Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51042 - 04/18/01 02:04 PM currency
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I'm a little confused as is my bank here in Chicago. 425.200 pesetas - this turns out to be about $2.30 in US dollars. Do the Spanish use decimal points instead of commas in their denominations? Should it be 425,000 pesetas? My bank was about to wire $2.30 (with a 40$ surcharge) to Spain until they called me to confirm it. I'm sure it's supposed to be about 2300$ I didn't think stuff in Spain was so cheap! eek

#51043 - 04/18/01 02:18 PM Re: currency
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[in my best Ed McMahon voice....] "You are CORRECT, sir!"

Currency in Spain does not use the comma ",", but rather the decimal point as the same. So 1.000 pesetas is not one (and zero one-thousandths) peseta, but rather one thousand pesetas.

And while you're at it, please wire the same amount (the larger of the two, of course) to my SWISS bank account. hehehe.. wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51044 - 04/19/01 04:57 PM Re: currency
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
As MM pointed out, the decimal and the comma are juxtaposed (when compared to the U.S. method), hence:

2,500.50 pesetas in a U.S. bank would be written 2.500,50 in Spain. (of course no one really uses céntimos anymore! smile[the ,50 pta.])

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments