Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50380 - 11/16/00 09:18 AM Shots, Immunizations
Amy25 Offline

Loc: Troy, MI USA
My travel companions and I were having a discussion, well maybe a small agruement about whether or not you need any immunizations to travel in Spain, can you give me any personal feedback on this? My one friend is a little bit paranoid and I would really like to clarify this for her.

#50381 - 11/16/00 09:37 AM Re: Shots, Immunizations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Amy25, we from the USA (as you're from Michigan...but I won't hold this against you. heheehee.. considering we're a few days before the HUGE Ohio State University (my school) and University of Michigan football game/season finale) do not need any kind of shots to travel to Spain. Maybe, MAYBE, if one lived in some parts of Asia or central America, but even that I doubt. I've been to Spain 4 times and know for a fact that we don't need anything like this to visit. And by the way, you can drink the water too (at least in the cities with confidence).. and no, they don't eat tacos - like someone here at work (an Engineer, for goodness sake!) asked me the other day. Sheesh!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50382 - 11/16/00 09:41 AM Re: Shots, Immunizations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Just moved your/our posting(s) to this forum.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50383 - 11/16/00 09:48 AM Re: Shots, Immunizations
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I think all of us should have flu shots (not required, just recommended). Funny how quickly we 'catch' stuff when abroad! One of my friends had a nasty case of hepatitis (A?) that she picked up in mexico (from tacos and water?!?!? jajajaj): truth is, you can get Hep. anywhere, inc. good old USA. I'm thinking of having that vaccination, just cuz. You can tell I am turning into a middle aged worry wart/wort(?) but i hate being sick when i travel!!

#50384 - 11/16/00 01:11 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
here is a helpful site that might help you. www.gosafetravel.com

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#50385 - 11/16/00 01:19 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

missmadrid98, I went to the website you have listed above, but couldn't find anything about shots for traveling abroad. They do have a healthcare page, but it's not working. This is a shame because, coincidentally, I'm looking for definite information if immunizations are required for my Peru trip (Lima, Cuzco, Arequipa) this December/January. Anyone know? (hmm.. this is off topic and not even in the general chatter forum.... )

Saludos, MadridMan

#50386 - 11/16/00 01:58 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Like the others said, you do not need any immunizations to go to Spain. And you CAN drink the water!
One little story: I once got deathly ill, I mean deathly ill, when I travelled to a very small town in the Valle de Jerte in Extramadura. (We were visiting my husband's family). I'm not sure what it was, maybe the aiolli, maybe the water, but I was so ill, the cousin had to take me to the village doctor. Every 100 feet, he had to pull over for me. How embarassing!
Anyway, at the "hospital", there was a sign-in book that looked as old as the middle ages. I signed my name there, as people have been doing for eons. Got a shot in my b---, and felt better two days later.
I hated what I went through, but now am grateful for such an experience!
Still, the first few days in Spain, I am always a little cautious and so I just "ease" into the cuisine slowly and not scarf down all that chorizo and morcilla immediately.

#50387 - 11/16/00 02:32 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Madridman,

okay i found the info for you for peru. go to this link http://www.gosafetravel.com/healtcare.htm then click on vaccinations. then it will open another window for you. toward the top in bold caps is the word DESTINATIONS click on there and you can choose your countries from there. i clicked on tropical south america and it gave info for peru. let me know if you find it!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#50388 - 11/16/00 06:35 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
hey there madridman:
finished doing a bit of research for you on this one. i just spoke with the person i knew who would have the most solid information on this. (my mother) my family owned our own travel agency and travel college for 12 years. thus, its a right of passage that we all have decent insight.

the answer is no, you don't have any particular immunizations that are required. however, a few words of GOOD advice. hepatitis is a problem in peru. its best to have a vaccination before going. also, take along purification tablets for water if you plan to brush your teeth. you'll want to use them even when using bottled water. most fruit, vegetables, and the majority of dairy products can be hard on the tummy. you'll want to make sure you indulge in the coca tea when you arrive. the first few days may bring about altitude sickness. last suggestion, try and down a serving of yogurt each day for about two weeks prior to leaving. the enzymes in the yogurt will build an immunity to many of the parasites and viruses you may be exposed to.

all this advice is courtesy of my mother. she was the owner and administrator of our travel business. on all of her travels through peru ONLY two people did not become ill.(she being one of them) she says that in the main cities of cuzco, lima and the area surrounding macchu picchu are quite safe. 'tis just when you adventure out that you need to be ready.

#50389 - 11/16/00 06:50 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
nicholas Offline

miss amy:
as everyone has said, no, shots are not needed to travel to spain. the immunization process that was common for european travel in years passed has not been a requirement since the late 1970's. as madridman mentioned, the water is safe to drink. purification of water has become the norm in most of western europe for the past two decades.
...and no, the spaniards do not eat tacos, enchiladas, tamales, tostadas, chile rellenos, guacamole. you think you have it bad in ohio madridman? ha! here in california the majority of the people i run into think spain is a third world country, "down south somewhere." and they're great contribution to world cuisine is that orange-like rice you get in mexican restaurants called "spanish rice." i've never encountered the stuff in spain. all of this and california is actaully ATTACHED to mexico!!! GEEEZ!! let's have three cheers for american geographical and cultural knowledge. =(

#50390 - 11/16/00 06:57 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
ditto. I have been to Peru a couple of times and never needed any shots, although the hepatitus one is a really good idea, just in general. Actually, a couple of years ago, they wouldn't give my sister a tranfusion because possibility of Hep. in Wisconsin, she was so sick it could have killed her. And, a friend of ours got hepatitus in Spain from Paella, they think.

I did eat fruits and vegetables while in Peru, but usually only things where you could peel off the outer layer, after washing it (I bought some delicious stuff in Aguas Calientes - the biggest avacados I have ever seen in my life - as big as my head!!). I would not recommend salads in restaurants. You have to be a little more careful with things that grow in the ground. I only ate salads at home, when I had soaked the lettuce in a big pot of water and a capfull of bleach.

If you head up to Cusco, take it a little slowly. I wouldn't suggest any alchohol at least the first night, because the altitude can make you really nauseous. My boyfriend was fine, but I got really light-headed and nauseous if I tried to walk uphill too fast the first few days.

#50391 - 11/16/00 09:05 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
nicholas Offline

you're exactly right nicole. anything with a hard peelable skin should be fairly safe. as you said though, due take care with things grown in the ground.

#50392 - 11/17/00 05:47 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Watch out for those pickled boqerones they give you as a tapa. I used to get the trots every time I went to Spain until I identified them as the cause. I haven't eaten them since (a long long time ago) and have never again had a problem.
Cantabene

#50393 - 11/17/00 07:04 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Wierd about the pickled boquerones, because they come from a container; the vinagre/oil is a classic ANTI-bacteria, etc. Maybe it's just you! I eat them by the tons and no trots. Churros con chocolate the first few days, tho, are, well, let us say, a relaxant.

#50394 - 11/18/00 09:04 AM Re: Shots, Immunizations
sevilla Offline

It is funny, when you go to Spain you don't need shots but when you come to live to USA you need like 9. I asked to my doctor if Americans are afraid of catching something from me and he said, no, it is for your own protection, you never know what you can find there... I guess he was joking.

#50395 - 11/18/00 01:45 PM Re: Shots, Immunizations
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
rgf:
Someone offered to me the explanation that the problem may arise when the boquerones are permitted to become contaminated or stale before being pickled.
Cantabene

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments