Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51786 - 12/11/01 06:35 AM "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
I thought I'd just throw this subject out on the board. I have been entranced by these "historic" black bulls one finds while driving Spain. Probably the clasiest of the world's billboards!

Anyone care to share the history and controversy of these signs (I believe erected for a Spanish alcohol company?)...

They seem to now be "culture" icons!

#51787 - 12/11/01 06:54 AM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
Felix Offline

Loc: madrid
JJP, you are right; the black bulls on our roads have become a kind of culture icons. They were announcements of an Spanish brandy company (Osborne) and they have been in our roads for around 50 years.

In 1988 a law was approved forbidding the announcements placed on our roads; this was made in order to avoid distractions while driving. When this law was approved, Osborne argued that the bull was more that an advertising saying that was an artistic expression of Sanish culture and that it was a part of our landscape.

Finally, a judgment of the Supreme Court gave those bulls the category of not advertising emblem and for these reason they are still present on our roads.

#51788 - 12/11/01 07:29 AM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
The story of 'los toros' is a curious one indeed!!!
This is what I know.
They must have been put up in the sixties(or even the fifties), because I'm about to turn 31 and I've seen them all my life. They were ads for Osborne a brand of 'jerez' basically, I think. So the used to have Osborne written across the bulls in big red letters if I remember it well.
About 10 years ago or so, I don't know this exactly 'cause time flies! Osborne was about to remove them; but when the public opinion found out about it, everybody asked that they didn't do it!, we are all so accustomed to see them as part of the landscape, and they are something so unique!; so after some controversy, Osborne reached an agreement with the government I guess, and we kept "our bulls" without any comercial brand attached to them.
So yes, after that they became some sort of symbol even more than before, and now there are all kinds of gifts, and decorative items with a "bull motive".

And they are useful too, because in the past, present and future, Spanish children have been/are/will be entertained by spotting the next 'toro' when traveling by car throughout the Spanish roads.

pim

P.S.: these toros play quite a part in the movie "Jamon, jamon", starring a young Penelope Cruz. smile

#51789 - 12/11/01 07:47 AM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I thought this topic sounded familiar. wink You'll find the previous threads in this forum entitled " Roadside Bull Signs " & " The Big Bulls " informative about the Osborne Sherry Bulls .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51790 - 12/11/01 12:30 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
One of my daughter's little treasures from Spain is the replica of the simple black bull on a 4"sq bumper sticker. Just enough to evoke the fond memories of cruising the countryside. I love following her old Jetta!

#51791 - 12/11/01 01:46 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
That decision to ban advertisements on the roads was brilliant. I was so struck by their conspicuous absence when I drove around Spain. It may have been done to avoid distraction, but it was incredibly respectful for the environment. smile

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#51792 - 12/11/01 01:58 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

According to their website, the bulls saw the light of day along Spain's highways in 1957. As shown in my above post, you can find this and more info (only in Spanish) on the Osborne Sherry website .

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51793 - 12/11/01 03:18 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
JJP Offline

Madrid Man, I should get better at the search function. (Thanks for the links to previous threads) I have my profile set to thity days and thought this subject hadn't been covered. I'll be a little more diligent in the future wink

But, for those others that don't use the search function well (ha - like me), I think it was worthwhile they got an introduction to these "Spanish monoliths."

Thanks everyone for the information!

#51794 - 12/11/01 08:20 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
JJP Offline

Felix,

Thanks for the info. I find it interesting (I applaud it!) the amount of emphasis with the priorities of driving in Spain.

From an American perspect, where highways are littered everywhere with ugly metal monoliths to advertise everything, it strikes me how unique Spain is in preventing distractions while driving.

Your comment reminded me of an amusing sight while driving from Bilbao to Lekeitio last August. On the winding roads into the fishing town, you'd witness drivers in cars who had pulled OFF the road to talk on their cell phone. I was shocked! You know, we Americans like to gab and gab on the phone wile going 80 MPH (I'm guilty of this too frown ).

My Basque friend told me that was not just a responsible use of the car-phone, but it was in fact against the law to drive AND talk on a mobile phone.

So maybe this post should also be a warning to us Americans who rent cars AND cell phones while on vacation in Spain. Don't talk and drive unless you want to experience the law... wink

#51795 - 12/11/01 08:36 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The first time I saw a black bull was back in 1990 on the road to Fuengirola, it is still there. It always reminds me of Osbornes Veterano Brandy, my favourite tipple.
On the subject of cell phone use by drivers, it is also an offence here in the UK. You can be charged with "driving without due care and attention". A recent accident was caused by someone using their phone and many people lost their lives, the man has just been given a heavy prison sentence.

#51796 - 12/14/01 03:14 AM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
JJP Offline

PIM and all on the message board,

I went out a few days ago and rented "Jamon, jamon." What an incredible movie: intense, perverse, and classic. eek

You were right (!) the toro negros" feature prominantly in the movie. I find his movies to be rich on symbolism.

Anyone care to analyze when Diego slams the bull's balls off the billboard? What an intense and enjoyable movie.

Anyone know the general location of this movie confused - was it Anadalucia or closer to Madrid. I'm curious.

laugh

#51797 - 12/14/01 06:09 AM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

(General Location of "Jamon Jamon" was in Extremadura somewhere.

#51798 - 12/14/01 07:52 AM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hi Jason,

"Jamon, jamon" is not exactly my kind of movie to be honest ;); and I think it has too much symbolism, meaning it's more "caricaturesque" than anything else....But as far as I know, it was shot in a place called 'el desierto de los Monegros', in Aragon, near Zaragoza. Though some of the scenes(the ones related to the "jamones warehouses", ha, ha!) must have been shot in Extremadura.

#51799 - 12/19/01 06:41 PM Re: "BIG Black Bulls" along Spanish Roads
JJP Offline

Hi pim (and everyone),

Thanks for the info on J/J location. I can understand why "Jamon, jamon" is not in your "top - 10." If you look at the sexual currents going on between all those characters it's a little sickening. I thought the movie was excellent - I guess I'm just a little perverse and enjoy sex, violence, and dark family secrets. cool

What I forgot to also ask was about Spain's (people, but as a country) reaction to many of the "edgy" movies from your country. For example, in the U.S. any movie with a strong message gets a fair amount of noise from people it offends. For me, with all our "Hollywood" movies that are designed to maximize profit (which many times means: maximize blandness), I usually find edgy off-beat movies very refreshing.

What does Spain think of all these movies an average person here in the States might ironically consider gratuitous sex, homosexuality (drag queens in many of Almodóvar's), immorality, bla bla bla...?

What I find so wonderful about Spain is that the country holds on tightly to tradition, but seems to be very comfortable with the future, and progressive culture. What an excellent balance of "keep what's old, traditional, and good, but be open to adopt new modern views on society."

Is this true - or is my love for the country and the Toros Negros giving it too much credit???? Is my impression correct, or do you think most Spaniards are very conservative and the images in many of the movies Spain exports make them sick???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments