Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#539 - 10/04/00 02:28 PM Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Help - some Senior Citizen relatives of mine have had their holiday itinerary changed and I am trying to find out as much about the new arrangements as possible.

They are on a tour of Andalucia next March as a special birthday celebration.

They were particularly looking forward to staying at Hotel Mijas in Mijas, however they have heard this morning that arrangements have been changed and they will now be staying at Hotel Malaga Palacio which is right in the middle of Malaga.

From what I can tell from my own investigations, there is no comparison between the two places, and I feel they may be disappointed? They are also staying in Granada and Seville and so were looking forward to not staying another few nights in a city.

I am sure Malaga has a lot going for it, but not what they were looking for.

If anyone can help with any information I would be most grateful - they are considering cancelling the holiday because of this.

Dave in Nerja - do you know anything about this hotel? I know that Hotel Mijas is somewhere you probably know about, but what about Hotel Malaga Palacio?

Thanks.

Jo-Anne

PS - just sitting here imagining MM enjoying his calamari bocadillos etc. He sounds to be eating so much, I think we need a before and after photo of him.

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 10-05-2000).]

#540 - 10/04/00 06:13 PM Re: Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I would not recommend Mijas. Mijas has been so bent out of shape by tourism that even Spaniards who know the place think of Mijas as "poor Mijas."
Cantabene

#541 - 10/05/00 04:19 AM Re: Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
The centre of Malaga is certainly a more "full-on", real Spanish place than Mijas, which as noted above, has become something of a tourist's idea of what an Andalucian Pueblo should look like (complete with municipal donkeys). However, it is undoubtedly pretty with spectacular views of the coast, and if that's what someone is looking for ...

Re. The Malaga Palacio - the tour company have spared no expense there. It's Malaga's premier hotel (apart from the parador, which is rather inaccessible, being perched on top of a hill). I'm sure day trips to Mijas can be arranged no problem. It would be a shame to cancel the whole trip just to avoid staying at the Palacio!

#542 - 10/05/00 06:36 PM Re: Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Cantabene and El Boqueron for your advice.

I think I have convinced my relatives that they would enjoy Malaga, I know I would certainly prefer it to Mijas myself.

I think that part of the problem was that the website for Hotel Mijas looks beautiful whereas the one for Hotel Malaga Palacio makes the hotel look unappealing regardless of what one might think of the difference between the two places.

Any other advice or info would be gratefully received as this couple are not adventurous people and would appreciate any further gen on Hotel Palacio, and also how they might enjoy Malaga.

I know, I know, you or I might just arrive in Malaga and thoroughly enjoy whatever experience we came across, but these people are not like that - they are on an 8 day tour of Andalucia along with a coach load of other English people, and they are the kind of people who would have probably looked upon the 'municipal donkeys' as the highlight of their holiday!!

------------------

#543 - 10/06/00 09:15 AM Re: Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
El Boqueron Offline

I know what you mean about the views of the hotels. The Palacio looks rather a nondescript modern kind of place, and lacks any kind of Andalusian style. However, it is in the centre of Malaga which, though busy, is quite an attractive place. The Cathedral is very close, in a nice setting. Behind the cathedral is a small garden with a line of cafes facing it. I'm sure your friends would enjoy the El Jardin cafe. Above this is the Alcazaba, Malaga's Moorish monument (entry is still free I think. It's no Alhambra, but still enjoyable).

The Paseo del Parque starts right outside the door of the Palacio. This is a large "park" of palm and other tropical trees, and is a favourite strolling area for Malaguegnos of ALL ages. A little further east, beyond the bull ring, the paseo maritimo (promenade) starts. At the beach (e.g., La Malagueta or La Caleta) there are great sea food bars, where you can have a quiet drink, sitting under palm tress watching the waves (the beach will be virtually deserted). If they fancy a romantic meal for two in great sea-front restaurant, they could try the Restaurante Antonio Martin at Malagueta.

And finally...not to be outdone by Mijas' donkeys (which pull tourist carts), Malaga has horse-drawn cabs which offer tours of the city! I'm sure they'll find plenty to enjoy!

#544 - 10/06/00 11:01 AM Re: Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
El Boqueron Offline

Sorry - this is a double post! The system won't let me delete the second one.

Hi Jo-Anne - I know what you mean about the Palacio. It's kind of nondescript modern in style, which is a pity as its surrounded by some very attractive buildings. But quaint it ain't.

Nevertheless, it is nicely located in the "historic" centre of Malaga, which is an attractive place (albeit rather busy). Malaga cathedral is just around the corner (if your relatives like Baroque churches, there are a number of others in the centre, e.g., Iglesia de los Santos Martires). At the back of the cathedral is a small garden, with a line of cafes facing it. I'm sure your relatives would enjoy a drink (or something to eat) in, say, Cafe El Jardin. Nearby is the Alcazaba/Gibralfaro, Malaga's moorish monuments. It's no Alhambra but still interesting (and still free to enter, I think). The whole of the city centre is really an enjoyable, atmospheric place to explore, and I'm sure the hotel will help with advice and maps.

The Paseo del Parque begins right outside the door of the hotel. This is a long, straight "park", comprising of hundreds of palm and tropical trees. This is a favourite strolling area for Malaguegnos of ALL ages. The "prom" (Paseo Maritimo) is a little further away, starting at Malgueta (to the east, past the bull ring). The beach is well supplied with excellent sea food bars (chiringuitos). Here you can sit and have a drink under the palm trees, in what should still be pleasantly warm weather (with basically empty beaches). They could try the sea front Restaurante Antonio Martin for a romantic evening meal!

And not forgetting the donkeys.., well, in Malaga they use horses to pull the carriages instead of donkeys, but they will still take you for a nice trip around the town! The starting point is next to the cathedral.

Tell your relatives not to worry. I'm sure they'll have a great time in Malaga!

[This message has been edited by El Boqueron (edited 10-06-2000).]

#545 - 10/08/00 06:13 AM Re: Hotel Mijas/Hotel Malaga Palacio
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks El Boqueron

It now seems that between us we have managed to persuade them to continue with their holiday.

I have printed your info out and they can take it with them for inspiration!

Jo-Anne

------------------

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments