Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5334 - 03/04/03 05:11 PM Madrid: Looking for Hostel
lawguy625 Offline

I'm thinking of visiting Madrid in a couple weeks or so. Unfortunately I've never visited Spain, and don't speak any Spanish. I'd like to find a hostel, preferably under 30 euros, private bath would be nice but not necessary. I'm not familiar with Madrid, but I understand the Plaza Mayor might be a good base of operations for a first time tourist like myself? Can anyone recommend a hostel that either accepts online reservations or has someone with some English so I can call and make reservations?

#5335 - 03/04/03 06:58 PM Re: Madrid: Looking for Hostel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello lawguy625! Welcome to our All Spain Message Board! smile

Most all hostels will accept reservations in English by email. Just keep it very simple like:

"Do you have a room available?"
Name: lawguy625 wink
Date of arrival: April 11th
Time of arrival: 3:00pm
Number of nights: 3
Number of people: 1

While the below three aren't the ONLY ones which are next to the Plaza Mayor they're the only ones which come to mind. They all have English-language versions and online English reservation request forms too:

Hostal Residencia TIJCAL gets good reviews and is UP AGAINST the Plaza Mayor. AHEM! 39-53 (gulp!) Euros for a single.
Hostal La Perla Asturiana is also right up against the Plaza Mayor. 33 Euros for a single.
Hostal Cruz Sol is across the small plaza outside the Plaza Mayor. 36 Euros for a single.

You can likely find previously posted reviews about all three by using the SEARCH link in the upper righthand corner. Use keywords like MADRID TIJCAL or MADRID ASTURIANA or MADRID CRUZ SOL.

All those I have listed on MadridMan\'s Madrid Hostels page are located in/around the old city center, most all of them are within walking distance from the Plaza Mayor.

Good luck and have a great time! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5336 - 03/04/03 09:00 PM Re: Madrid: Looking for Hostel
lawguy625 Offline

Thanks, that was really helpful. This is off topic, but how difficult is it getting around in Madrid without Spanish (other than what I can learn on the flight smile )? Also, I'm a little apprehensive about going alone...not that I don't like the adventure of it, but I'm a pretty social person and want to get a healthy dose of madrid nightlife as well as do sightseeing. any tips for mingling with the locals?

#5337 - 03/04/03 09:12 PM Re: Madrid: Looking for Hostel
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Glad to help you with the hostels.

And yes, this is off-topic (we try hard to stay on-topic 'round these parts, Pilgrim! wink ) I'd say NOW is the best time to "put out the call" in the "Classifieds & Personals" telling everyone the days you'll be in Madrid (or wherever) and if others would like to join you for a night out.

Regarding not speaking any Spanish, this could be a challenge. The bartenders won't likely speak any English. Just KNOW what you're ordering BEFORE you order it. Hehehe.. Or point to something behind the glass and that'll do fine too. The real challenge will be understanding the total after you're finished eating/drinking at the end of the visit to ABC Bar.

Shame you still be in Madrid on Friday, April 11th for the HUGE MadridMan gathering.

Good luck and have a GRRRREAT time! I feel your excitement!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 815 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments