Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53526 - 12/10/02 10:13 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Chica, how am I going to make CHURROS!? (Though I would be willing to try if someone taught me how! And maybe I can find them in a bakery somewhere in town.) You're so right about that prince....

I hadn't thought about Don Quixote. I adore windmills, so it would be fun to talk about those...I wonder if there's a children's story based on Don Q?

Once upon a time, I could use castanuelas...but I haven't tried in AGES. I think I have a pair somewhere, though...

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! Maybe other board members will also invade their children's classrooms for a little Spain-lesson. We need to start indoctrinating the next generation, after all....

#53527 - 12/10/02 10:30 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Can you all believe that nobody seems to have written a children's story (in English) based on the tale of Don Quixote? What a perfect story for kids...full of slapstick humor, off-the-wall antics...how could it be that nobody has thought of that? It would be lovely to illustrate, too!

I am really excited about the idea of telling the children some of Don Q's adventures...but I haven't read the book in so long, I really need a refresher course!

I'll be there are stories for children in SPAIN based on Don Quixote...

#53528 - 12/10/02 03:07 PM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I've found some Don Quixote books for children but none of them are interesting for your children. There was even an e-book with sound and pictures but it was a very short one (just 16 pages / episode) for $5.

Check out the website for the Spanish cartoon series of Don Quixote . Perhaps you can use some pictures from there.

#53529 - 12/10/02 05:28 PM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Thank you, Antonio--I will look around that site and see if I can find anything that would be useful in the class!

Tara smile

#53530 - 12/10/02 09:06 PM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Taravb, this is right up my alley, seeing as I am a Kinder teacher myself!!
I think the music, pic's of castles and windmills, also a tortilla, are age appropriate. If you can get a hold of horchata, that would be good too.
I haven't yet begun my search for Spanish children's stories in English but if I come up with one, I'll let you know.
We sing a lot and an easy song to learn in Spanish for English speakers is sung to the tune of Frere Jacques (remember that one?)
It goes:
Buenos Dias,
Buenos Dias,
Como estas?
Como estas?
Muy bien, gracias
Muy bien, gracias
Y usted?
Y usted?

Then: Buenas Tardes and Buenas Noches.

Does that make sense.
Anyway, it is an easy song for them and we sing it all the time, they really like it and think they are speaking Spanish. smile

#53531 - 12/11/02 01:02 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
You might consider a short lesson on the transition from a Fascist dictatorship to a fledgling constitutional monarchy, as well as an attempted coup d'etat. I find that nothing wakes up the kinder quite like a rousing discussion on foreign politics and Falange!

Sincerely,
Wolf

[sorry, couldn't resist, ol' pal... laugh ] Stay warm, hermano!

...actually I like the music and tortilla ideas best! Aaah, to be 5 in Minnesota again!

#53532 - 12/11/02 06:20 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
Miguelito Offline

Maybe you can show them an idea of all the cultures that have come across the country and a vision of the geography...to give a real vision, although..
Have you watched 'Bienvenido Mr.Marshall', I think you should dress yourself with a gitana dress and sing them a copla and dance like Lola Flores or similar. You can take also a geranio and a reja to decorate the classroom.

#53533 - 12/11/02 07:04 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Miguel - are you offering your services to Tara?

Quote:
dance like Lola Flores or similar

wink

OK MM I promise this is the last time!

#53534 - 12/11/02 07:25 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
Miguelito Offline

Oh!, this is harassment!! wink
Nobody can talk about dance without Jo's menace.
Of course, I can dance like Lola, although she didn't do it like in that photo. Anyway, you won't see it, maybe you could be with a spy camera.

#53535 - 12/11/02 09:12 AM Re: Introducing Spain to Kindergarten class?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Miguelito, how soon can you catch a plane to Minnesota? These kids need dance lessons!

Thanks again for all the suggestions...now I have Buenos Dias/Frere Jacques stuck in my head! I think I will skip the part about the Falange and let the first grade teacher handle that next year. wink

I will let you all know how it turns out!

Tara

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments