Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#53434 - 11/19/02 09:50 AM Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, all--
What's the latest on this horrible oil tanker disaster? I caught a bit of news on NPR and it sounds like there is already oil on the beaches...true?
FIVE MINUTES LATER...
I'll answer my own question...I just checked out the news online, and it looks like there are already cleanup crews on the beaches near Finisterra, shoveling (!) oil. How is it we didn't hear anything about this in the USA until today--when the leaks started 6 days ago!!!?

#53435 - 11/19/02 10:24 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
The news appeared on CNN a few days ago, I also saw it on CBS Evening News with Dan Rather.

The thing that kills me is that this has happened before not far from the present site (A couple years ago??). Someone should be handcuffed and flogged and then put in the "Plaza de Toros Monumental" to face a Spanish bull wearing nothing but tears and underwear every time this occurs "....until dead, dead, dead."

#53436 - 11/19/02 10:58 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
To sum up what happened:

Some days ago a fuel cargo ship having 77,000 tons of fuel aboard started to break in two parts. Authorities tried to send it far from the galaecian coast, until it was at 100 miles aprox.

It's fuel tanks started to broke one by one. Now almost 10,000 tons are either over the sea's surface or have reached the environmental rich coast of Galaecia. The ship is sinking, and it may release the rest of the cargo anytime.

This disaster is going to leave 100 miles of coast with a great environmental damage. Shellfish and fish is going to die, and thousands of fishermen are going to loose their jobs.

It seems that the ship was very old (almost 30 years) and should have passed some controls which would have remove it from the seas. To avoid european controls it had a Bahamas flag, and used the Gibraltar seaport, because Gibraltar has much softer controls.

European Union and Spain are blaiming Gibraltar for it, while UK is denying that the final destiny was Gibraltar, and that the ship didn't pass through Gibraltar (apparently there are documents which state that the ship was actually going to Gibraltar and that it has passed controls in Gibraltar before).

What it is true is that this is going to be one of the worst environmental dissasters in all our history.

Fernando

#53437 - 11/19/02 04:42 PM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Several of my friends contacted me this morning (they all know how much I love Spain) to update me on the details of the disaster.

This truly hit home for me as I just visited Galicia in April and drove up the coast from Santiago to Finesterra. I even remarked that it was the most spectacular stretch of scenery that I've even seen in Europe and in the U.S. (and I live at the beach in SCAL).

It disturbs me to think how long it will take for this to be cleaned up and the long term environmental impact. frown

#53438 - 11/20/02 05:20 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I think about the Mejilloneras in the Ria de Pontevedra, Islas Cies, Baiona y las Playas en la ria de Vigo and the great mercado de Pescado at the foot of la Pedra across from the port of Vigo and I weep.

The Economies of Spain and Portugal will be hit very hard; but it's also going to be felt all across Europe. I met a Soanish fishing boat crew in Connemara (Ireland) last May. They're going to suffer, too.

Tanker Prestige sank 130 mi west of Finisterre yesterday (19 Nov). Two of its fully laden oil tanks went to the bottom. Authorities hope that the pressure at a depth of about 3km will keep them sealed

#53439 - 11/20/02 09:38 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
The ramifications of this tanker sinking will be felt for a decade or more. My heart goes out to all those whose lives depend on fishing, and tourism, in the area. It's a disaster that could have been avoided, if international ship requirements were changed, insuring that all oil tankers be required to be double-hull type, to prevent this from happening. The blame rests on everyone's shoulders, because most of us take the regulatory standards for shipping, for granted.

Yes, that would mean scrapping a large percentage of the existing tanker fleet, and a higher cost for services, but in the end, would it ever cost more than something like this? Just the fact that that tanker will be falling apart, and destroying one of the most beautiful places in the world, should be enough, to make us all react.

What is most humbling is seeing the birds that are succumbing to man's errors. We may feel pity for them, but in the end, it's ourselves we should pity, because we've failed to protect the most precious treasures we have on earth.

In the end, people will forget about it, because it wasn't their nation, or their shores that were destroyed. That's what makes this tragedy even worse.

Wolf

#53440 - 11/20/02 09:39 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Shawn on 11-20-2002 @ 12:39 AM]
------------------------------
I am deeply sadden to see the formerly pristine Galacian coastline converted into a sea of crude oil. It is deeply disturbing to read and view reports of this disaster. It appears that it has already destroyed great amounts of wildlife and marine life, we can only hope that the thousands of fishermen who depend upon the abundant seafood will be able to survive this.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53441 - 11/20/02 09:55 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, the fishing has been forbidden all the area, so apart form the environmental consequences, there are also economical consequences. I remember that when the Ericka sinked, the French government sewed TotalFina because it was the company who was receiving the fuel, and they were forced to pay part of the cleaning. I wonder why the Spanish governement doesn´t do the same thing. I guess the fuel was meant to be sent to some company/companies. They should find out who had made the order of the fuel and then make them responsible of that. TotalFina is still being charged for the sinking of the ERicka.

#53442 - 11/20/02 10:13 PM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Here's the link, in English, to the USATODAY.com article about the spill:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2002-11-20-tanker-usat_x.htm

Here's the first couple paragraphs:

Oil spill contaminates life on Spanish coast

By Ellen Hale, USA TODAY

CAION, Spain — Spongy, basketball-sized globs of oil coagulate on the white sand beaches of this small fishing village where more than 50 families make their living from the sea.

"I would be out for pulpo (squid) this time of year," says Evaristo Lois, 47, who has worked the fish-rich waters off the coast of Galicia province since he was 15. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather were all pescadores.
===========
Sadly, MadridMan frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#53443 - 11/21/02 12:51 AM Re: Environmental disaster off of Galician coast
Espe3 Offline

MM- 'pulpo' is octopus, not squid (calamar). wink The reporter needs to double check his info!

Carmen- I'm sure the Spanish government will go after everyone involved... but its still early, and its going to take time. I think they're right in proceeding with precaution.

Wolf, I'm so with you there! I totally agree!

Thank you Gibraltar!

I started to mention this in the Gibraltar debate a few days ago.
As Fernando reported, the Prestige passed inspection there- one more reason some type of agreement must be reached about Gibraltar's future. This and many other ships pass inspection there, full knowing they can't pass anywhere in the EU. So who knows what other floating bombs are out there? frown There are already over a thousand families whose livlihoods depend on the sea that are ruined frown
The problem isn't only with the coast or the ocean either, let's not forget Galicias many, many 'rias' smile what will become of them!! :o

It's sad, horrible and cruel, especially when accidents like this can be completely avoided. The worst is that I'm sorry to say this isn't even the worst yet! They're afraid that the pressure will open the tanks holding the 77,000(tons I think?!) of oil left in the boat! frown But even if they don't explode open.. those tanks aren't made to sit in water... eventually it will come out! frown

First mad cow scare, and now this?! How long will it be before we feel comfortable eating seafood again!? Navidades sin gambas y cangrejo?!

If they are taking volunteers like they did in Alaska, I'll go! So if any of you hear anything... POST IT!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments