Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#50690 - 05/14/01 11:55 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Just in case you're wondering:

I got a note from jdowney today. She's walking the camino as I type no doubt. She seems to be doing well in spite of the blisters. Apparently she's alone now, as her father has headed off to Madrid. Her first epistle from the road was a little disheartening, as she said she was trudging through mud and that the road was actually closed after she got out. Keep her in your thoughts...especially those here in LA who've had the chance to meet her.

If anyone's planning on taking the Camino de Santiago, I suggest hooking up with jdowney and picking her brain. It sounds like she's really getting her fill of amazing experiences! Ultreya jdowney!!!

[ 05-17-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#50691 - 05/15/01 05:25 AM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
nevado Offline

Hey Calibasco, how's the planning going? I just thought of a couple more things you should consider taking with you on your trip. I took a couple boxes of energy bars/Nutragrain bars for those afternoon pick-me-ups when you don't want to stop and eat. We really only had breakfast and dinner while biking. I'd have a bar and fruit for lunch because I knew that if we stopped for a Spanish meal we'd never make it more than 15 Km. a day, not to mention the wine! I've ridden my bike drunk before in Ireland and believe me, it's not fun (or easy) OR SAFE! Couldn't resist those pints of Guinness while watching Spain womp all over England. (in the olden days)! smile
Also, I'd suggest Gatorade gum- I'm sure it doesn't do anything for you but it was fun. Take some powder for drinks- Gatorade or some of those energy packs (those blue ones- can't remember what they're called). I made one water bottle with the drink and another with just water. It was a nice boost on hot afternoons. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but bring some spices along in zip lock bags- it will give your cooking some life after 3 weeks of eating pasta! smile Perhaps you could take some packets from fast food restaurants too, sugar, lemon, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, etc. They will come in handy! You can then trade the space with things you pick up along the way. Make sure you take some sort of detergent in a ziplock as well. More small things like shampoo in tiny bottles, hotel soaps, etc. lighten the load as you use/discard. Practice riding with a full load so you get used to the weight distribution and play around with what you're comfortable with and where you handle your weight best.
When are you going? I want to go!!!! frown

#50692 - 05/17/01 04:00 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the tips Nevado. The more I post on this the more I salivate over the trip. I'll be leaving next April. We actually should start and finish within that month. I'm planning about three weeks, with two of them on the bike.

I'm planning on bringing PowerBars (I know one of the spokespeople so I get them either free or super-discounted). I just picked up a Camelbak pack for water/fluids. I rode 100 miles last weekend in the MS 150 bike tour, and that was a lifesaver. I'm fairly certain that water is available regularly, with all the small towns, etc. Do you have any practical info on that?

Since I'm sure it will be raining in the mountains (and Galicia no doubt), what would you suggest for rain gear? I have some thoughts, but wanted to know if you knew anything that did/didn't work for you.

At this point it looks like two for sure, and most likely three riders...you're welcome to come along, ¡el camino es ancho!

Thanks again for your help...!

#50693 - 05/18/01 07:36 AM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
nevado Offline

Hola, and thanks for the invite! Unfortunately, getting three weeks off in April is next to impossible but I'll be with you in spirit! I'm actually thinking of squeezing two weeks in during Semana Santa to go biking in Vietnam. I'll have to see about that. I may be in a more hang on the beaches of Bali mood by then.
You sound like you're on your way handling 100 miles in a weekend. Keep it up and you'll sail through the camino.
Water is readily available in the towns and there are numerous fuentes along the way to refill.
Since you're going in April, you should really be looking into snow chains for your bike. smile I was in O'Cebreiro in April and there was a blizzard. Hope you don't hit crazy weather like that. As long as you have good panniers your stuff should stay dry. You could always pack everything in ziplocks and hope for the best. I just took a rain jacket with a hood and looked like a fool in the rain with my helmet over the hood. I wore lycra pants and just dealt with it. I suppose you could get some rain pants but you're probably going to get soaked and muddy regardless. You may need to stick to only paved surfaces during the rain because some of the trails could get messy. I just hope it doesn't get too cold for you.
Let the countdown begin!

#50694 - 05/18/01 01:12 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Okay...now you're scaring me! eek I remember your report of O Cebreiro... Although I was born and raised in Minnesota, my blood has thinned considerably since moving to California.

What kind of footwear did you use? I'm glad to hear that water is in rich supply. Perhaps in light of your comments we'll plan to start a little later in April and maybe go to the first week of May. I think I'll consult with family in Spain, too...since we'll be starting at their house in the Pyrennees.

#50695 - 05/22/01 09:08 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I wanna go too!!!! laugh

#50696 - 05/23/01 07:06 AM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
nevado Offline

Hey everyone, I'm back...too much work lately. frown Anyway, the shoes were just Shimano biking shoes, nothing fancy but extremely comfortable. I think they were around $70 way back when. If I wouldn't look like a fool, I'd love to wear them to work! eek
I think it would be wise to try and hit the end of April/early May. The later the better. Could you imagine biking on ice? Now that's a horrid thought.

#50697 - 05/24/01 10:55 AM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Biking on ice? Three words for you Nevado: Paperboy in Minnesota! smile

Nicole- What's stopping you? Let's go!

#50698 - 05/24/01 09:55 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Be careful! I just might take you up on it!! I have great friends and a beautiful, sweet boyfriend, but I can't picture any of them willing to trek in the rain of northern Spain on bike. frown

Cali, did you join up with a bike group in L.A? I have been searching for one on the internet; just to get out and practice on the week ends (although I commute to work often by bike, it isn't very far,and I find myself pretty undisciplined on the week ends).

#50699 - 05/25/01 05:00 PM Re: Camino Francés / Camino de Santiago
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Telepolis.com is a great Spanish portal with lots of interesting contents.

They regularly make some research on a specific subject and compile a list of links. One of these monográficos is about el Camino de Santiago .

Hope you enjoy Telepolis.com as much as I do. It's one of the Antonio's favourite sites. smile

Regards,

Antonio

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments