Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#50931 - 06/04/01 05:53 PM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
No tests...no sign ups, just enthusiasm.

Some pointers for would-be runners:

1) When you're down, STAY DOWN. Most idiotic injuries happen when someone tries to get up and then takes it in the tush.

2) Always carry your rolled-up newspaper with you. I don't know why, but take it from a veteran, there's a strange security in knowing that if you need it, you can beat a 600 kg. animal with the daily.

3) If you're in trouble: BAIL OUT...run to the side, jump the "valla", grab a flagpole. Don't try to be a hero. Remember the sign in the pasture: "If you're planning to cross this field, you should be able to do so in 9.6 seconds. The bull can do it in 9.9.

4) Walk the course the day before (for first-timers). Know the angles, corners, uphill grade, etc. Nothing wakes you up in the morning like trying to turn Estafeta with 100 of your closest corredores, and sliding on the dewy wet cobblestones. (Actually, the bulls do it, too, which buys you time.

5) Pick a tramo, or segment. You can't do it all (see the pasture quote above). When I ran, I got lucky. We started about half-way through and were able to finish in the ring. The runs normally take about 2m 30s to 3 minutes. That day (July 8, 1992...) it took about 8 minutes. It was labeled "un encierro sucio". MTV happened to be filming that day too...the host got scraped by a loose bull. Nice.

6) Don't spend your time looking back for the animals. Most people get tripped because they focus on one direction: backwards. In reality, you're in more danger of being tripped by a slower-moving person in front than by a faster-moving bull from behind.

7) DON'T START TOO EARLY. The ayuntamiento likes to fire off the first rocket a little early to clear the streets of the "wannabees". They all take off like collective bats out of hell, and then when the bulls are really let out, 85% of the crowd is already in the bullring. You'll hear two more rockets: #2 when the animals are let out, and #3 when they're all clear of the corrales at the bottom of the hill below the ayuntamiento. Start looking after rocket #2...about 8:03 a.m.

8) FIND THE BALD MAN. There is a guy there that is like the Michael Jordan of encierros. He is the best runner, and knows exactly what to do whenever. If Correo Español posts San Fermín pics this year, you'll most likely see him in the thick of it EVERY DAY. He's been doing it for years, is an expert, and I only recognize him as "El Calvo". I'll try to find a picture of him, but you'll recognize him when you see him. He's AWESOME.

9) Tell all upon your return. smile

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#50932 - 06/05/01 10:21 AM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Oh, I was just curious, there is NO WAY that I'd run the bulls. We have a commercial here where instead of running the bulls they run squirrels, I could do that laugh

#50933 - 06/05/01 11:19 AM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Luces de Bohemia, where is "here" for you? It doesn't say in your profile .

Someone asked me once if I'd ever run with the bulls and I said something like, "No. So many people run now that they run more with each other than with the bulls themselves." The person then asked, "WHAT?! You mean the ONLY reason you wouldn't run is because of the HUMAN population at the festival??! confused "

It does look terribly exciting though, at least for those who are near "the action". Aaahh.. Maybe I'm too old to stay up all day/night and drink 'til I'm stupid (more than usual, that is). wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50934 - 06/05/01 12:46 PM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I'm with you MadridMan.

Unless that beef comes to me on a plate, I ain't interested in it. Not because I don't think the people who do it are brave, but my guess is that more than a few of them might have problems getting their elevators to run to the top floor rolleyes

Of course I don't mean that for CaliBasco, or any others in our illustrious group, because we already know ours don't reach that floor anyway. But that's a matter for psychiatrists & psychologists to ponder, over a cappucino and a re-run of Frazier.

Wolf (No longer in need of psycho-therapy, I think)

#50935 - 06/05/01 01:30 PM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
Wolf - I just love your posts!! Missed you while you were gone, looking forward to more. laugh Pookita

#50936 - 06/05/01 04:46 PM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

There are only two types of people who need psychiatric help eek: Those who post on this board (like me) and those who summer in Wisconsin (like Wolf). Don't fool yourself, Wolfie...you need TWICE the help that the rest of us locos need!!!! laugh

Those who run the bulls in Pamplona (like me) are BEYOND any help that a psychiatric evaluation could provide.

-Cali "Longing for a Summer in Minnesota" Basco smile

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#50937 - 06/05/01 05:11 PM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Madridman, I didn't post my location because I don't have one eek I am from Venezuela, my parents are from Spain, I am an American citizen but I spend half of the year between Venezuela and Spain. So today I am writing from USA but tomorrow I might be writing from Tucaca (Venezuela), Madrid or God knows where.

#50938 - 07/06/01 10:29 AM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Well, right about now the people are gathered in the Plaza del Ayuntamiento in Pamplona, surging and swaying, wearing red and white, as the alcalde lights off the chupinazo to signal the beginning of one of the greatest (if not the most original and well-attended) fiestas in the world, and certainly the best in Spain.

I can see the mass of humanity undulating to and fro as water, wine and sidra are poured down upon them from the pisos surrounding the plaza...boy it sucks to be a work today!

To all those who are planning a trip to Iruña this year I wish you well and hope you enjoy the most amazing festival around!

¡Gora San Fermín!

#50939 - 07/06/01 04:39 PM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There's a silly/cute FLASH "game" on the www.El-Mundo.es (Madrid/Spain Newspaper's (online edition)) website dedicated to San Fermín. The game's title is: "San Fermín 2001: Politically Incorrect". laugh

By using your keyboard's arrow keys, you have to dodge the oncoming bulls and as they run alongside, hit your SPACE bar to SCHMACK the bulls with your rolled up newspaper. CLICK HERE to play.

Hope they show it on ESPN2 this year. I know there are websites out there, as there have been in previous years, which show video daily of the runnings. I'll have to look through the links in the above posts.

¡Viva San Fermín! Saludos, MadridMan

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50940 - 07/07/01 03:34 AM Re: San Fermín:Running of the bulls (Pamplona)
Chip Offline

I board a bus for Madrid in two hours, then on to Pamplona by train. Yes, I am beyond Psychiatric help as I plan to run for my fourth time. Will lift a glass of Pacharan for you MadridMan, Wolf and CaliBasco and everyone else who can´t make it this year!

¡Gora San Fermin! wink

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments