Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#51138 - 06/07/01 02:21 PM Re: Smoking
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I just had to respond to MM, as I have now become a member I see!!! I couldnt' agree with you more. I always ask for a non smoking table myself. For some reason when visiting foreign countries, I don't feel the need to be judgemental and I want to see the culture the way the people live it, and try not impose my American ways. We Americans are very demanding, if we don't get our way, we sue. The rest of the world doesn't and it's a refreshing change for me.

#51139 - 06/07/01 04:23 PM Re: Smoking
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I tend to be bothered by smoke too, but I try my hardest not to let it interfere with my enjoyment of Spanish restaurants and bars. They are smoky, and I don't like having the smell of smoke in my hair and clothes (not to mention the horrid things it does to our lungs!), but I understand that it is inevitable.

I figure a couple of weeks of secondhand smoke is a small price to pay for the pleasures of Spain, and I have found a few ways to deal with it. During summer months, plan on sitting outside where that's offered...for me, it's worth the few extra pesetas to have better circulation. Take showers at night after being out in smoky places, and don't leave clothes you want to wear again in a heap on the floor--hang them up so that they can air out somewhat. Bring along eye drops, particularly if you wear contact lenses. We contact wearers are spoiled by clean-air American restaurants. My lenses get REALLY dry when there's smoke in the air. If you're cooped up in a smoky place for a while, step outside to get a little fresh air and clear the fog from your head. If you can make space in your luggage, pack your own pillow--some of the ones in hotels in Spain smell smoky too. And if you plan on getting intimately close to a smoker, share Altoids! smile wink

Above all, recognize (as others have said) that our American sense of entitlement to smoke-free air is NOT a worldwide view, and you'll only come across as boorish if you try to stare down or criticize a smoker. I dated a Spanish smoker while living in Salamanca, and although he knew full well that smoking was bad for him, he always said, "hay que morirse de algo." That seems to be the prevailing attitude, and you're not going to change it in a single visit!!

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: taravb ]

#51140 - 06/07/01 05:18 PM Re: Smoking
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Take along a bottle of Freebreeze and spray your clothes after being in a smokey restaurant - works wonders - and worth the extra weight in the suitcase wink

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#51141 - 06/07/01 07:58 PM Re: Smoking
Mari Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Hey Dewey,
I just got back from Spain on Monday. Let's say Phillip Morris will not be going out of business any time soon in Spain. We went to a dance club and had to wash our clothes because of the strong smoke odor. I also saw some people smoking in the non smoking designated areas of a restuarant. Your best bet is to eat in the out door cafes if it is not too hot. I guess if you no all this in advance you can prepare mentally. We had a great trip and we are non-smokers. Have a good trip smile

#51142 - 06/08/01 05:57 PM Re: Smoking
dewey Offline

Loc: albany, new york
Wow. Thanks to everyone from my wife. She will be prepared to be tolerant and enjoy despite her dislike. The febreeze suggestion is a great one and we will take you all up on that. When we were in Mexico a couple of years ago, the kids on the beach all asked us for cigarettes. Too bad to have another generation harmed, but clearly it was cool to smoke as it was when we were kids. My wife smoked for years, remembers the pleasure, but now the smell is hard to take. Thanks again for all the suggestions on how to get around this and for sure we will be carefull not to insult.

#51143 - 06/19/01 04:44 PM Re: Smoking
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Hi everyone,
Great Board! About the smoking, get over it! You are a guest in their country...so don't complain and if you don't like it leave. Anti-smoking in the U.S. has turned into fascism and it is really quite sad, considering how people eat here...how about taking on McDonald's? I have since quit smoking since going to Spain for four months last summer. That was the best time of my life. I have so many great memories to look back on. So go to spain, have a good time, and dont' complain. Thanks madridman for a great website

Brien

#51144 - 06/19/01 11:44 PM Re: Smoking
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hey Dewey-

I learned long ago to just 'go with the flow' with the smoking in Spain. It's EVERYWHERE! (As soon as you set foot in Barajas Airport you catch the smell!) Although it may be banned in public places, the last time I was there the man in the bank counting out my money had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth!!

I too am bothered by smoke, not necessarily by the smell, but I have bad sinuses and allergies. What I have learned to do is just get as much 'fresh' air as possible (3 of the 4 friends that I stay with smoke!) and to bring along a prescription of antibiotics since I always inevitably get a sinus infection while I'm there!!

As for the smell on your clothes, no one is going to notice it except you and maybe another American. Whenever I return from Spain, everything I brought with me has the 'Spain' smell as we call it now (Spanish-brand cigarette smell!) so the luggage gets emptied, clothes go in the wash, and the bags get hung & sprayed with Fabreeze as soon as I get home (no matter how tired I may be!)

And as someone else pointed out earlier, don't try the 'health conscious' spin with smoking if you're talking to a Spaniard, or any European. A friend of mine mentioned something about the health warnings on the cigarettes to some Italian friends of ours, and they just basically laughed in our faces. As with many other things, Americans are DEFINITELY more 'uptight' about smoking than other countries, whether that's good or bad...

These are just a couple of small compromises we have to make for having the pleasure of spending time in such a lovely, wonderful place!

Best of luck and have a great time!! smile

-GG

#51145 - 06/20/01 04:51 AM Re: Smoking
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Yup, I've been here over a year and it annoys the hell out of me, but I've never said a word about it. Part of the trade off I guess.

Interesting that in Spain smoking among men is declining steeply while among women it is increasing.

#51146 - 06/20/01 09:41 AM Re: Smoking
Brien Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Question....

Are Europeans dying of lung cancer as well? I'm thinking they must be but because of public health care they don't have to worry about it at all...madridman what do you think? Also, i have heard that the poor diets and stress of the U.S. is causing cancer rates to increase? Any thoughts?

#51147 - 06/20/01 10:14 AM Re: Smoking
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
The local guide we had for our tour of the Alhambra told me that Spain is trying to discourage smoking...as is the rest of the EU...but agrees with a previous post that the women are continuing to smoke while the men are starting to give it up. I have also read that the new cigarette packaging in Europe is to include photographs of diseased lungs and folks with holes in their necks in the hope of discouraging people. We discussed baby boomers in Spain and I asked if they had the same health concerns...including cancer...that we do. He said that basically, all of us boomers have similar thoughts on mortality, but pointed out that we only become financial burdens on our families if we go to a doctor and attempt to get treated! If we get sick and die, then we don't accrue huge medical bills! eek

For what it's worth, smoking is relative. I used to think that people in Spain and France smoked incessantly and I was bothered by every little wisp of smoke that came my way. I spent some time in Kosovo in April and let me tell you...THEY SMOKE!!! There were non-smoking areas in Spain! In Kosovo I often had trouble just walking into a restaurant because the smoke was so thick I couldn't see a foot in front of me! There are no restrictions on smoking ANYWHERE. Teachers and students smoke in class, shoppers smoke freely in stores...even stores you might consider risky to smoke in, like book stores! I had to leave my suitcases outside for a week to air them out! As I said, it is really all relative! Smoking bothers me, but it is not as bad in Spain as it COULD be!

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: la maestra ]

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: la maestra ]

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 810 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments