Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#50880 - 04/09/01 03:59 PM Re: How are you supposed to know...?
connie Offline

I do not agree with what Emiliano says. The issue of closing hours is not only about the power of unions, it is also about the way of life. Sure, there are many different opinions in this matter, but I think what la maestra heard from her friends does reflect what many people believe and I cannot see why that would be anyhow ridiculous.
In Germany, one of the strongest opponents of longer store opening hours is the Christian Social Union, the ruling party in Bavaria which in spite of having "Social" in its name is the most conservative of the German established parties and is NOT close to the trade unions. It is NOT only union members that favor the regulation of opening hours.
It is very much open to discussion whether longer hours really lead to more employment. In Germany, after the stores got authorized to open longer (now until 4pm on Saturday), many stores just made use of that possibility in the beginning, but then decided to return to the original hours because customer demand was not as increased as to justify the additional costs.

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: connie ]

#50881 - 04/09/01 07:58 PM Re: How are you supposed to know...?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
There's little doubt that Emiliano is right to a certain degree. But let's face reality, the roots to family are stronger in Spain than they are here in the US. As for the labor unions, there's no doubt they play an important factor in what is happening, but allowing big business to dictate what is, and is not acceptable, only leads to the demise of small businesses, throwing all these members of family owned enterprises into the mainstream of society, in need of jobs. That means the unemployment rate does not go down, it goes up. Making matters worse, the wages paid to the workers in big business ventures like Walmart and the rest is well below that needed to support a family, unless you're fortunate enough to rise above the lower positions to top management.

Family owned businesses are dying everywhere. If Unions are the savior of them, through their effort to maintain a fair lifestyle for their own people, I welcome them as a necessary evil to insure others can benefit from it, residually.

As for businessmen.... Spain, UK, US, it doesn't matter. The only thing that counts is the bottom line, and if they think they can feather their nests with money they don't have to pay out in wages and benefits, count on it happening.

As for the romantics amongst us.... count me as one.... keep on believing in family values. They only die when nobody remembers what they are, and the traditions are not passed on.

Wolf (A hopeful romantic)

#50882 - 04/28/01 09:15 AM Re: How are you supposed to know...?
Cheryl Offline

Loc: South Africa
Gee, you guys have really got me going now. I have no knowledge whatsoever of Spanish meals apart from Tortillo ... I suppose I'll live on them for the next 3 weeks. Is there anywhere on this incredibly wonderful site (it truly is) or elsewhere on the web where I can get some basic information ie shop/bank times ... where to or not to exchange T/Cheques ... some basic stuff for terrified people like I'm becoming confused

#50883 - 04/28/01 12:21 PM Re: How are you supposed to know...?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Don't panic, Cheryl, there's lots of info on how to deal with the money thing. It sounds like an ATM card will get you all the pts. you'll need and a credit card for bigger purchases. I know I don't ever set foot IN a bank and don't plan to in Spain! As to the comments on store hrs. etc. I grew up seeing my father pushed out of business,a small, quality grocery store in "Smalltown",USA even after even giving up hours w/family to stay open til 10PM to get a few extra $. Antonio was right in saying that the expense of longer hours ends up setting the stage for the big to become bigger and does not help the "mom & pops". What a loss this has been for this country that small business cannot compete. All you have to do is get off a suburban exit of an interstate highway...and you can't tell if you're in Chattanooga or Cinncinati. YUK

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1683 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments