Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#51067 - 05/15/01 02:10 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Theory says that redheads are genetically more common in the northwestern (Galicia, Asturias) areas due to the strong celtic inmmigration in the Iron Age. There are still celtic stone momuments in those areas.

#51068 - 05/15/01 02:51 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
azboarder Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Kim- I will be in Madrid May 20-23. Then I plan on spending the 23 in Toledo and plan on going to Sevilla after that. Email me if you'd really like to meet up at some point, as I will be travelling alone and would love to meet new people! Que te vaya bien!

Aaron goeglein@hotmail.com

#51069 - 05/16/01 01:13 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Expressdance:

I have the same problem. I am 5'10.5 and I love to wear platform shoes... and yes, whenever I go overseas (especially europe) they all stare. I think I tower over the majority of the people. but that's okay...i love the attention roses. wink

#51070 - 05/17/01 08:42 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Are there redheds in Spain? There is everything in Spain. One of my first impressions on my first visit long ago was that so many Spaniards did not resemble the movie version stereotypes. Physically, they are a very diverse people.

Still, there do seem to be some people who remain characteristically Spanish. After you examine the Goya frescos on the interior of the dome of The Church of San Antonio de la Florida, look about you in the blue collar bars. You will see some of the same faces.
Cantabene

[ 05-17-2001: Message edited by: cantabene ]

#51071 - 05/22/01 04:35 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Pelirrojos (check your dictionary...) are definitely in more abundant "supply in Galicia and Asturias. Of course, they're outnumbered by pelirrubios, but as correctly commented prior, the Celtic influence in this area is strongest, and still remains so.

Spain and the U.S. seem to have that in common: The further south you travel, the more "moreno" people tend to be (with exceptions of course). The rubios only like to vacation to the south (see Arizona, California and the Costa del Sol :cool smile. I grew up in Minnesota and wondered why the Swedes and Danes would settle there...until I went to Sweden and Denmark...spitting image as far as countryside.

I'm certain that's why the Celts stayed so long in Spain, and why their influence still remains: They settled a region not unlike their own.

#51072 - 06/16/02 07:52 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
ERT Offline

I also love redheads.

I´ve seen a good number of natural redheads in certain parts of Castilla y Leon. In the neighbourhood where I have seen 7 or 8 natural redheads that don´t differenciate at all with any Irish redheads (orange hair, even in the eyebrows, and most of them with green eyes, and 1 or 2 with blue eyes or brown eyes).
I know they are Spaniards because some of them study with me at college.

Here there are some Spaniard redheads if you like them:

http://www.antena3tv.com/companeros/camerinos/index.htm?14 Amanda García
http://www.antena3tv.com/companeros/camerinos/index.htm?4 Julián González
http://www.antena3tv.com/companeros/camerinos/index.htm?11 Alejandro Siguenza

#51073 - 06/17/02 08:31 AM Re: Redheads in Spain?
El Cid d'España Offline

Speaking of "pelirrojos y pelirrojas", wasn't Isabella La Católica a redhead?

PS: My great-grandmother was a redhead. cool

#51074 - 06/17/02 10:11 AM Re: Redheads in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Nobody's mentioned the "chemically-enhanced" shades of red you often see in Spain...my husband and saw SO MANY older ladies with deep (and unnatural) red hair while in Spain last year. Mulberry, black cherry, oxblood, those sorts of "reds"!

I've seen very few people in Spain with natural red hair...but lots of people with brown hair, green eyes, and freckles, like me!

#51075 - 06/17/02 02:15 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

el cid

yes isabella la muy catolica is a redhead.but she wasnt really a spaniard... well she was...but her close linage was purely visigothic.the redheads and blonds in spain means that they have pure or semi pure visgothic or celtic origin and of course no moorish or even sometimes no roman blood.notice how many redhead and lightskinned people are in the margateria region in leon around astorga and palazuelo del orbigo.they dont have no roman admixture just like the basques but alot of celtic blood.ive seen blonds in galicia asturias ,leon and even a few in alcala de henares.i am not blond though but am a light skinned cuban galician young man.

#51076 - 06/17/02 04:17 PM Re: Redheads in Spain?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I'm glad someone finally brought up the 'chemically enhanced' redheads that are quite abundant there. They are easily distinguished from 'true' redheads. The older women, especially, like to die their hair a very deep, dark red, which may even be considered 'marroon'. I went to see a play that a friend of mine who is a middle school Spanish teacher helped put on. Rumor had it the Basque grandparents of one of the students would be there. As soon as they set foot in the door, I nudged the person next to me and exclaimed "THERE THEY ARE!". They were so cute, he in his Spanish old man-type outfit (you all know what I mean) and she with her dark red hair!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments