Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52679 - 07/11/02 04:09 PM Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
Kaella Offline

Loc: Providence, RI
I've been spending alot of time on this forum because I'm spending the next semester studying in Spain. I'm worried about culture shock. What should I prepare to be shocked about? You guys always have the best advice! smile

#52680 - 07/11/02 10:18 PM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Now this is a situation I can relate to!!!!!
I am currently studying abroad in Spain, (Bilbao, Universidad de Deusto). I got here in the first week of May, and will return to the states mid august. This has been the best experience of my entire life, I am already trying to plan to go back and study at La Universidad de Deusto again for either a semester, or entire year rolleyes I love it here, and I am sure your experience will be equally great smile So what sorts of things should you be ready for? I really did not experience any MAJOR shocks adjusting to life here, maybe I owe that to the wonderful advice and help I got from this message board before leaving for this adventure! There were a few little things I had to adjust to, but now these things dont bother me, and there are many aspects of spanish culture that I will miss when I leave for the USA in August (ex- concept of time...it is 4am here right now and I just have not felt like going to bed yet and with no class tomm, why not stay up all night? hehe).
Anyways, realize before you go that the first week or two will probably be a little "rough".
Some things I was worried about before I left...
-Food- spanish food is awesome!! Although there are some things that I can do without (por ejemplo- sardines baby eels!!) But there are many other foods that I love (magdalenas, tortialla española, natillas, the wine, the list is endless). Try everything!!!
-The Language- I was very worried that my 6 years of Spanish would fail me the minute I set foot on spanish soil eek However, I have had no problems here, in general, everybody was very patient, and after about a month, my fluency had increased enough that I had no problems in this area. Realize that you are going to make mistakes, just laugh them off and learn from them. You will be amazed at how fluent you will become when you have no choice but to use the lanugage!
-Standing out- I really wanted to blend in with local culture. I am kinda lucky on this one (I have dark brown eyes, dark hair and skin- and felt I blended in more in Spain than in the USA hehe). So I really did not have major problems here. I would suggest buying clothes, especially shoes once you get there, you will feel more like a local, and hey, shopping is FUN!!! Try Zara, Mango, Truco, and el corte ingles! Also realize though that no matter what you do, you will always stand out a little, and that is cool, be proud of who you are and where you are from!
-I also really wanted to immerse myself in the culture and avoid hanging out with other americans. This is one reason I would really suggest living with a host family. This is also where your spanish skills really increase!! Dont cling to other foreigners, try making spanish friends, you will be glad you did! People are really friedly if you just make the effort. It is great because they know the local culture...it is so much fun going out with them on the weekends because they know where the "local" secrets are!

It will take a little time to adjust to La vida española, but once you figure out what is what you will find that you become very immersed in the culture and can really begin to feel like a "local". I would suggest living with a host family, that is what I am doing, and I can't say enough wonderful things about them!! Good Luck, and enoy every minute of your time there laugh

#52681 - 07/12/02 03:10 AM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
ahhh those butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling about studying abroad...I recall them as well (mind you that was 14 years ago for me!!)

Kaella -- Kelar hit it all right on the nose. You will experience so many different things here than what you are accustomed to. Believe me, I now live here on a permanent basis and everyday is still a learning experience for me.

I cannot emphasize enough what Kelar said about mixing with the locals. Not that you have to avoid hanging out with other Americans and foreigners, but your study abroad experience is what you make it. Look for opportunities to have intercambios (conversation exchanges) ...or post signs yourself at the university where you will be studying. You will be pleasantly surprised to discover there are as many Spaniards anxious to practice their English with a native speaker and who are as equally nervous about it as you will be about speaking Spanish! I still fondly remember one intercambio that I had, Javier. He wanted to learn English to go to Hollywood to be an actor. We would go to a local bar, drink beer and eat gambas for 4 hours...first talking in Spanish while he corrected me and then talking in English while I corrected him. Believe me, the beer made it easier to talk...as I am sure several MM board members will agree.

However, your biggest culture shock Kelar and Kaella will be when you return home to your local universities. You will have had a lifetime of experiences that none of your friends (those that didn´t study abroad with you) will be able to relate to. You will be flooded with fond memories of staying up until 4am, or not getting ready to go out for the night until midnight....of parties and discos etc.. Meanwhile, your friends will have had a totally different experience than you. They will share common memories that perhaps you may feel left out at times.

This is the culture shock of reintegrating yourself into your own culture. Everything at first will seem foreign to you. You will find yourself saying "why can´t they do like in Spain", etc. You will want to constantly talk about your experiences to everyone around you, and may be disappointed to see that they don´t share your same enthusiasm. You will feel like somehow you don´t belong. That the world is a bigger place than your university and next weekend´s frat party. Don´t worry, this is normal.

As the years pass, once you have returned to the States, you will find yourself yearing for those young and carefree days in Spain (as my husband says, "drunk and riding on the back of a motorbike like an idiot" wink ). You will find yourself planning vacations to Spain... cutting out newspaper clippings related to Spain, logging onto the MM board to offer advice to the new generation of students.

One thing you will never ever do, however, is regret or forget your life changing moments here.

Have a great trip!!! And Kelar, be sure to keep posting once you return to let us know how you are dealing with your "inverse" culture shock.

smile

P.S. Boy didn´t I sound like the over protective mother!! rolleyes

#52682 - 07/12/02 04:34 AM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Yaaa, going back to the States for me is weird too - what a bunch of wussies! They all wanna go to bed at 2! laugh

It's not so much Americans or Brits or whoever, it's a difference in people who have an interest in or who have lived abroad versus those who don't or haven't. My friends in the States tend to be foriegn or norteamericanos who have lived abroad or have strong interests in doing so or traveling a lot, just like in Spain the Spanish people I know are like that.

So you go study a year in Salamanca or wherever and you go back to B.F.E. Estados Unidos, sure you'll be out of sorts.

#52683 - 07/12/02 08:37 AM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
Kaella Offline

I was warned it would be difficult to come back home. Luckily two of my best friends will be in Parma at the same time I am and we can reajust together. One of the hardest decisions about going abroad was leaving my friends for a semester. I'll be staying in a Spanish dorm in Madrid so I hope I get to experience culture there. I loved reading about throwing shrimp heads on the bar floor in another thread. laugh I'll be at Universidad Carlos Tercero taking all my classes in Spanish so I hope I become fluent quickly!

#52684 - 07/12/02 11:38 AM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Chica, thanks for bringing up "inverse" culture shock.... I was just thinking about all the stuff I am going to miss a month from now when I return to the states...I was practically in tears just thinking about leaving all my new friends and host family here frown One thing I had NOT thought of was that when I go back to the USA, not only may things not SEEM the same as when I left them 3 months ago, they may not BE the same. I will definitely remain a part of MM's boards as I "readjust" to life in the states, and begin to prepare to go back for another semester of year in 2003-2004 laugh

#52685 - 07/12/02 01:30 PM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Chica gave excellent advice. As I read your post, a ton of memorias came flooding back. I first studied in Madrid in 1989, and when I came back, all I could think of was my experience there. My friends who had never travelled could not understand and all I ever wanted to do was talk about Spain.
I came back to San Diego and started frequenting a Spanish bar and befriended many Spanish living here (some who are still in my circle today), I ended up meeting my husband there, 12 years ago. He is from Madrid and now, I have the fortune of returning to my favorite city in the whole world on a regular basis.
When you come home, your world will open up tremendously, it will be bigger and you will have grown profoundly! YOu will not only have discovered new things and a new language, but will also appreciate all that you have in the U.S. and be proud of where you come from !!!!
Have a wonderful time!!!!

#52686 - 07/12/02 03:45 PM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
Kaella Offline

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! Kelar, keep me updated on what you're going through. I'm looking at this semester in Spain as a lifetime experience. I spent 10 days in Spain when I was in HS and fell in love!! I've been waiting to go back for the past 4 years. I can already see how I'll experience the culture shock when I get back. I have friends who still live at home and never leave the town where we're from and they think it's crazy I even went to college out of state.
I was warned that Spanish are a lot more relaxed and not to expect them to be puntual or in a rush. Is this really true or is it exagerated? After living in Boston for two years will I be ready for a busy city or will Madrid be a calmer pace compared to what I'm used to?
I was also wondering if anyone could recommend what kinds of "American" gifts I can bring to give to Spanish friends and my host family? One idea I got from this forum was instant cookie and brownie mix. No chocolate chips in the whole country? Really?! I thought shot glasses and baseball hats might be cute too.
Any ideas?

#52687 - 07/12/02 04:07 PM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I think if you do a search on this board, you will get a thread on American gifts to take to Spain.
My family in Madrid never tires from bath products from Bath and Bodyworks (I know they have soap there, but the flavors here are many and there are a ton of inexpensive products), also a really good bottle of California wine. A table book of photos from your part of the country, and perhaps anything polo (Ralph Lauren) if you know their size. just a few suggestions. Have fun shopping!

#52688 - 07/12/02 07:20 PM Re: Semester in Spain: CultureShock?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Kaella, yeah there is a different "concept" of time here. I dont know if it is as major as people make it out to be, but it is without a doubt more relaxed...I love that! My host family here always jokes that plus or minus 15 minutes is normal:) Also, people stay up later, and eat later. Typical lunch at my house here starts around 3pm, and everybody my host siblings, parents come home for lunch. Dinner is around 10pm or 11pm, and I generally go to bed around 2 or 3am on week nights. On the weekends (like tonight wink .. it is 1am here now:))- my spanish friends and I leave to go out between 12 and 2, and generally do not come home until after 5am. FUN!!! Also, beware all the shops, except malls, close in general between 2-5.
I dont know Boston well, but Madrid is awesome, I have been there a couple of times (I am studying in Bilbao). Gifts for your future spanish friends... I brought my family stuff from my USA university, and yes, stuff for choc chip cookies!! It has been fun to introduce them to american things! :p Also...Bring a photo album with picture from home, people really seem to enjoy seeing them and hearing about my life in the USA. You also will enjoy using the pics to decortate your room and make yourself feel more at "home". laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments