Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51647 - 10/23/01 04:34 AM The joy of Spain!
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
According to today's El Pais, a recent study of clinical depression in European countries (published in The British Journal of Psychiatry) shows that, of the countries, tested, Spain showed the lowest rate. The data were collected from 5 countries, UK, Ireland, Finland, Norway and Spain. The mean rate (I assume it be % of population tested who show the problem) was 8.5%, whereas in Spain it was only 2.6%

One of the Spanish investigators, asked to comment on the results, suggested that they may be due to "...structures of social support, such as the family, which are essential in cases where individuals face adverse circumstances of the sort that lead to the onset of depression. In Spain, these structures of social support are more prevalent than in other countries".

Also, the usual difference between men and women (women generally suffer more depression) was not clearly evident in the Spanish data (2.4% v. 2.7%), though it was present in the other countries.

So is having a Spanish family good for ones mental health?? Probably, but I'd also consider other factors such as, given the countries involved, the price of a glass of red wine!

!Salud!

#51648 - 10/23/01 06:22 AM Re: The joy of Spain!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
That's for sure El Boqueron!

I would be very depressed if I hadn't have access to a delightful glass of tinto, and probably too if I couldn't have some tapas with it, say boquerones en vinagre, patatitas fritas and so on smile

I think that the differences in the rates may well be an addition of factors: the weather, the social structures, the way of life (probably spaniards care less about everything), the food, ... I really don't know.

Fernando

#51649 - 10/23/01 08:57 AM Re: The joy of Spain!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
El Boqueron, did the article make any mention of the SAD ( seasonal affect disorder) syndrome as a possible factor in depression in the other countries?
SAD is a phenomenon that seems to afflict people in the far North who may be deprived of sunlight for months on end, producing depression. Here in the States the National Institute of Mental Health has studies that verify this phenomena. Of the countries you mentioned Spain seemed to be the only one enjoying more sunshine than the rest. I wonder if the same holds true of Italy?

#51650 - 10/23/01 09:15 AM Re: The joy of Spain!
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Quite right, Fernando. I don't see how anyone used to the bar de tapas could ever survive without it.

Now that the therapeutic value of a Spanish lifestyle has been proven beyond doubt, I plan to lobby the British government to implement the following policies. The cost would be easily recouped by the drop in the number of people needing expensive therapy and anti-depressants, missing work, attempting suicide and so on.

1. No tax on wine!
2. Tapas bars on every corner! laugh
3. Obligatory siesta!
4. Festivals at least once a month!

If after all that, anyone still gets depressed, they get flown to a sunny part of Spain for 2 weeks... come to think of it, the latter treatment is already "self-administered" by millions of northern Europeans every year!

Booklady - no, it didn't mention SAD. My guess would be that they "controlled" for it, i.e., only considered "non-seasonal" cases, as it's a very clear difference between the countries involved. But there was no explicit mentiion of it.

This is the article http://www.elpais.es/articulo.html?d_dat...nchor=elpepisoc

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: El Boqueron ]

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#51651 - 10/25/01 02:23 PM Re: The joy of Spain!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hahahahaha!!!!!

You really made me laugh El Boqueron laugh

I think that Booklady is right. The more sunshine you have, the less depressive you are. See, we are on 24th of October. Today we have had 18 Celsius, I have gone outside (to the College) wearing a t-shirt.

The food also helps a lot. I can barely think of leaving without several spanish recipes... Today I'm going to have a tortilla de patata for dinner smile

Siesta! What a wonderful invent we have. Specially on those days when it's sunny and you have eaten a lot...

Fernando

#51652 - 10/25/01 04:42 PM Re: The joy of Spain!
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
i also heard recently that "shift" work is also suspected to be detrimental to both physical and mental health and that highly industrialized areas are definately more at risk. Are there many factories in Spain running 24 hrs?

#51653 - 10/25/01 08:27 PM Re: The joy of Spain!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Not many much Karen. If haven't heard of any.

Yes, there are jobs that require to work at night, but they are the exception, not the rule.

It's nasty to work at night, isn't it?

Fernando

#51654 - 10/26/01 08:11 PM Re: The joy of Spain!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Booklady: Amen. My first peek at the five countries had me thinking of SAD too. I was in Finland in summer and the Finns were having as much fun as anyone. However, come winter, they have the highest suicide rate of any developed country. I'd like to see how Spain stacks up against say, Italy and France, adding in Andorra and Monaco for good measure...it would probably still get higher marks!!! smile

#51655 - 10/27/01 01:54 AM Re: The joy of Spain!
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Nasty is the word Fernando!I loved how people dressed up and went out at night in Spain even if it was only to take a stroll around the plaza.Definately good for the mind,body and soul.

#51656 - 10/27/01 10:46 AM Re: The joy of Spain!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
As a confirmed "all-things-Spanish and Spain lover", all the reasons given are valid - but, as one who lived in Hawaii for 20 years and somehow ended up in Boston - i.e., where the sun shines and there is daylight 365 days of the year (and it does rain in the Islands ;)) vs. where the sun shines about 183 days a year with an equal amount of daylight frown - SAD does really play a part!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments