Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5381 - 03/13/03 04:42 PM Lodging in Madrid
Rizos Offline

Hello everyone! I'm will visit Madrid from 3/28-3/31 and I'm looking for a place to stay. I have gotten plenty of info from this site but it's still pretty confusing.

So far, it seems that some of the favorites are Hostal Lopez, Hostal Adriano and Hotel Plaza Mayor. I have traveled quite a bit in Europe and I know what to expect in regards to room size and 'ammenities'or lack thereof wink My main concerns are cleanliness, safety and friendly/helpful staff. Which of these would be best for a single woman traveler?

Gracias a todos!

#5382 - 03/13/03 05:45 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I can't personally vouch for Hotel Plaza Mayor because I've never stayed there but I can say that Hostal López is always spotlessly clean and the owners are very "family-like" and kind. The daughter, Nuria, speaks English but the mother/father do not.

I'm sure you've read how helpful the owner of Hostal Adriano has been with some of our message board members. Usually, "hostales" are cleaned daily. I've stayed at a number of them and toured more of them and have never seen a dirty one. Hostal "hostal" rooms are quite small and the restrooms the same. This bothers some people but with prices as cheaply as they are, relative to hotels that is, I'll take a smaller room since I only plan to spend 8 hours a night there anyway and don't plan to see anything but the insides of my eyelids while I'm sleeping. hehehe.. wink But then again, I guess there ARE other things to do in the room. wink wink wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5383 - 03/14/03 07:31 AM Re: Lodging in Madrid
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I can personally vouch for Hotel Plaza Mayor! I stayed there last summer for about three weeks and it was great! I, too, was a single woman traveler and it met my needs. The rooms are very clean, the staff very friendly (some speak English), and the location is very safe. You're just a stone's throw from the Plaza Mayor so there's always people out and about. The hotel itself is perched on a well-lit, well-traveled plaza. I'll probably stay there again this summer.

#5384 - 03/14/03 12:45 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
Rizos Offline

ARRGH! Both Hostal Lopez and Hotel Plaza Mayor are booked frown I've emailed Hostal Adriano and hopefully I will find a room.

Any other suggestions? MadridMan, can you pull some strings with Hostal Lopez wink ?

#5385 - 03/14/03 01:55 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
DTW Offline

Loc: Dallas
Hostal La Perla Asturiana is across the street from Hotel Plaza Mayor and I have stayed there previously. I'll be in Madrid the first part of April and would have stayed there again but it was booked for a group during that time. I would recommend it.

#5386 - 03/14/03 11:30 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Rizos, I don't think I can pull any strings at Hostal López . If they're full they're full. They might have ONE single (no bathroom) available if you'd consider that. BUT....it's RIGHT next to the reception desk and front door and there can be quite a bit of noise with people coming and going and talking at all hours. It's cheaper though.

Be sure to also try Hostal Chelo off the Gran Vía[/url] and the Hostales Martín & Cervelo , both on Calle de Atocha - not far from the Plaza Mayor. They have lots of rooms (one's above the other) and your chances are good of finding a room there. I've stayed at Cervelo AND Chelo and can personally recommend them both.

Seems to me that Hostal La Perla Asturiana had lots of rooms too. I toured them in 2000 and they're RIGHT next to the Plaza Mayor. They've had good reviews in the past but nothing for awhile now.

Have a great time in Spain! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5387 - 03/14/03 11:53 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
Rizos Offline

Thanks MadridMan! I keep trying and let you guys know how I make out.

#5388 - 03/15/03 08:14 AM Re: Lodging in Madrid
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
If you keep getting "sorry we're full" responses, have you considered not booking in advance? If you trawl the streets round Sol/Santa Ana?Plaza Mayor there are 100,s of places to choose from. Best of all, you get to get the feel of the area first so you can feel comfortable about its safety. Also, you get to check out rooms and prices before making a decision.

#5389 - 03/15/03 04:03 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
Rizos Offline

Okay, it looks like both Hostal Persal and Hostal Adriano have availability for the days I need. Hostal Adriano is 50 euros for a double and Hostal Persal is 75 euros for a double with breakfast included. Is the breakfast worth the extra 25 euros? How cheap/easy is it to find food in the morning? I can't function unless I have my expresso in the mornings. Thanks for your replies.

#5390 - 03/15/03 05:02 PM Re: Lodging in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Rizos, I really appreciate the amount of thought you're putting into this. Really! I do! Good for you.

Hostal Persal , as you've seen from their website and from reviews here, is more like a hotel than a "hostal". The rooms basic but the rest is hotel-like with a large, nice lobby, restaurant, large reception area, etcetera. While I don't know for sure, I'd guess the breakfast at Persal is just danishes, fruit, maybe cheeses and hams for breakfast and of course coffee and juices.

Hostal Adriano , while I haven't seen it for myself yet (will tour it next month - maybe spend a night too though) I believe it to be a typical "hostal" - although the rooms in their photos don't look "typical" at all for a "hostal" - nice! Seems you might have a chance for a balcony at Adriano while I don't think there are balconies at Persal.

Your question about IF there were places around to get breakfast and coffee made me giggle a little. In central Madrid and ALL over Spain there are always LOTS of places open in the mornings for breakfast and coffee. Of course, the breakfasts are typically very simple, most only offering toast and coffee or CHURROS & PORRAS (mmmmmm... My mouth is watering already!!!). There are probably 4-6 places for breakfast within a stone's throw of either of these two, well-located "hostales".

And remember, the word "hostals" doesn't exist in any language. It's an english-ized or Spanglish word of the plural form "hostal". The actual English translation - according to the Spanish government themselves - is "hostel" or "hostels" for plural. The word "hostel" in Spain shouldn't be confused with "youth-hostel" though. Outside of the Spanish speaking world, the word "hostel" is really only an abbreviation of the term "youth-hostel" and are used to mean the same thing. Not in Spain or Latin America though. smile (this "hostals" versus "hostels" crusade is something that just won't leave me. Hmph! wink )

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments