Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#50972 - 04/06/01 09:24 PM Generalization...
Venire Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI US
How would you compare the style of the French to that of the Spanish? Do the Spanish have the tres chic style like the french? What generalizations would y'all make about western European clothing, style? (I've read the posts- saying that the Spanish wear tighter clothing (as compared to American's)).
Do lots of people wear stiletos? (I don't know exactly what's average - www.vouge.es is spanish vouge and it might not be a good cross section :))
Is it true that the Spanish are generally slimmer than Americans?
I know i'm making a lot of generalizations here none of it is meant to be offensive or whatever. I'm very interested in the contrasts of the style / fashion type.

Gracias everyone

#50973 - 04/07/01 01:38 AM Re: Generalization...
celeste Offline

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Hi, I just got back from Madrid, and here are some observations for you:

1) Yes, In Madrid, women's pants are tighter on the bum. Suprisingly so sometimes. The pants may be baggy everywhere else except the bum, the pattern must be special for Spain? Also curious, some women are very thin everywhere and yet still have enourmous backside. The pants are hot!

2)Women's club-wear: techno color graphic knit shirts are popular at the markets. But it seems that in the clubs, the actual natives are very plain, docile colors, black, navy, khaki. Almost like J. Crew ad.

3) There seemed an emphasis to fit-in and be trendy. When my friend and I walked around Sol - someone called us "Fashion-istas". Only because we are East Coast artists that shop second hand, no mateer how hard we try we won't fit in.

4) The same conservative feeling for club dancing, often women in circle with their other friends (sometimes male & female - I saw mostly same sex groups - and lots of couples) My friend and I really stood out for dancing "too wild" - where we were (NO SE DIGAS NADA A NADIE, c/Leon) the accepted fahion was to be with friends in a circle , swivel the hips,drink the drink and laugh.

5) Our fault for hangin in Sol, we like BigBambu in Checua better, but we also like Club Oui in c/Cervantes 7. Also check out Cervantes Pizza, on same street, good food! I still dream about it.

6)The best native fashion I saw was on the Metro.

Suerte,

Sonja

#50974 - 04/07/01 02:32 PM Re: Generalization...
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
Careful ladies, you're going to get MM all worked up again, picturing Spanish women in tight pants and short skirts... :p
In my humble opinion, it seems that young Spanish men and women dress more to be attractive to each other than Americans (women especially), who seem to dress more for "fashion". It might also be that, in my experience, European men are more tuned into women's fashion than Americans and are more impressed by a well-dressed, "in style" woman. Most American men care nothing about "style" - in or out.
As for French vs Spanish - the clothing and style is similar, I think, but the Spanish women have a different attitude and walk ( and they seem to be generally taller!)that make them look different - and they're more animated. French women past the age of 20 seem to adopt a more reserved and blase (that IS a French word, after all) demeanor.
The group thing is something that most Americans are surprised by but it's really very Spanish. Someone more eloquent and knowledgeable (where are you rgf? Antonio?)might like to try and explain the Spanish mindset regarding male/female dating rituals but I can't handle it without a LOT more caffeine...
Anyway, what it all boils down to is that Spaniards are MUCH more fun to party with than the French - and they always look good!

#50975 - 04/07/01 06:18 PM Re: Generalization...
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Young Spanish women, on average, are definitely skinnier than Americans. This is true to the point that the "in" stores -- Zara, Stradivarius, Mango -- do not carry above about an American 8 or 10. In addition the clothes are cut differently (perhaps to make up for the large butts, celeste?) so even if they technically have your size it might not fit right.

#50976 - 04/08/01 09:20 AM Re: Generalization...
Venire Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI US
Gracias a todos para (or is it por?) la informacion! Es muy interesante. smile

#50977 - 04/08/01 10:59 AM Re: Generalization...
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I wouldn't try to compare Spanish ladies with French ladies in terms of style or style-consciousness: Spain has its own fashions - often much nicer than 'current' French fashions. Let's just say that most Madrileñas (ages early 20's to early 60's) dress very fashionably. That's why it's so much fun for me to sit at a Terraza on Madrid's c/ Serrano and watch the scenery go by.
Anecdote:
Years ago, French 'working girls' all wore red, high-heeled pumps, so the local police would recognize them for what they were (leave them be). American tourists (ladies) would see these attractive, fashionably-dressed young women 'strutting their stuff' along the Champs Elysees or Place Blanche and would immediately think that red, high-heeled pumps were the 'in' thing in French fashions. They would buy red shoes and then wonder why the Italian men 'pinched their butts' the next stop on their 'package' tour. Beware that sort of 'fashion' faux pas.
BTW
Parisienne 'working girls' take very good care of their bodies and keep themselves meticulously clean, often spending considerable time 'working out' at health clubs or gyms. How do I know so much about the habits of Parisienne 'working girls?' Let's just say I read it in a book somewhere

And then there's the differences one finds between Spanish ladies from the north (Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, etc.) and those from Andalucia. They tend to have different 'builds,' so the clothes they wear will be those fashions that conform with their 'body structure.' Madrid, of course, is a 'melting pot' where one sees all the different styles. cool

[ 04-10-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#50978 - 04/08/01 02:04 PM Re: Generalization...
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I did notice a huge difference between the women in Andalucia and up north. The women seemed more voluptuous, in general. there were brighter colors, etc.

I see french style and spanish style as totally different and happen to love both, although both have a tendency to wear more dark colors that I choose to. Spanish cothing is more tailored. French women to me have a very natural elegance - very little make up, hair tucked up almost hapharzardly and a scarf thrown around their shoulders- and they look beautiful.

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

#50979 - 04/09/01 11:35 AM Re: Generalization...
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Since the title of this thread is "generalization" I have a few:

1) I would NEVER compare the Spanish with the French. To me the only thing they have in common is the Pyrenees. I find the French rude, arrogant and generally unfriendly towards me (embodiment of the American tourist). This was after I tried desperately to communicate in what little French I know. Hotel personnel treated us with disrespect mad, and the only time I thought we had truly struck up a friendship with anyone French was with the policemen after we foiled a train heist in Marseilles. I know that many Americans point to WWII and say that France has "forgotten what we did for them". Personally, I don't feel entitled to any special treatment, but I do feel I deserve to be at least treated like a human being, rather than a commodity. IN CONTRAST, wherever I've gone in Spain, and with whomever I've come in contact, I've been treated, to say the least, like a human...and in 99% of the cases like a friend. No matter where I've gone, people have gone out of their way to ensure that I'm enjoying what they or their little slice of Hispania has to offer. Oddly enough, I speak as little German as I do French and was treated similarly in Germany smile as I have been in Spain. Apparently language ability has little to do with treatment... confused

2) As far as fashion goes, I never quite understood why Paris is some sort of fashion mecca. (Maybe I'M clueless about fashion???) I think that just like in any other western country you're going to find those who have fashion sense, and those who don't (see old American men in plaid shorts, Hawaiian shirts and straw hats).

What I can't get over is the apparent aversion to showering on a daily basis. This is most apparent when taking the metro home at mediodía in either Madrid or Paris. I've noticed that the "older" crowd seems to struggle more than the youth. Perhaps it comes from being a generation that has known want and therefore has had to conserve...(I remember my landlady asking me and my fellow students why we were showering "again" after playing basketball, since we'd already showered that morning!) It's no secret that today's French and Spanish youth have it comparatively good.

I must say though, nothing makes me change my mind over whether a particular man or woman is handsome and/or beautiful faster than a good whiff of B.O. poorly masked by a couple of stokes of "Fa" under the arm. eek (Before anyone goes nuts...I'm well aware that we Americans can be a stinky lot as well...we just spend less time on public transport, so it isn't as noticeable I guess...)

Well, I'm not sure how I started with attitudes and ended with aromas...sorry. smile
I think the main thing to remember when looking at opinions like mine is to take them with a grain of salt, all the while realizing that generalizations by nature are dangerous, no matter how truthful they may be. It's best to experience another culture personally and then draw your OWN conclusions.

#50980 - 04/09/01 03:41 PM Re: Generalization...
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
CaliBasco, up until 1999 I would have said exactly the same thing about the French. Amazingly, the people I ran into were tolerant and patient with my fractured French and (even more amazing) would speak English if it became apparent that I was way out of my linguistic range. I had store people smile at me and ask if I wanted gift wrapping for gifts. I came back with a complete change of attitude! I always figured DeGaulle was to blame for the anti-American sentiment...who knows? Anyway, I no longer grumble about having to visit France! smile

#50981 - 04/09/01 03:42 PM Re: Generalization...
carolina Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY
Well, I can't speak for the French, but what I noticed especially in Madrid was the lack of colors on clothing. I know that many people have posted about that on here, but it is pretty amazing to see for yourself. When I was on the Metro looking around the car waiting for my stop I could really check people out. Needless to say I was the only one wearing a light blue shirt. Everyone else was wearing blacks, browns, dark blues, and greys. No doubt they could tell that I was a foreigner. Although, in a world full of drab colors, how could a person know if he/she was color blind or not? wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments