Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50300 - 10/20/00 09:19 AM How are the people?
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
Hi all!
I've been reading this forum for about two days digging for information regarding Madrid. I will stay there between 4 and 13 November, I don't know where yet. I think this kind of communication is amazing, especially the MadridMan general invitiation to his party.
Happy Birthday, MadridMan. I regret that I couldn't come to your party, unfortunately I will be in Madrid one month after it.
Anyway, in 1998 I travelled in France (Paris and Toulon) for my holiday and, although I stayed at a friend's of my husband's grandmother I couldn't make any friends, I couldn't even have some conversations with the people. And her nephew with some of his friends were guests there too. Well, on short I found the French people very cold and self centered, proud in a negative way (I don't know the word for it, sorry) and so I greatly missed my friends from home.

Do you think we can made some new friends in such a short time? Maybe if we are staying at a hostal or so? Are the Spanish warm and sociable? or depends on my luck?

I read so many beautiful things about this country and people that I cannot wait to visit Madrid!

Thanks all of you!

I would definitely keep in mind a description of the things I will see post it here.

#50301 - 10/20/00 04:54 PM Re: How are the people?
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
madridman had a birthday?

Leche

#50302 - 10/21/00 01:37 AM Re: How are the people?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Xena, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise! Spain, no matter where you seem to go, is replete with wonderful people. I've traveled and lived extensively in the northern areas, also in Madrid, and the people there have been nothing short of fantastic to me. I don't know the south from experience too well, but everyone in Spain tells me that the andaluces are the friendliest, so I'm sure things are great there too. Bottom line: Spain is not France.

#50303 - 10/21/00 05:39 PM Re: How are the people?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
The French and the Spanish are different. However, just like every country, I think thaat you will find rude people everywhere. For me it seemed as if many of the nicer people were further away from the busy parts of the city. I know that the people in some of the small towns surrounding Madrid seemed a lot more friendly to me. I guess there's a lot less stress and they're not in a hurry, so they seem to be more relaxed and friendly.
I'm sure you'll find many nice folks in Madrid. Have fun.

#50304 - 10/21/00 06:56 PM Re: How are the people?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Xena! Welcome to the group!!!!

The party in Madrid was just a general invitation for anyone who wanted to get together, but it wasn't my birthday - that's in December (Please, no cash should be sent. Just money orders, cashiers checks, Spanish coffee, olives, anything from Tienda.com , postcards from Madrid, and...umm... Hmmm.. Guess I should start a list. hehehehe).

But seriously folks, the Spanish are a mixed bag. Many/Most are warm and friendly and ALL are socialable/sociable (hmmm.. which is it??) ESPECIALLY AFTER you get to know them.

Here are a few links to threads in this forum that I think you'll find interesting:
http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000024.html http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000010.html http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000040.html http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000025.html http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000064.html

....and THESE are only a few of them!!! MOST of the people registered here on the message board are great lovers of Spain and Spaniards (and some are even lovers WITH Spaniards --.. WHAT?! Did *I* say that??!! hehehe).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50305 - 10/23/00 03:55 AM Re: How are the people?
Xena Offline

I don't know why I said "birthday". Sorry. Perhaps I was a little dizzy after I studied for so long this site hihi
I will definitely tell you my impressions about Spain and Spaniards (or Spanish people?) after my visit.
You made me so curious!!!

#50306 - 10/23/00 06:46 AM Re: How are the people?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Over the years, I have found that invariably when I was travelling solo, people would be much more likely to offer to help or to just be friendly. People all over (in France, too) are much less likely to approach two or more people speaking a different language from theirs. It's a 'shell' you create when you travel as a group: I think you will find it similar in Spain (to France, that is). Have you considered that the people might be just being polite, not 'cold,' as you perceive them?

#50307 - 10/23/00 08:00 AM Re: How are the people?
Xena Offline

Well, Eddie, you see, when people from other countries come to ours, I want to know what are the habits, how is their usual life from where they come. So we speak about the differences between our ideas and I and my conationals are enjoying that very much. If I can I go with them in the mountains or at the seaside and I try to make them feel nice. For example two American friends came to me a few years ago and they spoke half a night with some policemen who were patrolling (I don't know if this is the correct word) and drank beer and had fun. And I gave a party for them. Here if you have the chance to meet foreigners you want to know how they think and what they want.

In France they didn't even speak with us. And if they spoke it was polite, yes, but they wanted to get rid of us sooner the better although we stayed in the same house and were almost the same age. They weren't intersted in us, they didn't want to learn anything about my country and I met like 50-70 people or so, friends of the lady who was our hostess and who was the only exception. It's true that she has friends in many parts of the world, but her guests and grandchildren were as I said: cold. I don't think that they spoke with us more than half an our in ten days, even at lunch or dinner. They didn't want to stay on the beach near us or at the same table in the pub (they were like 10 or fifteen people) and I'm a very sociable person, I have a lot of friends and I always made new ones and I surely know how to have fun.
Perhaps there are many French people who are different but me and a lot of other friends of mine don't have a nice opinion af them, they look at you like "hey, I'm French, so I must be smarter and superior to you, so I don't care what you think". Well, I'm sorry if I exagerate a little, this is a site about Spain, not France and I heard only beautiful words about Spaniards and I cannot wait to get there and see these great places and nice people.

#50308 - 10/24/00 06:15 AM Re: How are the people?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Spain and France share a border and that's about all. They're worlds apart - though I've been told that the Catalans are a bit "French-like", but that may be due to their apparent desire to be distinct from the rest of Spain! Anyhow Xena, I found it impossible to imagine any Spanish people behaving like the French you describe.

#50309 - 10/25/00 02:00 PM Re: How are the people?
brianvc Offline

Loc: texas, usa
i think the spanish are wonderful people, and i have never even been to the south!!! all of my adventures have been in Catalunya and Euskadi, with a jaunt or two into the hills of aragon. they are all so friendly when you get to know them. but i agree with the person who said they might be reluctant to approach or engage when they know you speak english or are with people who speak another language.
probably just a natural human reaction.

i did find that older people were less than impressed with me and my british friends when i was in spain (though im from texas). i guess this could be just old people though.

an attempt to speak spanish with people will be most rewarded...and attempt to speak catalan with catalans will get you a free drink or two. an attempt to speak basque with basques will probably get you anything you ask for!! hahah!

show interest in their local culture and history. it will be most appreciated.

by the way, xena, what country are you from?
brian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments