Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50544 - 01/04/01 02:46 PM health insurance
amy kaminsky Offline

I'll be in Spain for 7 months and would like to have health insurance while I'm there. Does anyone have any ideas or information about buying health insurance in Spain?

#50545 - 01/04/01 02:54 PM Re: health insurance
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Amy, I'm guessing you are a student from your email address - if so, your student coverage should be transferable is you are doing a year abroad. If you aren't a student - check with your insurance carrier - I believe most have some sort of stipulated coverage available while you are overseas.

#50546 - 01/04/01 02:57 PM Re: health insurance
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
My mistake - this was posted in Working in Spain - not studying in Spain. My apologies!
Will you be teaching in or in some way affiliated with a US academic institution? If so, my original comments should be valid as far as coverage. Do get in touch with your insurance group and let us know what you find out.

#50547 - 01/04/01 03:14 PM Re: health insurance
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Amy, check out Sanitas at http://www.sanitas.es/

I used this insurance company in addition to the regular seguridad social while I lived there. It works very well, and it even covers you when you leave the country, something you don't see too often.I used it to cover me when I moved back to the States.

However, if your job provides you with the normal Spanish public health coverage through seguridad social, you may not want more than that. It's really not bad. It has improved a lot since years ago. As a matter of fact, if anything really serious happens to you medically while you're in Spain, you are often better off going to a seguridad social hospital than to a private one.

Anyway, check out Sanitas's website - it's very thorough,includes descriptions of plans and prices, and even has an English version. I found them very easy to work with.

#50548 - 01/07/01 10:41 AM Re: health insurance
Steveh Offline

Hi

I have just found this site and it looks right up my street.

I have decided to leave UK to work in Spain and i now take the first of what i am sure will be many steps before my move is complete.

I am a 40 year old Laundry manager and am very experienced in all aspects of this industry.

Does any body out there of what this trade is currently like in Spain, are many people doing it? What do you thinh ?

Please help

#50549 - 01/10/01 04:38 PM Re: health insurance
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Amy-
I work in the benefits industry and can tell you that all major carriers, even though they may be regional (i.e. Kaiser Permanente) have some sort of overseas coverage. Contact your carrier directly. In addition, if you are a teacher or student, you can get trip insurance with your ISTC identity card ( www.isic.org ). I got this in 1993 and when I had an accident playing basketball, my primary carrier reimbursed me AND I was reimbursed for my medical expenses (doctor, casting, crutches, etc.) by ISIC, no questions asked. I came out money ahead. Regardless, it was good coverage, and hassle-free. Good luck, and if you get insurance, break a leg!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 01-11-2001).]

#50550 - 01/21/01 04:10 PM Re: health insurance
lafrancaise Offline

Amy, I think I know you. I'm Marjorie from Bucknell --Kristina and Hal's mom. If it's you please email me at cauchemar@cfl.rr.com.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments