Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#50252 - 09/12/00 10:54 PM National Day (Oct.12) in Spain: What happens?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I recently received an email asking what happened in Spain during National Day (Dia Nacional) on October 12th. This was a timely question because I too will be in Spain (in Madrid) and would love to know what to expect. Is there a kind of festival, exposition, or other event to mark the day? Is this a normal working day for Spain? Are many/any establishments closed like museums, restaurants, or the like? Also, is this the same as Columbus Day here in the USA? I know. I know. So many questions. I can't wait to hear the answers!

And remember (how could you forget, right?), this is just ONE DAY AFTER the "Party With MadridMan: Version 2" at El Brillante bar/eatery. We'd love to see you there! Click HERE for details.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50253 - 09/13/00 12:12 PM Re: National Day (Oct.12) in Spain: What happens?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I am most embarrased to say that I don't remember that "fiesta". Antonio, HELP!!!

#50254 - 09/13/00 05:52 PM Re: National Day (Oct.12) in Spain: What happens?
connie Offline

It is a public holiday, so people normally do not work. In many companies, people will take a long weekend (a puente) if the day falls on a Tuesday or Thursday (thus, they take Monday or Friday respectively off as well), in that case they talk about the puente del pilar, because as far as I recall the day is also el "día del Pilar" (that is, it is dedicated to Saint Mary).
There is a huge military parade on the Castellana. I was there the last two times---oh nostalgia... The majority of restaurants seem to be open, some museums might be closed, though.

#50255 - 09/13/00 06:09 PM Re: National Day (Oct.12) in Spain: What happens?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Madridman,

Have you tried doing some search using "National Day" as keyword?. You will find the same question here .

Shops are closed during this day but I guess all restaurants are opened. As for museums, it changes every year. I have the special schedules for 1999 but not the 2000 ones yet. (Don't worry, I will have them by the time you come to Hostal Chelo).

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#50256 - 09/14/00 02:50 PM Re: National Day (Oct.12) in Spain: What happens?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHAAHAHAHAAA!!! OHMYGOD!! Is this terrible or what????!!! Someone has to tell ME to do a SEARCH on my own message board! And even worse, I REPLIED to the original poster to which Antonio refers. Incredible. JUST incredible. Well...there you have it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments