Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5338 - 03/06/03 01:52 PM Madrid this weekend
hazymat Offline

Loc: uk
dear all

i know it's late notice. i'm off for a weekend break to madrid with my friend tomorrow and haven't anywhere to stay yet.

from what i gather, we could book a hotel for 3 nights for 260 Euros (for the two of us).

ideally, we'd like to stay in a vibrant part of town... we are doing it on budget but at the same time would like fairly decent rooms.

we arrive evening time, so will want to set down, and go off to explore.

how easy is it to make our way around if we don't talk spanish?!

where's the best and most fun place to explore on a friday night - are the shops open?

re accommodation, i've checked out the reviews on this site, and they are all informative. but could someone suggest a good hostel or cheap hotel in a lively place in town?

many thanks

mat

#5339 - 03/06/03 02:19 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I highly recommend the Hotel Plaza Mayor . Great location in the thick of things: just off the Plaza Mayor, without being too noisy or congested. Reasonable prices--about 70-80 euros for a double--comfortable rooms, friendly staff,etc.

#5340 - 03/06/03 03:06 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
hazymat Offline

Quote:
I highly recommend the Hotel Plaza Mayor. Great location in the thick of things: just off the Plaza Mayor, without being too noisy or congested. Reasonable prices--about 70-80 euros for a double--comfortable rooms, friendly staff,etc.
Sounds nice. Any other suggestions for somewhere a bit cheaper? Not too much cheaper, just a bit. Also, where's the best 'first-place' (area) to visit... i.e. any suggestions where we should go for the first night (is there a "most-do-this-first" spot?)

#5341 - 03/06/03 03:11 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
Guapetona Offline

i HIGHLY recommend La Macarena:

Address Cava de San Miguel 8
Location Near the Puerta del Sol
Transportation Metro: Puerta del Sol
Phone 91-365-92-21

Fax 91-364-27-57

Room Information 25 units

Prices 63€ double; 84€ triple; 96€ quad

its in the middle of everything..shopping,
dining and nightlife. ask for a balcony room
for a great view. laugh

#5342 - 03/06/03 03:42 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
hazymat Offline

Macarena sounds nice. Will probably go ahead and book it.

Any other suggestions??

Mat

#5343 - 03/06/03 03:50 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
Madrid has a lot of business men hotels full on working days but Saturday and Sunday are empty and the hotels give interesting offers.

There is in Barajas airport, Chamartin and Atocha stations commercial desk where you can book a good hotel (3/4 stars ), you have to ask for week end offers.
luck
ABP

#5344 - 03/06/03 04:55 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
hazymat Offline

ok... one more question:

what is the best guide in english to what's on that i can buy once i get to madrid? would very much like to sample the live music scene over the weekend.

are there any festivals or major events on at the moment?

#5345 - 03/06/03 05:57 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Regarding cheaper lodgings, you might consider Hostal Aresol , JUST off the Puerta del Sol. I spent one night there, liked it just fine, and it's gotten plenty of good reviews too. It's also very near the popular Palacio Gaviria & Joy Eslava discos.

Right on the Puerta del Sol is the lesser-expensive (similar to Hotel Plaza Mayor ) but equally popular is the Hotel Europa . I've heard it described as "Funky" but not in a bad way - I don't think. hehehee.. Some friends of mine stayed there a few nights and they liked it just fine.

Regarding English-language "What's On" publications would include "In Madrid" but there aren't many of these kinds of publications available in English.

Good luck and have a GREAT time! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5346 - 03/06/03 09:13 PM Re: Madrid this weekend
el viajero Offline

I've stayed at the Hostal Cruz-Sol a few times. It's just behind the Plaza Mayor, a very short walk from the Puerta del Sol. If I recall correctly, I got a single room with ensuite facilities for about 40 euros a night.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 349 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments