very much, MadridMan, your advice has been helpful. smile

#5410 - 03/16/03 06:24 PM Re: Madrid: hostal las murallas, hostal horizonte or los amigos hostel?
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
Hi there! I stayed in a hostal in the same building as Los Amigos. It's located on a very quiet and safe street just steps away from the Opera Metro. You'll find it's a very friendly place. Bon voyage!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments