Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52163 - 04/16/02 12:49 AM Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
LW Offline

Loc: USA
I have a neck injury that affects me using my right arm completely without pain, so driving a stick shift is really not on my wish list, so would anyone know if buying a manual car(as Eddie & shula mentioned below,I meant Automatic) is hard to find in Spain??? I have people there that never even saw a manual(automatic wink ), so it kinda scares me frown
Thanks, LittleWing

#52164 - 04/16/02 06:07 AM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
LittleWing writes:
Quote:
... driving a stick shift is really not on my wish list, so would anyone know if buying a manuel car is hard to find in Spain??? I have people there that never even saw a manuel, so it kinda scares me
A manual transmission IS a 'stick shift.' eek I have seen cars equipped with Automatic Transmission (embrague automatico) in Spain. I don't know if SEAT manufactures any. The Cheapest you would probably find would be a Daewoo (Korean?). The U.S. is probably where most A/T cars are manufactured & sold. rolleyes

#52165 - 04/16/02 08:22 AM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
shula Offline

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
I think you mean Automatic Transmission?

#52166 - 04/16/02 09:16 AM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
LW Offline

OOOPPPPPSSSS!!!!
I made a mistake there eek ..and Yes, I meant Automatic transmission. Now I wish I could start this thread over again.....

#52167 - 04/16/02 10:56 AM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
LittleWing, you can edit your original posting's subject line yourself (as well as all of your other postings) by clicking on the Paper/Pen icon next to that first posting. (I could/can do it for you, but I'll let you practice on this one)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52168 - 04/16/02 12:34 PM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Manual transmission is the most commonly found in Spain, though automatic transmission is not unheard of.

Take in mind that one of the main reasons for not having automatic transmissions is that our country is very mountaineous, the terrain is very irregular and we don't really have roads as plain and straight as in the US. And having a manual transmission is quite funny smile

Fernando

#52169 - 04/16/02 04:00 PM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
While by far the most common shift here is the standard shift. You can find vehicles with automatic transmission. I don´t know about new vehicles (but I imagine they can be ordered), but I have seen many ads over the past year for automatic transmission cars in Segundamano.

Apart for the terrain, as Fernando mentioned above, standard shift cars (manual transmission) are more popular for the fuel economy. Fuel here is considerably more expensive than in the States, driving standard shift vehicles economizes the consumption of fuel.

#52170 - 04/26/02 11:42 AM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
I bought a car with automatic transmission in Spain three years ago. Back then you had to order the car so equipped for extra $$ over a std. transmission. Delivery was promised in 8 to 12 weeks with the possibility the wait could be even longer if ordered at the beginning of summer (because of model year changes & factory vacation shutdowns).
Two models I was looking at were the Opel Astra & the Renault Megane.
By pure chance a nearby Opel dealership had an automatic 4 door Astra available which was being used by a salesman (supposedly the original buyer, who had ordered the car, backed out at the last minute!). So after all too familiar negotiations,I bought it! Made in Germany using a US manufactured transmission.
It resembles a VW Passat & I get 31 mpg on the open highway.

#52171 - 04/26/02 09:51 PM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
LW Offline

Thanks JDR!!! I will definitely save this information! ahhh...one more question, how MUCH more did you have to pay for a automatic transmission car??? or do I really want to know eek ???

#52172 - 04/27/02 11:23 AM Re: Automatic / Manual transmission(stick shift) cars
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
The market for automatic cars is quite wider now compared to what it was just 4 years ago. If we are talking about new cars to buy, in almost all categories you'll find an automatic version. Obviously, they'll be less efficient in mileage and performance but the new "intelligent" gearshifts are pretty advanced, and automatic shifts are well suited for advanced diesels.

- small , citroen Saxo, peugeot 206, renault clio, WV Polo,...

- Medium, Citroen Xsara, Megane, Golf,.....
The higher you go the easier it becomes to find more and more choices for automatics.

Don't worry you will have plenty of choices to buy new auto cars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments