Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50756 - 02/14/01 08:18 PM baby customs?
kaicee Offline

This may seem like an odd topic here, but after extensive searching, I have found no help elsewhere! My Spanish sister-in-law is having her first baby here in the US. She is no doubt missing her family, and we are wondering if there is something unique that the Spanish do to welcome new babies? They'll be moving to Madrid when the baby is about 6 months. I'll be back to this forum when I'm ready to go visit them! Thank you.

#50757 - 02/14/01 08:54 PM Re: baby customs?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I know that in Galicia and the Castilian province of Zamora they anoint the child with olive oil and place a garlic clove collar around the neck. This is to ensure the baby has a strong circulatory system and is blessed with soft skin. How close are you?

#50758 - 02/21/01 05:07 PM Re: baby customs?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I let it go a week this time, but so that Nicole doesn't think I'm not a man of my word, I will officially dismiss my prior post on this thread as 100% certifiable poppycock. You're all getting wiser. NO posts on that last one...I'll have to start slipping in some actual factuals to throw you off. I'm sure that the Gallego superstitions would surprise you all!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments