Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Now here's an interesting expenditure of public relations monies:

¡Callaos todos!

#53069 - 09/24/02 04:33 PM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Truly, Cali, I thought that was one of your bogus links. What will they think of next?

#53070 - 09/24/02 04:58 PM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
What??? Huh??? wink

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#53071 - 09/24/02 08:50 PM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
It sounds like this is geared towards the voting residents of Madrid who would like to sleep at night because they have to work the next morning (without the siesta). I'm sure they have more than students living in Madrid, no??? confused

#53072 - 09/24/02 10:55 PM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
This is ridiculous! It will take them centuries to change this cultural pattern, it's like not letting Italians speak with their hands! laugh Maybe the politicians need to get librarians to go around the city shushing everyone! laugh

#53073 - 10/08/02 04:25 PM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

laugh laugh laugh The October7 edition of the New York Times International section had a great article following up on Cali's. Apparently the EU thinks that Madrid is too loud, Ave Maria!
Quote:
A new European Union directive requires all large cities to cut noise levels by five decibels between 7 p.m. and 11 p.m., and by 10 decibels between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., but Madrid will be unable to comply. "To cut noise levels by five decibels, a third of the population would have to go indoors," said Placido Perera, director of Madrid's acoustic control unit. "The levels were set mainly by the Germans and Danes, who are all at home by 5 p.m. because it's so cold."

Imagine! Between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. is when most Madrileños are out having fun! laugh laugh This is so ridiculous that it is funny! This is one for the annals of obsessive-cumpulsively driven countries!

Here are some of the responses in the article:
Quote:
This effort has been greeted with bemusement or angry derision by many citizens, especially those tortured by the "botellón" — the teenage culture of gathering in squares and on sidewalks to party.

"They have the nerve to tell us how to quiet down when they don't even respect their own laws," fumed Carlos Delgado, who lives in a neighborhood known for its happening night life.

In November, parking meters will go into operation around central Madrid. But most people here say they are more likely to set off a rebellion — as a similar plan did some years ago —than to solve the noise problem. This is, after all, a city where residents consider it their constitutional right to double-park.

laugh :p Viva Noisy Madrid!

#53074 - 10/09/02 05:41 AM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
Miguelito Offline

I cannot believe it, in the middle of the campagne against the noise of the Madrid council, the metro company is installing speakers beside the TV screens in the metro station with such a annoying sound, publicity, high volume, and so low fidelity ... mad
And about the parkingmeters, I'm also so annoyed, not so much because of it, but because everybody parks on double line or in the middle of the bus way without any respect, and the police and council don't do anything or cannot do anything, and now, they'll control this parkingmeters,I don't know if I'm so strange, but I have very different priorities for my town!!

#53075 - 10/09/02 10:05 AM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Miguelito,

I would like to ask you, as a citizen of Madrid, do you think that the effort to reduce the noise in Madrid will eventually be achieved?

Madrid is famous, at least in the travel industry guidebooks, for its party atmosphere. Do you think that Madrileños, particularly the young teenagers, will be willing to change their lifestyle to meet this EU codicil?

#53076 - 10/10/02 07:26 AM Re: Hey Spain, "Shut Up!"
Miguelito Offline

No, I think they won't get anything. We have only half year left before the council elections and I think the council government just want some publicity to gain some votes, I don't think they had the real intention of trying to reduce the real noise (cars, motorbikes, works).
About the party night life I think the council doesn't realise how important is this for the tourism in Madrid, and has decided to support the right of resting for the neighbourghs without giving alternatives for the fun of young people. Now, botellon is forbiden and the time to close the pubs is almost as rigurous as in the UK (3:00 am in weekends for the pubs and 5:00 am for discos); of course, when the people goes out of the pub they're as noisy as ever because nobody try to educate young people (and not so young) to respect the rest of the neighbourghs. I think this is the real problem.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 804 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments