Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50571 - 12/30/00 11:22 AM Madrid for Moms and their children
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
HeLLo All...

Don't know if anyone out there shares my situation, but, here it is: I try to go to Spain once a year to visit my in-laws (usually for a month) and take my two children. I would LOVE to know of any types of monthly-run, school-like programs for toddlers there...OR better yet, any types of groups of people like myself who also spend about a months time in Madrid with their children. I do know of several groups like "the Newcomers Club," etc. but that's generally for Americans or Brits who reside in Spain year round.

Any info is a great help!

tracy

#50572 - 12/30/00 05:30 PM Re: Madrid for Moms and their children
Nuria Offline

Hey Tracy,
There are some good activities for children. You can enroll your children to one of those summer camps. Usually they are like 10 days. The only problem is that Dani is too young (I think that have to be like 6 or 7 years old) and he should speak some Spanish first so he won't feel too "different" from the rest. I believe that there some languages schools that have pretty good Spanish classes for children where the learn singing and playing.
Besos...Nuria

#50573 - 12/30/00 05:56 PM Re: Madrid for Moms and their children
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Tracy!

I haven't heard of a monthly program for toddlers, but have you looked into signing up in a good guarderia for a month? They all have school-like programs, with fine motor skills work, and they start letters and numbers early - before 3 years old. They are also great places for socialization and practicing Spanish. My experience with the guarderia my children went to was excellent. It was much better for them than staying at home with an au pair while I was at work. You may be able to find one that will take your children for a month. The best thing to do would be to ask around in Madrid, and see if anyone who has a child in a guarderia is happy with it. They open and close, and change employees, often, so it would be best to talk to someone who is experiencing it now. Maybe your mother-in-law can help out by asking around. Will you be going in summer? Some guarderias close in August. Also, there are guarderias that claim to be bilingual (Spanish/English), which you may or may not want!

There are summer camp programs outside the city, but they would be better for children older than toddlers. (Whoa! Nuria was typing that up while I was thinking about it! )

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 12-30-2000).]

#50574 - 01/13/01 09:52 AM Re: Madrid for Moms and their children
Tracy Moral Offline

Thanks Nuria and Diana.,..

i'm taking your advice although if I DARE put my children in a guarderia my mother-in-law would be thoroughly insulted!!! (heeehee) Especially considering that she doesn't work and could take perfectly good care of her grandchildren.
What I'd really like to see is some kind of travelers club-type thing for parents who visit Madrid often enough to meet each year...Maybe next time I go I'll start something up!

tracy

[This message has been edited by Tracy Moral (edited 01-13-2001).]

#50575 - 01/14/01 12:09 PM Re: Madrid for Moms and their children
Nuria Offline

Poor abuela...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments