Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52037 - 02/17/02 11:03 PM Festival in Tui ?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
In one (of the many) guidebooks/brochures that I've read about Galicia it mentions a festival held the 2nd Monday after Easter. However, I haven't been able to confirm this or get details on the festival.

I know this is a rather specific and obscure question, but can anyone confirm that there is a festival and if so, what kind?

I could easily arrange to be there on this day as I'm planning a trip to this area at that time. wink

#52038 - 02/18/02 05:52 AM Re: Festival in Tui ?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I looked in my Baedeker's Portugal guidebook to see if anything was happening in Valença do Minho (across the river from Tui) around that time: nothing! confused

Because Tui is in the center of a wine producing region (Ribeiro, Albariño, etc.) I would guess that any Spring festival there has something to do with those wines ... rolleyes

#52039 - 02/18/02 03:28 PM Re: Festival in Tui ?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Thanks again, Eddie. I'll email the Spanish Tourism office once I (re)find the pamphlet that told me about the holiday. wink

#52040 - 02/18/02 09:18 PM Re: Festival in Tui ?
VigoBoy Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Cathy,

If you want I can see what may or may not be up. My fiance is from Vigo which is just north of there. In Jan. I was in Tui with her on our way to Oporto. She would probably know as she is from the region and her dad used to live very close.

Wibb

#52041 - 02/19/02 12:37 PM Re: Festival in Tui ?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

VigoBoy-

I found the name of the festival in the book that I had read. It states that the Festival de San Telmo is held the 2nd Monday after Easter.

It would be great if you could confirm this with your girlfriend. I'll do some additional research too and be sure to post if I find out anything. smile

#52042 - 02/19/02 08:47 PM Re: Festival in Tui ?
VigoBoy Offline

Ok. She said that el festival de San Telmo is supposed to be pretty big. She hasn't been before but that is what she has heard. Of course, I have yet to go to a "bad" festival in Spain. Tui is kinda nice too if you haven't been. They have a pretty cool iglesia at the top of the hill the town is built on. Tui isn't too big though. You will be just across the border from Portugal though and the shopping down there is really cheap.

#52043 - 02/19/02 09:03 PM Re: Festival in Tui ?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Vigo Boy -
Can she confirm the date this year? Thanks so much for all your help. smile

#52044 - 02/19/02 09:18 PM Re: Festival in Tui ?
VigoBoy Offline

I will check. I just wrote an email to the Parador(nice hotel) in Tui as well so they should know for sure.

This is from the website - http://www.parador.es/castellano/85clicks/tui1/tui1entesp.htm

Participa en las fiestas de Tui. Lo tienes muy fácil. Sólo tienes que acudir en febrero al Carnaval, luego en Semana Santa a celebrar San Telmo el Domingo de Pascua o en agosto a participar en el Descenso Internacional del Miño en piragua.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#52045 - 02/20/02 09:31 AM Re: Festival in Tui ?
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello.

I've been looking for any information about the fiesta in Tui but I haven't see anything about San Telmo. I've just found information about a fiesta on the sunday next to Eastern and it's called "the baby eel fiesta".

Here you are the link (I'm sorry but is in Spanish): Baby Eel Fiesta

And all kind of fiesta in Las Rias Bajas is here: All Rias Bajas Fiestas

Two years ago I was in Cambados in "La Fiesta del Albariño":
See you! Albariño
There was loads of stands selling Albariño and octopus :p

Bye!

#52046 - 02/20/02 09:44 AM Re: Festival in Tui ?
VigoBoy Offline

Check this out. Excellent response from the Parador staff in Tui.

Estimado Sr. Enos,
Le informamos de que el día de San Telmo (día del Patrón de la Ciudad) es el 8 de Abril, aunque las fiestas probablemente ya empezarán la semana anterior, hacia el 28 de marzo.
La fiesta de la angula será el día 7 de abril, día en la cual podrá degustar las angulas en la carpa que se monta en la calle. Las noches suelen estar amenizadas con orquestas, también en el centro del pueblo.

Si necesita alguna otra información, no dude en ponerse en contacto con nosotros.

Atentamente,
Minia Sánchez
Dpto. de Recepción

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments