Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5094 - 01/26/03 11:10 PM Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
NatalieM Offline

Has anyone stayed at or visited paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia ? We're looking for neat places to stay while making our way by car from Merida to Avila and Segovia. Thanks!

#5095 - 01/28/03 11:53 AM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Natalie, while I can't comment on those two paradores, I can recommend a very nice place to stay outside of Trujillo-- Hotel Rural Viña las Torres . You can e-mail J.P. (in English if you'd like) at info@vinalastorres.com. A young couple run a Bed and Breakfast type establishment in the countryside with Trujillo sitting on the hilltop in the distance (only a few miles). From there, you can be in Trujillo in a few minutes, and visit both Guadalupe and Caceres as easy day trips. Caceres is particularly intriguing on a Sunday when the "out of towners" come into the "big" city. It's a gorgeous place--one monumental building after another, many plazas, restaurants/shops on the main plaza, etc. I highly recommend staying at J.P's (we liked the quarters in the separate building across the courtyard with the view of pastureland (horses grazing) across the rarely used dirt road.

#5096 - 01/30/03 12:08 AM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
NatalieM Offline

Thanks for the info, Carole, as well as your response to my other post. Now I'm wondering if it would be realistic to spend a couple nights in the Trujillo area, and drive to Merida see the Roman sites there. We were thinking of staying in Merida, but Caceres & Trujillo look (& sound) more charming. Any input?

#5097 - 01/31/03 06:12 PM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
I would spend two nights in rural hotel in Trujillo and to do slow trip to Guadalupe and other day to go Merida (morning) and Caceres in the night. Winter is a good in that area.
ABP

#5098 - 01/31/03 07:01 PM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Natalie, I can't speak about Merida as I have never been there. But Trujillo is truly charming (on a small scale) and Caceres is quite regal (on a grander scale). The Monastery of Guadalupe is extremely impressive although I had to slow the pace of our guide's tour. I like to really "see" things. It is so worth the trip, an easy drive from the hostal near Trujillo.--CC

#5099 - 02/10/03 05:57 PM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
Lynn Anderson Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
Natalie
Don't know whether I've come across your message too late - but here goes!
I've stayed in the Paradors at Trujillo, Mérida and Placencia and I've stayed in Caceres(but not at the Parador). You will love Mérida and I can thoroughly recommend the Parador in Placencia, it only opened in 2000 and the restoration work is excellent. Caceres is the "buzz" town in that area it's much livlier at night - so it sort of depends what you're looking for from your stay.

Rather than the main route, there's a road from Caceres to Placencia through a national park. If you've got the time,the scenery is magnificent, the route gives you the opportunity to see black pigs grazing before they become jamón iberico! There's also an opportunity to see lots of birds of prey on clear days, in short its a great alternative route between the two towns.

Hope this helps

regards

Lynn Anderson
Liverpool
England

#5100 - 02/10/03 09:12 PM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
NatalieM Offline

Thank you for your input! Our current itinerary and lodging choices are: 1 week in Costa de Sol area doing day trips to the Alhambra, Ronda, etc.; 2 nts. Sevilla at Hostal Atenas; 2 nts. Merida at the Parador; 2 nts. Toledo at Hotel Santa Isabel; 1 nt. Segovia at Los Linajes; 2 nts. Madrid at Hostal Persal. We wanted to see as much as possible without being too rushed, and intersperse modest priced lodging with splurges. Any comments, concerns, ideas re. this itinerary and choice of lodging? As a Spain first timer, all input is appreciated!

#5101 - 02/11/03 09:09 AM Re: Paradors in Jarandilla de La Vera or Plasencia?
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
I'd change as follow :
Merida (1 night ) , Caceres (1 night)
Salamanca (1 night) and Toledo 1 night
You can do by the "Via de la Plata".
The rest of nights in your schedule is very
good.
ABP

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments